AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
So Many Ways - Self-Titled EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

So Many Ways - Self-Titled EP

Reviewed by: Christian Wagner (09/14/11)
So Many WaysSelf-Titled EP
Record Label: Mightier Than Sword Records
Release Date: September 13, 2011

Here’s a hell of a curveball for the pop-punk/hardcore scene. Take the heaviness and chaos of Comeback Kid, the melodies and lead riffs from Four Year Strong, and then throw in a dash of metal a la Dragonforce and you have So Many Ways. Weird, right? When a friend of mine showed me the band, I didn’t think that music like this could exist in harmony, but lo and behold, it does so and might I say it’s executed with precision and grace that is beyond my comprehension.

The intro track is a face-melting 38 second exposition that showcases the talent of guitarists Jason Milbank and Murphy Welch and their vast influences in the metal and hardcore scene. It segues right into the next song on the EP, “I’ve Made A Huge Mistake,” where the band takes on its best view of the modern hardcore scene, channeling contemporaries like Such Gold. It sets up right into a breakdown and 2 step jam, and then it hits you, the shredding solo. It is completely unexpected and throws a wrench in the formula of what one would expect from a genre like this.

The track “37 Chambers,” which sounds like it could have been a B-side on Four Year Strong’s Rise Or Die Trying, has a definable guitar riff and it showcases the band’s ability to transition between its gruff and clean vocalists. The chorus melody is so catchy, as the guitars and vocals play off of each other that would usually only be found in seasoned bands that could concoct such music. It features the now commonplace guitar chugs which incites the bros to bust out their moshing shoes but still retains its poppiness in the chorus. Once again, the metal influence comes out in the bridge as a technical metal solo invades the song.

It goes right into “Oak Island,” which includes a guitar solo that would make Steve Vai jealous. Once again, the ability to throw the extremely difficult guitar solos is such a presence on the EP and really distinguishes the band from its peers. It must be such a treat to see live.

One of the production aspects I love is the sound of the actual recordings. It's the perfect mixture of being clean and well-done but still maintaining a raw edge about it that provides a certain depth that reminds me of Lifetime's Jersey's Best Dancers. It is just so authentic and so real which makes it easier to listen to than a compressed track from a band that sounds like a bunch of robots playing together.

The thing that is extremely impressive about So Many Ways is that they do everything with such a sense of balance, where nothing ever seems stale. That is a tough feat in this oversaturated music scene, but when listening to the EP, it never feels like the band got lazy and just settled on something conventional. They continue to push the boundaries in every song and it comes of perfectly in the EP.

So Many Ways is going to be one of those bands that I will love to see progress from years to come. Their musicianship will only improve and it could lead to a crossover this scene has never seen before.

RIYLSuch Gold, Four Year Strong, Comeback Kid, pop-punk, METAL

Track Listing1. Take It To The Limit
2. I’ve Made A Huge Mistake
3. Sleep Mask
4. Murf’s Life Hints
5. 37 Chambers
6. Oak Island
7. Dirtfoot

Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
07:38 PM on 09/14/11
Cøltøn
User Info.
Are these songs re-recorded or any different from the original release (back when it was self-released, I believe)?

Edit: But yeah, I like what I've heard of these guys. Need to listen to them some more.
10:47 PM on 09/14/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Whoa, I got thrown off when I saw a Christian Wagner review haha. I've been switching between Blink, Man Overboard and this EP all day....it's SO good.
07:36 AM on 09/15/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Whoa, I got thrown off when I saw a Christian Wagner review haha. I've been switching between Blink, Man Overboard and this EP all day....it's SO good.
I know! I'm just doing it every once in awhile to switch things up.

You have the Man O record?
09:34 AM on 09/15/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hope they incorporate more guitar wanking in the future, I want to hear more of that shit.

This reminds me a bit of a band called Littlefoot, they were a pop-punk band with a nonstop onslaught of chug breakdowns and blastbeats but they never bothered with"brootal" diminished 5ths or growls/screams or anything.
10:09 AM on 09/15/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hope they incorporate more guitar wanking in the future, I want to hear more of that shit.

This reminds me a bit of a band called Littlefoot, they were a pop-punk band with a nonstop onslaught of chug breakdowns and blastbeats but they never bothered with"brootal" diminished 5ths or growls/screams or anything.
Yea, they'll be doing more guitar shredding on the next record.
10:53 AM on 09/15/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I apparently need to check this out?! Sounds fucking aweosme
11:49 AM on 09/15/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I got sent this on it's release day. After reading this review, it's the next thing I will be listening to.
11:52 AM on 09/15/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
holy shit, sounds cool.
02:23 PM on 09/15/11
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
So it is re-recorded?
03:37 PM on 09/15/11
kidinthebushes
User Info.
Buddy from Senses Fail has been telling people to check these guys out.

I'm glad to see a band from Chicago getting hyped.
05:21 PM on 09/15/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Buddy from Senses Fail has been telling people to check these guys out.

I'm glad to see a band from Chicago getting hyped.
Because he signed them to his label.
09:54 AM on 09/16/11
maxswellrevenge
Registered Member
User Info.
local homies! <3
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates