Password

Album Review

The My Brother Vulture - Now's Your Chance Album Cover

The My Brother Vulture - Now's Your Chance

Reviewed by
My Brother, The Vulture Now’s Your Chance
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: February 20, 2011
My Brother, The Vulture is a Lawrence, Kansas-based quintet that plays an eclectic mix of progressive and southern rock that breaks down doors just as easily as it moves hearts. Only active since September 2010, My Brother, The Vulture is already making waves across the Midwest with their spirited live performance and distinctive sound. Now’s Your Chance, a five-song EP released in February of this year, confidently fuses screaming, spoken-word, crunchy guitars, and heartfelt melodies in a uniquely ambitious debut that portends a band with an abundance of creativity and potential.

“Your Dad Can Beat Up My Dad” launches like a bat out of hell with a Maylene-style riff and vocalist Alec Hernandez’s grating bark. As guitarists Jon Marzette and Cameron Birdsall experiment with chunky riffs and groovy leads, Hernandez recalls Jordan Dreyer of La Dispute by seamlessly transitioning from a debilitating scream to spoken-word and back again. Hernandez’s impressive vocal range quickly asserts itself as one of the stronger points on Now’s Your Chance, creating a spontaneous environment that keeps the songs fresh and the listener guessing. “I Am The Snake” showcases Hernandez’s more dulcet croon before breaking into a period of raucous dissonance and finally settling on an epic climax of strained vocals and melodious guitar noodling.

“Animo” opens with an arrangement of hazy guitars, restrained drumming, and longing lyrics redolent of As Cities Burn’s Come Now Sleep. Hernandez employs a variety of vocal deliveries and examines feelings of disillusionment and futility as he aches “We knew this day would come/When our dreams would cease to be/And our fears could have their fun” and “But in this place I am a ghost/I am empty, I am starved.” The uninhibited experimentation retreats on “The Understudy,” a fairly vanilla effort compared to the rest of the EP, but restores itself with “Wait, Like The Dinosaur?,” a track that combines southern hardcore elements with an emo twang before closing with a spastic outburst that rattles the walls.

My Brother, The Vulture, despite their relative infancy, have already earned a reputation for their original and highly energetic approach to music. Now’s Your Chance is a grandiose debut that delivers a unique brand of southern and progressive rock that should appeal to fans of La Dispute, Everytime I Die, and As Cities Burn. Hopefully My Brother, The Vulture can build upon the quality of Now’s Your Chance and continue to push the boundaries of their already original and inventive style in further releases.

www.myspace.com/mybrotherthevulture

Recommended If You LikeAs Cities Burn; La Dispute; Everytime I Die
This review is a user submitted review from Nick Gerli. You can see all of Nick Gerli's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:56 PM on 09/05/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Legit.
09:07 PM on 09/06/11
TheRxBandit
nope.avi
User Info.
WE LOVE SAVE PARKER.
05:59 AM on 09/07/11