Password
This Thread is Closed.

10:48 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
The other day an individual I worked with referred to another worker as the n-word and when I pointed out that I was black, he reiterated the Chris Rock distinction between black people a n*ggers. This individual also said, "I hate Spanish people.We live in America, they need to speak American." To which I replied, "That is a nationality, not a language." Anyway, I think I underestimated the effect that it can have on me, as I assumed I'd be used to racist rhetoric, but it is incredibly dispiriting and depressing. I was surprised at how it made me feel even days after these incidents had occurred. In any event, this thread is for comments directed towards you or comments you have heard of the racist variety.
10:54 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
xapplexpiex
&.&
Warren, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
the Chris Rock distinction between black people a n*ggers. .
My dad is very racist and uses this as an excuse. When I get mad at him, he asks me why I'm mad because I'm not black. It went over his head.
11:02 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
bNz719
Know more.
Temecula, CA
Male - 22 Years Old
The other day in English, a guy said that having Muslim airport security was ironic and not more than ten minutes later, a girl said that gays should not be in the military because they will be more likely to rape other people. Made me want to
11:10 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
The whole Chris Rock scenario is exactly why black people are stuck in this predicament. I am black and it burns me from the inside out when I hear other black people still using the n word towards each other. The Chris Rock thing only makes it worse b/c he is giving other races an excuse to continue to use bigotry. Another example is when Nas named his album N****er and expected people to just understand the point he was trying to make by naming his album that. It doesn't matter what reasoning you put behind using that language, you are giving everyone the okay to go ahead and use it as well. I've heard that word thrown around by all races my whole life, by people I considered friends, who said the same thing you did about how it didn't apply to 'all black people' and its disgusting. Ending ignorance ends with ourselves in our own communities and until that happens, shit's just going to keep getting worse.
11:21 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
The whole Chris Rock scenario is exactly why black people are stuck in this predicament. I am black and it burns me from the inside out when I hear other black people still using the n word towards each other. The Chris Rock thing only makes it worse b/c he is giving other races an excuse to continue to use bigotry. Another example is when Nas named his album N****er and expected people to just understand the point he was trying to make by naming his album that. It doesn't matter what reasoning you put behind using that language, you are giving everyone the okay to go ahead and use it as well. I've heard that word thrown around by all races my whole life, by people I considered friends, who said the same thing you did about how it didn't apply to 'all black people' and its disgusting. Ending ignorance ends with ourselves in our own communities and until that happens, shit's just going to keep getting worse.
Honestly, I've no problem with the use of the term between African-Americans, so long as it is used in terms of camaraderie; that is, one has a best friend and refers to them as "my n*gga".
11:25 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
Honestly, I've no problem with the use of the term between African-Americans, so long as it is used in terms of camaraderie; that is, one has a best friend and refers to them as "my n*gga".

You should have a problem with it. It's not endearing and its not friendly. It's detrimental to our growth as a race. We've managed to brainwash ourselves into thinking that and that's the saddest part.
11:29 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
StepsInADance
http://taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com/
Miami Fl
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm hispanic and during the time when the Arizona Immigration law was being protested I went online a lot and looked up information on it. There was a lot of websites where people could leave comments, and some of them were the most hateful, ignorant comments ever. It was, as the OP said, pretty dispiriting.
11:34 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
You should have a problem with it. It's not endearing and its not friendly. It's detrimental to our growth as a race. We've managed to brainwash ourselves into thinking that and that's the saddest part.
The word itself isn't the issue, it is a matter of what it represents, namely the material oppression of African-Americans.
11:40 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
white plains, ny
Female - 29 Years Old
The word itself isn't the issue, it is a matter of what it represents, namely the material oppression of African-Americans.

Precisely. And as you just put it previously, saying someone is 'my *****' is just as ignorant sounding in my humble opinion. But agree to disagree.
11:46 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
Precisely. And as you just put it previously, saying someone is 'my *****' is just as ignorant sounding in my humble opinion. But agree to disagree.

You would probably have a rage explosion if you lived down here because everyone says the n word except me
11:46 AM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
I just think the reclamation of the word is important. That is not the same as endorsing others saying it.
12:03 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
There was a fish in the percolator
Twin Peaks
Male
Discovered this on Google maps the other day:

12:05 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Hail Lelouch
The other day in English, a guy said that having Muslim airport security was ironic and not more than ten minutes later, a girl said that gays should not be in the military because they will be more likely to rape other people. Made me want to
Lol the fuck are these people
12:19 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
A word is a word.
12:20 PM on 03/20/11 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an