Password

Album Review

Simple Plan - Get Your Heart On! Album Cover

Simple Plan - Get Your Heart On!

Reviewed by
Simple PlanGet Your Heart On!
Record Label: Atlantic Records
Release Date: June 21st, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
In the lifespan of a pop band, they usually churn out an album or two, do pretty well on one of them and then bomb the other. They're subsequently dropped from their label, eventually break up, and then fall into a bottomless black pit of musical nothingness. Simple Plan, although highly successful, also looked like they could possibly be seeing a similar type of fate.

After exploding into the music scene with the now double platinum debut, No Pads, No Helmets...Just Balls, they followed it up with a so-so Still Not Getting Any. Then what seemed like a point of no return, they released the abysmal self-titled album four years later. What else could a new album possibly sound like after their take on a weird pop-punk-rock-hip-hop hybrid? Could they find any way to one-up their previous post-apocalyptic-burning-city album cover? Well, the result is a return to form album, of course. I mean, it's what everyone else is doing these days. It's almost a natural progression now at this point. But that's not to sound like I'm discrediting it. If it sounds good, I couldn't care less. And the truth of the matter is, Simple Plan's new album, Get Your Heart On!, is the best album of their career, and one of the best in the genre thus far in 2011.

With the record's cheeky title (it's a boner joke, in case you needed that cleared up for you), it's obvious that they're not going to be taking too many risks with this one (yet there are a few surprises). "You Suck at Love" kicks off Get Your Heart On!, further proving the album's purpose. The chorus is monstrous and is definitely the biggest hook the band has ever written; vocalist Pierre Bouvier sounds better than ever. "Loser of the Year" is as vintage-Simple Plan as you'll get. The song maintains its pop-punk aspect without going overboard on any cheesiness, while "Jet Lag" is Simple Plan's first big single in a long time, almost in vein of No Pads' "I'd Do Anything." Not as rocking, but packs the same similar punch. Featuring Natasha Bedingfield (the "Unwritten" gal for you U.S. folk), if any single were to throw Simple Plan back into the limelight, it'd be "Jet Lag."

Get Your Heart On! features a variety of guest vocalists. Weezer's Rivers Cuomo adds his quirkiness to the anthemic "Can't Keep My Hands Off You," while All Time Low crooner Alex Gaskarth lends a verse to the dancy "Freaking Me Out," which ends up being a bit of an underwhelming song after expecting so much from it. Rapper K'naan adds his swag to the reggae inspired "Summer Paradise." Even though the "rapper on a pop song" gimmick has grown stale rather quickly, it surprisingly works and sounds like a song that Plain White T's wish they could write.

Along with breezy summer tunes and numerous guest appearances, Get Your Heart On! also has its fair share of mellower tracks like the arena rock "Astronaut," and the somber "Gone Too Soon." Although I was hoping for an album full of in-your-face hooks and melodies, I still welcome the softer ones here. Unlike most pop bands and their ballads, the ones here don't sound like they were just thrown on for the sake of it. They're just as catchy and strong as the more uptempo ones. Get Your Heart On! finishes with the ambitious closer, "This Song Saved My Life," marking a suitable end to an album that may have saved their credibility.

Its been an interesting career for Simple Plan, and now with Get Your Heart On!, it doesn't seem like it will be over any time soon. Get Your Heart On! is a Simple Plan album -- it's an obvious statement, but one that some people will have trouble realizing anyway. Because of this, it's still one of the poppiest records you'll hear all year. The production is big, and the lyrics are ridiculous. But Simple Plan has done their dirty work, and to quote Planes, Trains & Automobiles, "What you see is what you get." It would be foolish to expect anything more.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) You Suck at Love
02) Can't Keep My Hands Off You (feat. Rivers Cuomo)
03) Jet Lag (feat. Natasha Bedingfield)
04) Astronaut
05) Loser of the Year
06) Anywhere Else But Here
07) Freaking Me Out (feat. Alex Gaskarth)
08) Summer Paradise (feat. K'naan)
09) Gone Too Soon
10) Last One Standing
11) This Song Saved My Life
Produced by: Brian Howes

Simple Plan is:
Pierre Bouvier - vocals
Sebastien Lefebvre - guitars
Jeff Stinco - guitars
David Desrosiers - bass
Chuck Comeau - drums

Official Website
- Twitter - Amazon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 60
09:58 PM on 05/22/11
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Kick-ass review, Joe. Their best album to date? Jesus. Consider my excitement increased.
10:38 PM on 05/22/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Excited to hear this later in the week. Wasn't expecting much but the way you're talking about it makes me excited. Will be fun to compare this to Dirty Work.
11:28 PM on 05/22/11
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
i like the way you write, this review was was really to the point. the intro tied in very well what you had to say. excite to hear this record. i liked shut up a lot haha!
11:41 PM on 05/22/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Nice review, I just don't believe this album will be any good. All the songs that I've heard suck.
11:54 PM on 05/22/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
The song with Rivers was a fun pop song. That's all I listen to this band for anyways.
11:59 PM on 05/22/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Nice review, I just don't believe this album will be any good. All the songs that I've heard suck.

Haha well if you never liked them anyway then the album definitely won't change your mind. I do think it's stronger than new ATL though and I know you hate that haha.

The song with Rivers was a fun pop song. That's all I listen to this band for anyways.

All of Rivers' co-writes (or the four I can think of) have been badass.
12:01 AM on 05/23/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Haha well if you never liked them anyway then the album definitely won't change your mind. I do think it's stronger than new ATL though and I know you hate that haha.

All of Rivers' co-writes (or the four I can think of) have been badass.
Sick. When it comes to Simple Plan I don't "plan" on finding any substance, I just like warm weather music. This makes me happy.
12:37 AM on 05/23/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They always keep truckin along. I respect them for that.
02:32 AM on 05/23/11
2LW
I'm starting to decompose
User Info.
Excited to hear this later in the week. Wasn't expecting much but the way you're talking about it makes me excited. Will be fun to compare this to Dirty Work.
Keagan gave a 74. Joe gives a 74. Holy shit (irrelevant but the album got a 78) coincidence. Haha.
02:39 AM on 05/23/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Looking forward to listening to this
04:32 AM on 05/23/11
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
the post-apocalyptic-burning-city album cover wasn't the official album cover!!! it was the alternate one that the fans didn't vote for prior to the release of their self titled full length. The real album cover is this:
04:37 AM on 05/23/11
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
I haven't listened to these guys since high school. I'm interested in hearing some new songs, though.
04:38 AM on 05/23/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Really good review, Joe. I agree with it; this is a record I'll be rocking all summer.

Get Your Heart On! > Dirty Work
06:37 AM on 05/23/11
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
I don't like this band, except for Untitled, I think. If I come across it I might give it a listen though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos