AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 8
Lyrics N/A
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
Musicianship 5.72
Production 5.72
Creativity 5.72
Lasting Value 5.72
Reviewer Tilt 5.72
Average: 57%
Inside AP.net

Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

Reviewed by: PeeDster (06/07/11)
Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Label: Temporary Residence
Release Date: April 18 (UK), April 26 (US), 2011

Explosions In The Sky is like a gateway drug into the world of post rock & instrumental music. Safe to say that everyone has given them a listen by now and decided whether or not they liked them. For the majority, it has to be said, really do enjoy their music. Their sweeping and majestic crescendos, laden upon what always begin as a bear boned idea, slowly rising into an orgasm of sound seem to really strike a nerve with their listeners. Many would deftly argue that they laid down the blueprint for so many post rock bands that followed and they are certainly not far from the truth. The identity they have carved out for themselves and imprinted on so many future ‘copycats’ is truly impressive.

Explosions… now offer their sixth studio album, titled Take Care, Take Care, Take Care. I admit that I have had difficulty thinking about what to write about it… not because it isn’t any good, for it really is good…mesmerising, beautiful and downright blissful in parts. Sound familiar? That’s exactly the “problem”. If you’ve ever heard an Explosions… album before you will know what to expect and nothing will come to you as a real surprise. I’ve been wanting them to push the envelope further; to take the post rock flag they currently still claim and blaze a trail even further into the wilderness of instrumental music to remind us all that they are still top dog. Sure, there are a few new things they’ve incorporated which I will be pointing out but ultimately Take Care… is not really a step forward, more of a lateral step to the side and a tip toe forward.

The instrumentation and melodies are solid as expected; the climaxes of the songs are as big and moving as always. This comes as no surprise; Explosions… are truly awesome at setting the tone and feel for a song. One surprise on the album is definitely “Trembling Hands” – a fast and moody percussion laden track which is quietly relentless in its approach. “Be Comfortable, Creature” is also a highlight with its shuffling drum beats and haunting melodies. The final track “Let Me Back In” sounds like a classic Explosions… song minus the drum beat which has a slight twist to it – it’s hard to describe but it is like an actual beat and not just a percussion piece that compliments the ‘scenic’ qualities of their guitar melodies. These rhythms still compliment the melodies beautifully, but they just offer the songs a different angle and drive that was not as apparent on older material. These three tracks showed me that Explosions… do have the ability to push their sound further and I really wish that this was explored a little further.

They are still a force to be reckoned with and they still write some of the best and most engaging instrumental music but without a small revolution in sound; their catalogue will (albeit, beautifully) end up blending together like one long song…

tracklisting1. Last Known Surroundings
2. Human Qualities
3. Trembling Hands
4. Be Comfortable, Creature
5. Postcard from 1952
6. Let Me Back In

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
06:19 AM on 06/07/11
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
I love this album all the way through. I definitely recommend it. But it is still classic Explosions. I feel like if they push the envelope, the product will be glorious.
06:26 AM on 06/07/11
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
Sounds exactly like every album they've ever made, and for that reason, I completely couldn't care less. I have just one album on my iTunes from this band but realistically, I'd be better off just choosing one song and sticking it on repeat. It's not that it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's just exceptionally uninteresting a decade and five albums later.
06:33 AM on 06/07/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Sounds exactly like every album they've ever made, and for that reason, I completely couldn't care less. I have just one album on my iTunes from this band but realistically, I'd be better off just choosing one song and sticking it on repeat. It's not that it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's just exceptionally uninteresting a decade and five albums later.
A little on the harsh side, Matt? But yes, I do see where you are coming from. I would recommend to listen to the three songs I singled out to see if you'd agree.
06:55 AM on 06/07/11
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
One thing I've always wondered about reviews of instrumental albums on here, does the lack of a score for lyrics and vocals make a difference to the overall score?

Good review, agree that they could of done something better, put them selves out there a bit in order to do something new and exciting, dangerous even. They do seem to have just played it safe and done what they always do. Not a bad thing, just nothing exciting.
07:03 AM on 06/07/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
One thing I've always wondered about reviews of instrumental albums on here, does the lack of a score for lyrics and vocals make a difference to the overall score?

Good review, agree that they could of done something better, put them selves out there a bit in order to do something new and exciting, dangerous even. They do seem to have just played it safe and done what they always do. Not a bad thing, just nothing exciting.
There is a problem with the scores on the main review page, yeah. It takes an N/A score as a 0, which sucks. So you have to open the actual review to see the actual score.
07:36 AM on 06/07/11
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
A little on the harsh side, Matt? But yes, I do see where you are coming from. I would recommend to listen to the three songs I singled out to see if you'd agree.
Maybe, it's nothing personal and certainly isn't an attack on your review, which is perfectly good. Just strikes me that this band receives a lot of easy acclaim and accolades for doing nothing great in a genre full of interesting and diverse artists.
07:42 AM on 06/07/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Maybe, it's nothing personal and certainly isn't an attack on your review, which is perfectly good. Just strikes me that this band receives a lot of easy acclaim and accolades for doing nothing great in a genre full of interesting and diverse artists.
Because within their specific style, they are still better then the rest on a whole? If they don't evolve, thats a different story.

Not worried about you attacking my review I know you well enough mate. hehe.
08:29 AM on 06/07/11
8SlicesOfPie
http://dwhb.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I agree with practically every review I read about this album, in that most of the stuff the band does on this album is nothing new. It's not a bad album, but I want something fresh from these guys.
08:48 AM on 06/07/11
lenard27
Let's Go Pens! And Yanks!
User Info.
I completely agree with the sentiments of their albums and songs beginning to blend together. Admittedly, I haven't heard this yet, but have most of their previous work. While I really do enjoy EITS, I prefer Russian Circles to them for that very reason, since every album of theirs has a different mood and vibe to it. A curve ball or two from EITS would be most welcome at this point.
08:52 AM on 06/07/11
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
I honestly don't have much of an issue with them making an explosions record. It's classic explosions, I don't know what more you could ask for. It's subtly different and still gives me chills anytime I listen.
09:10 AM on 06/07/11
FireInTheSky
User Info.
I think I'd agree with this review overall.
But at the same time, I think it's worth mentioning that, while their sound may not evolve drastically with every record, it's safe to say they never make an album that feels the same twice. All of their albums are evocative of incredibly different emotions and moods, and I appreciate that a lot.
09:21 AM on 06/07/11
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
I'm glad you scored this in the 75% range. I think that's pretty fair.
09:48 AM on 06/07/11
S7ranburgLar
We're not for them(and that's cool)
User Info.
The best background music of an activity you actually have to pay attention to.
09:52 AM on 06/07/11
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
periods go before quotation marks
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives