Password

Album Review

No Motiv - Winterlong Album Cover

No Motiv - Winterlong

Reviewed by
No Motiv - Winterlong
Release Date: August 30th, 2011
Record Label: Siren Records
After a long seven year hiatus, one of the oft forgotten and underrated bands, No Motiv, rejoin the ranks with a short six track album: Winterlong. After three albums that displayed their penchant for solid hooks, driving guitar work and slower, emo like melodic moments they rise back to the challenge in hope to reconnect with a new generation of ears. And The Sadness Prevails (1999) is a classic pop punk record dripping with emo sensibilities and Diagram For Healing (2001) saw them take a more light hearted, rock orientated approach which sought command in a sea of like minded bands. Their last full length Daylight Breaking (2004) was a well produced and big sounding rock album in which several songs are still very much in the memories of their fan base (Into The Darkness, Independance Day, Audition etc).

So how does No Motiv fair on Winterlong? On the whole...quite well indeed. What better way to re-introduce yourselves then to continue from where you left off? You are immediately immersed into their brand of well produced rock. The opening track, Beginning From The End, the riffs are tight, the drums punch through and the production slick - immediately reminiscent of the Daylight Breaking era. The vocals are also strong (on the whole album), Jeremy Palaszewskis' smooth crooning voice guide swoop and soar with ease over the crunchy rock tunes. Bled continues on the same path but adds a softer tone midway through the song where Jeremy falsettos his way through light guitar strumming before bursting into the full weight of the chorus. Once Again Sundays is the strongest track on the album. The riffs are intricate and twist into each other with ease, the verses then tone it down into a medium paced number slowly building towards a catchy chorus. This is No Motiv at its best, the song has more variation to it, bringing their softer side to the forefront - constantly building up to the loud choruses and then deconstructing back into a beautiful swirl of melodies that bring back memories of their more punk/emo roots, in balanced opposition to their perhaps more radio friendly brand of rock. If No Motiv wish to galvanize their return, songs like this will truly propel them forward. Dead As The Day and In You are mid paced rock songs that have you simply sitting back and enjoying the vocal melodies and rock sensibilities. Deathwish, the final track, is slightly more aggressive and straight the point. Closing the album in a very Queens Of The Stone Age fashion. Solid songs indeed but it does seem to end a little abruptly.

Winterlong is short but after a seven year hiatus, this is a band that is trying to recapture their form and get their sea legs beneath them again. Its a solid collection of rock songs without fillers but really only has one exceptional track (Once Again Sundays); one can sense that this is just a warm up, a small teaser for the fans to get them interested again before (hopefully) throwing out a proper full length that will build upon the stronger elements of Winterlong. Even though I did allude to the fact that there was not single bad song on the record; come the end of the six tracks and turn to another record you will be hard pressed to remember the bulk of Winterlong. Overall, glimpses of their true form scattered across the six tracks hold big promise for No Motiv and they are a most welcome returnee.

7/10
This review is a user submitted review from PeeDster. You can see all of PeeDster's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
06:59 AM on 09/06/11
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
"they are most welcome returnee." I think there might be a word missing there?

I've never heard of these, but your nice review has encouraged me to check them out.
07:04 AM on 09/06/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
"they are most welcome returnee." I think there might be a word missing there?

I've never heard of these, but your nice review has encouraged me to check them out.
Is there? Not sure...perhaps...this is when I can blame English being my 4th language

Yeah dude, they are great band. Check out their first two albums for sure, they are truly solid. Daylight Breaking is good too but I felt like they lost a tiny bit of soul on it (even though most seemed to like it most?)

And cheers for reading man. Always a quick reply expected from you!!!
07:25 AM on 09/06/11
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Is there? Not sure...perhaps...this is when I can blame English being my 4th language

Yeah dude, they are great band. Check out their first two albums for sure, they are truly solid. Daylight Breaking is good too but I felt like they lost a tiny bit of soul on it (even though most seemed to like it most?)

I think it should be "they are the most welcome returnee", or "they are most welcome returners". But I'm not sure haha :)
07:31 AM on 09/06/11
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
Will check this album out, it's been a while since I've listened to these guys.
07:34 AM on 09/06/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
I think it should be "they are the most welcome returnee", or "they are most welcome returners". But I'm not sure haha :)

put an "a" in, hopefully it makes more sense, cheers, lol.

Will check this album out, it's been a while since I've listened to these guys.

Sweet, do it.
08:36 AM on 09/06/11
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.
definitely check them out. Check out the song Empty. I think that really sums them up well and sits in their mid range. They go a bit softer or bit harder from there. If you enjoy that listen to it all.
Looking forward to this EP. Thanks for the review
09:13 AM on 09/06/11
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.

Which two albums are you calling their first?
09:56 AM on 09/06/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Which two albums are you calling their first?
and the sadness prevails + diagram for healing
10:41 AM on 09/06/11
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
and the sadness prevails + diagram for healing
Ah. I believe they released an album in their early days before those two.

I've been getting into No Motiv a lot more recently, listened to Diagram for Healing a few times.
06:57 PM on 09/06/11
heartsdivided
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
  • 1996: Cynical (Edge Records)
  • 1998: Scarred (Edge Records)
I used to have these two. More of a hardcore sound.
10:27 PM on 09/06/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
  • 1996: Cynical (Edge Records)
  • 1998: Scarred (Edge Records)
I used to have these two. More of a hardcore sound.
wow, i honestly had never heard those.
11:35 PM on 09/06/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Ah. I believe they released an album in their early days before those two.

I've been getting into No Motiv a lot more recently, listened to Diagram for Healing a few times.
Diagram For Healing is my favourite of theirs. Simply love it.
12:27 PM on 09/07/11
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
wow, i honestly had never heard those.
I haven't heard Cynical but I've heard Scarred. It's a b-sides/demo album I believe.
10:57 PM on 09/07/11
RazorCrusade
User Info.
Also worth noting that these songs have been written for about five years, and recorded for over two. Just took them awhile to find a label and decide on the future of the band. Great EP overall and I hope if they decide to write some *real* new music, it continues in this direction.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos