AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

So Many Ways - 08.09.11

Interviewed by
So Many Ways - 08.09.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

So Many Ways (Questions answered by Murphy Welch, guitar/vox)

http://www.facebook.com/somanyways
http://somanyways.tumblr.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Our band name is actually a New Found Glory b-side. We all listened to NFG early on in our lives, and we figured a name we didn't have to think about much was better than an over-thought one we wouldn't feel comfortable making fun of. One name is as good as another - it's just a title.

2. How did this band get started?
Basically a common interest in creating something. We all went to college in Chicago and met through friends and happenstance and just sort of decided we could probably make something rad together.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I personally am influenced the most by bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me. Basically just bands who experiment and progress and refuse to stagnate or settle on anything. I know as a band we can agree on the reasons why I am influenced by them, but sonically I know we also draw from bands like Kid Dynamite and Smartbomb and more recently bands like Mastodon, Baroness, Red Fang, Darkest Hour and Unearth have grabbed my attention.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Wow, well I mean Led Zeppelin or Rush would be rad and so would Dillinger, but the problem is I wouldn't even be comfortable playing with them yet. I'm proud of our music, but I think those bands deserve a band that has matured a bit more. I would say right now we would love to be on an Every Time I Die tour. I just feel like they would make fun of us. I promise we're cool!

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Wack Arnolds. AKA McDonalds. Only sometimes. But for real, I'm sitting in the van now and I could go for some BBQ. I can always go for BBQ.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Haha. Honestly, people should listen to our band because were not going to half ass anything. As a band we've pretty much vowed to create something that hasn't been done before. We want to really contribute to music and give people something that progresses and widens their view of what is possible. That's a lofty goal, but I think any band striving towards something lofty is worth at least trying to listen to.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Kenny Powers. MFCEO.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank my parents, at the beginning and end. They have never second guessed me. I can't thank them enough for their support. My friends especially in Ohio deserve a lot of thanks for always being there for us on the road.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The backwards thinking of major labels. I mean everyone knows the industry isn't the same as it was when physical media was king, but there's more that they are backwards about. The dictation of everything an artist does is ridiculous and the idea that people wouldn't be interested in a band doing something different and trying to experiment is also amazingly backwards. I saw a letter Rolling Stone wrote addressing major label executives on the Internet the other day and it expressed the situation perfectly. It's as if they are trying to kill music.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We haven't toured much yet, but last tour we were on I was messing around in Michigan and had my guitar on and got up on top of our trailer and was rocking to all the cars driving by and some chicks rode by and flashed me. I was like "fuck, I wasn't even playing anything. If they heard my music they would probably be like 'fuck that let's throw eggs or like dirt at him.' " lol.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net has been my homepage for about 5 years now. It's given me news about bands I actually care about. I've also used it to find out about gear and book tours. My musical tastes have been progressively changing, and now I usually just restore my previous pages in my web browser but I still appreciate the home it has given so many kids on the web.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play is "37 Chambers." I get to play harmonized riffs, fast chords, and I have a verse of vocals. It's a diverse song and that makes it more interesting for me to play.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
New Zealand. I went there when I was 12. It has everything - beaches, mountains, rainforest, you name it.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Classic rock. I spent a lot of time on the road with my parents in a van traveling and listening to Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynard. It's still the best.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To freeze time at will, because why the fuck not? It gives you the benefits of speed, invisibility, and you don't need strength. But teleportation would rule too because damn, you could just go places and if you forgot something at home you just zap back. Grabbing a beer from the fridge is no longer a hassle.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really. Sometimes a shot of whiskey helps make sure the show is rad.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm a photography major, and I do almost all of the art and design for SMW. Also took our most recent promos. I have a hard time letting someone do something worse than I could do it lol.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Radio is stupid as fuck. I can't even believe it still exists. It's a testament to how much people will just eat shit if they're fed it.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I draw a lot and love to illustrate. I just play guitar a lot.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can blow spit bubbles off of my tongue and let them float in the gentle breeze. Lol.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:26 PM on 08/15/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
glad to see this band get some press. Chicago pride!
01:46 PM on 08/15/11
xNC1212x
@heroesny
User Info.
so many shredz.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT