AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Golden Shoulders - Friendship is Deep Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 5
Production 7
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 0.25
Musicianship 0.25
Lyrics 0.25
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 3%

Golden Shoulders - Friendship is Deep

Reviewed by: fearthetaint (05/07/08)
Golden Shoulders - Friendship is Deep
Record Label: Welcome Home
Release Date: April 22, 2008

Adam Kline is Golden Shoulders. Or at least for all intensive purposes he is. Being the only permanent member of Golden Shoulders, he takes the role of composer and figurehead for his band. Joining him on Friendship is Deep are a multitude of players described as being, “reasonably good musicians with good attitudes,” many who have played with A-list musicians ranging from Beck to Gnarls Barkley. So, the question remains: is Adam Kline a worthy enough bandleader to direct these musicians to further greatness? Well, I’m not entirely convinced. The benefit of being the sole permanent member is you receive all of the credit for your achievement. The downside is, however, that if it fails, the blame is all on you. Accept all responsibility, Mr. Kline.

Friendship is Deep is proof that a band is only as good as its leader. Despite the impressive resumes on Kline’s roster, the majority of his record fails to remain interesting past its first listen. Even the best musicians cannot save mediocre songs. Much of Friendship is Deep is trapped somewhere between a saunter and a sprint. Never quite driving and never sweeping, “I Will Light You on Fire” kicks off the record in aforementioned form. The polyphonic vocal melodies season the song, but not enough to make it stick. “Nothing’s All Right” follows suit with equally mundane lyrics: “The word hit my street / I found out, I found out / Meant nothing to me / But look out, yeah look out.”

“Don’t Ever Do That Again” finds Kline redeeming himself with a straightforward rock and roll riff that channels the work of Cake. It’s not surprising considering that drummer Todd Roper is a former member of Cake, making it familiar territory but still a welcome addition. “The Committee” pushes the tempo with big drums and even bigger guitars. Kline's sing/speak vocals once again channel the work of Cake’s John McCrea.

What I really want from this record is more energy, more passion, and more drama - anything for me to grab hold of and keep after the record has concluded. Kline has the talent and certainly has the company to make a great record. Unfortunately, together they don’t have what it takes to rescue these songs from their lackluster depths. Or, perhaps I’m being too critical. I certainly don’t hate Friendship is Deep. There are no moments when I listen that I want to hurl this disc across my room, and maybe that’s enough. But, conversely, there are no moments that cause me to leap from my chair, e-mailing and calling everyone I know to tell them I have found the last record they will ever want to hear. I just see potential in these songs - potential that for the moment has not been fully realized.

Recommended if You LikeCake (but not the kind you eat), being in college, slammin' beers

myspace.com/gs

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
08:08 AM on 05/14/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Throughout reading the review, I couldn't help thinking about how strangely close this band's name is to Golden Showers.
08:47 AM on 05/14/08
patpratt
test
User Info.
you're a great writer my man.
09:08 AM on 05/14/08
fearthetaint
User Info.
Throughout reading the review, I couldn't help thinking about how strangely close this band's name is to Golden Showers.

haha, i think i even accidentally wrote that when I wrote up the first draft.
09:21 AM on 05/14/08
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
haha, i think i even accidentally wrote that when I wrote up the first draft.

I don't blame you one bit.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests