Password

Album Review
The Limousines - Get Sharp Album Cover

The Limousines - Get Sharp

Reviewed by
The LimousinesGet Sharp
Record Label: Dangerbird Records
Release Date: April 19, 2011
A quick glance at the cover art of Get Sharp reveals that The Limousines, the brainchild of former Strata vocalist Eric Victorino and DJ Giovanni Giusti, have little regard for conformity. The explicitly defined spit bubble, adorned by a pair of luscious pink lips, is the type of sordid image that is more likely to turn stomachs than entice a would-be listener. This eccentricity infiltrates The Limousines’ brand of quirky yet clever electropop and helps to distinguish Get Sharp from the myriad releases aspiring to mimic the success of indie behemoths like MGMT and Passion Pit. Victorino’s tongue in cheek lyrics complement Giusti’s infectious beats to craft a sound that is catchy and clever, suitable for airtime on Top 40 stations as well as the iPod’s of introspective hipsters.

Following a spacious minute-long opener entitled “Square Circle Triangle”, Get Sharp wastes no time in distilling its rare brand of contagious pop music. “Internet Killed the Video Star” is a foot-stomping anthem that sarcastically bemoans the rise of electronic dance music, with Victorino quipping “The kids are disco dancing/They’re tired of rock n’ roll/Don’t bother telling them that drum machine ain’t got no soul” in an exceedingly catchy chorus. The lighthearted hijinks continues in “Very Busy People,” a whimsical critique of the Generation-Y lifestyle that is as musically virulent as its predecessor. Victorino’s lyrics are especially clever, particularly towards the conclusion of the song when he mocks the inanity of a hipster-dominated society with “That Donnie Darko DVD has been repeating for a week and we know every single word/I’ve got an iPod like a pirate ship and I’ll sail the seas with 50,000 songs I’ve never heard/We are very busy people.”

The awkwardly titled and happy go lucky “Flaskaboozendancingshoes” amusingly recounts a one-night stand and the ruinous prospect of the participants establishing a long-term relationship wrought with divorce, restraining orders, and general banality. Throughout Get Sharp Victorino confers the value of enjoying life and being young, especially on the blisteringly uplifting “The Future” where he heartily exclaims, “I want to laugh as many times as I can before I die/I want to love/I want to smile/I just want to fuck every once in a while.” The veritable torrent of carefree exuberance that inundates the first half of Get Sharp is punctuated by “Triangle Circle Square,” a two and a half-minute ode to the 80s that features lush electronics and recalls The Shirelles and Van Morrison with Victorino repeating “Momma said there’d be days like this/There’d be days like this my momma said.”

Despite the breeziness that saturates much of the album, Get Sharp does delve into more serious tones. “Dancing At Her Funeral” lays down a heavy bass beat under a smattering of playful synths as Victorino, in one of the more sobering moments on the record, laments the consequences of a bad car accident. “Swrdswllngwhr (Wishing Well)” opens with a foreboding atmosphere and distressed vocal delivery before culminating in an electronic glitchiness that imparts a stressful tenor to the song. Get Sharp progressively weakens as it moves along, as tracks such as “Wildfires” and “Get Sharp” struggle to stand out, but that is primarily indicative of the quality of the rest of the album.

Eric Victorino and Giovanni Giusti have fashioned a winning formula with The Limousines’ full-length debut Get Sharp. Victorino’s ingenious lyrics and enthusiastic delivery, combined with Giusti’s memorable beats, formulate a blend of an intelligent electropop that has definite staying power. Get Sharp is extremely likable and will attract a wide swath of listeners, however any hesitant parties should, at the very least, download “Internet Killed the Video Star” and “Very Busy People,” tracks that stand side by side with MGMT’s “Electric Feel” and Passion Pit’s “Sleepyhead” as opuses of the electropop genre.

Recommended If You LikePassion Pit; MGMT; Empire of the Sun; The Postal Service

www.myspace.com/thelimousines
This review is a user submitted review from Nick Gerli. You can see all of Nick Gerli's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:38 AM on 08/31/11
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
One of my favorites of 2010. So solid.
07:45 AM on 09/19/11
JoshSalas
User Info.
I'm intrigued.. will download.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News