Password

Album Review

Basement - I Wish I Could Stay Here Album Cover

Basement - I Wish I Could Stay Here

Reviewed by
Basement - I Wish I Could Stay Here
Release date: July 5th, 2011
Record label: Run For Cover Records

Basement, an Ipswich, UK-based band release their first full length, I Wish I Could Stay Here, with the confidence and experience of a well-seasoned veteran; a welcome shot in the arm for a scene that was saturated with limp copycats of glory days long gone.

There is something very '90s emo (please don’t run away just yet) about Basement. I was immediately sucked back into my teenage years with glimpses of Sunny Day Real Estate and The Get Up Kids. So why mention other bands when I likened their genre comrades as copycats? Well, to put it simply, Basement stand apart from the crowd. They sound fresh and have a direct energy about their music that denotes a clear purpose, and that is to rock, very hard.

From the first track, "Fading," you are thrown into a barrage of riffs, driving drums and thick bass lines before the double vocal attack which reminded me somewhat of Hot Water Music with smoother edges. Vocally, Basement is simply excellent – on the one hand; raspy, passionate, loud vocals that are then counterbalanced by a smoother toned voice, no less passionate but allows you to swoop through the melodies with ease.

Lyrically, Basement are not exactly inspiring nor have they written anything that will mark you, but in their defense they are to the point and relatively solid and do not over extend themselves into cheap lines to capture the fragile imagination of a teenage/young adults emotional wreck.

"Canada Square" sees the band lower the tempo and volume taking you on a different journey entirely. The song "Earl Grey" is also a calmer number that gives a welcome change of pace to an album that is generally moving forward at a considerable pace. The vocals are still passionate, and before you know it the song bursts into a double time punk sounding explosion. "Ellipses" follows as an instrumental piece again slowing the pace down just a bit after the prior outburst. "Crickets Throw Their Voice" & "Every Single Word" are standouts. Relentless, they fight their way into your ears and body and you’ll be head banging your way through immediately; melodically superb, changes of pace within the song astute, vocally evocative – quality rock music.

The other songs are all solid in their own right – they, like the previously mentioned tracks, follow the same principles that saw the pioneers of the genre dig in their heels and be remembered for long over a decade now. I Wish I Could Stay Here, they say? Let me be first in line to welcome Basement in and sleep on the couch; heck, even my own bed is up for grabs if they continue to write music like this.

tracklisting1. Fading
2. Plan To Be Surprised
3. Canada Square
4. Crickets Throw Their Voices
5. Earl Grey
6. Ellipses
7. Every Single Word
8. Yoke
9. Grayscale
10. March

official website, lyrics, album purchaseBasement Official Website

RIYLSunny Day Real Estate, Get Up Kids, Hot Water Music, Crime In Stereo

This review is a user submitted review from PeeDster. You can see all of PeeDster's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49
05:56 AM on 07/27/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Very nice - I'm in love with this record. I'd add Balance & Composure to RIYL

05:58 AM on 07/27/11
InfiniteArms
#Nygma
User Info.
If people really think this sounds like Sunny Day Real Estate I guess I should start looking into trying to get into Sunny Day Real Estate again.

I can english. I'll prove it...later.
06:00 AM on 07/27/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
If people really think this sounds like Sunny Day Real Estate I guess I should start looking into trying to get into Sunny Day Real Estate again.
I was just reminded of it with some of the riffs/melodies
06:05 AM on 07/27/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Very nice - I'm in love with this record. I'd add Balance & Composure to RIYL

typo here FYI - "Basement are not exactly inspiring or written anything"
Cheers,

and I have never listened to B&C...I shall look into that.
06:07 AM on 07/27/11
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
RIYL: Title Fight, amirite?

Nice review though. I'm so pleased that a band like Basement actually emerged in the UK!!!
06:25 AM on 07/27/11
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.

I can english. I'll prove it...later.

It has some very similar qualities to Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate. So check out that album.
06:26 AM on 07/27/11
InfiniteArms
#Nygma
User Info.
It has some very similar qualities to Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate. So check out that album.
Cool man, I will!
06:41 AM on 07/27/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Cheers,

and I have never listened to B&C...I shall look into that.
Mistake dude.
06:42 AM on 07/27/11
fifpb99
User Info.
this band sounds exactly like title fight to me... good review

edit: and yes, listen to separation if you enjoyed this album... dear god.
06:53 AM on 07/27/11
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
Separation is a fantastic album. Big fan of Balance and Composure.

I wish I could stay here is probably my AOTY so far.
06:57 AM on 07/27/11
fifpb99
User Info.
RIYL: Title Fight, amirite?

yes... eerily similar
07:08 AM on 07/27/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Ha, I liked the closing of the review a lot.

Edit: I've said this so many times now but i'll say it again. I don't normally listen to this genre but I really, really love this band.
07:16 AM on 07/27/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Ha, I liked the closing of the review a lot.

Edit: I've said this so many times now but i'll say it again. I don't normally listen to this genre but I really, really love this band.
It's really the first time in years that a band in this genre has grabbed me this much.
07:25 AM on 07/27/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
It's really the first time in years that a band in this genre has grabbed me this much.
That says a lot.

When I first listened to the record, I wanted to skip tracks and be like nah...not my thing. But I couldn't, and I didn't. I found myself listening to them all, wanting to hear more. His voice is great.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos