AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: We Are All Savages - 10.03.11

We Are All Savages - 10.03.11

Interviewed by
We Are All Savages - 10.03.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

We Are All Savages

weareallsavages.com
weareallsavages.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Junior, the guitarist/singer, lived in a house full of crazy and awesome punk/activist folks in Bloomington, Indiana a while back. "We Are All Savages" was sort of a house motto taken from a historical account of a French colony circa late 17th Century around what's now Peoria, Illinois. Basically, it was going to be one of the first European settlements built in that part of the country and instead "It was mysteriously abandoned after four months and these words were found burned into the side of an unfinished boat found on the site: 'Nous sommes tous sauvages' (We are all savages)."

2. How did this band get started?
The original bass player, Adam, and Junior knew each other from the Bloomington days and Adam and I (Brendan) grew up in the same neighborhood and have known each other since we were 3. Junior moved out to NYC sometime around 2005 and Adam and I had moved out a couple months apart to NYC in 2006. We hung out, listened to records, and decided we wanted to start playing. We met Riff, the drummer, through mutual friends. Frank is the current bass player who was a friend of a friend and a kindred spirit.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We listen to a wide range of music and sub-sub genres like most people, but the ones that stand out the most are bands like His Hero is Gone, Neurosis, Union of Uranus, and the Melvins. Bands that we've listened to and seen like Akimbo, Baroness, Kylesa, Unsane and others have seeped into our band's collective subconscious, so I'm sure that influenced how we approach our music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Since I'm the one doing the interview, I'd have to say a bill with His Hero is Gone and Union of Uranus.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Vegetarian burritos, wherever they can be found. Although you all pay for it later on.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
It's heavy, dark, and angry. If you would use two out of the three to describe your musical tastes, then WAAS is for you.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Most of the dudes in WAAS aren't really "sports people." Junior says one of the competitive hot dog eater people.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We would consecrate this award to Odin. And thanks to whoever is asleep at the wheel of the awards' committee.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The music industry by and large seems geared primarily towards putting out music and promoting artists that I could care less about. Many amazing bands I've seen have wallowed in obscurity. That fact can make for some amazing, powerful smaller scenes and DIY ethos which I wouldn't necessarily change. It's the nature of the beast that generic, popular music is rewarded but it's unfortunate that there's an industry dedicated to that.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We haven't been able to tour much. At one point, Bjork showed up at one of our shows because her son's band was playing. She promptly left when we started.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net seems like a way for some bands to get exposure that they never would have gotten otherwise. Was there ever a store connected to AP.net? If so I think I got an awesome Severed Head of State backpatch from it then.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
We've been playing some of the same songs for the last 3-4 years. We recently had a lineup change and so we started writing anew after that. Most of the new stuff is what gets us excited to play.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Places away from major cities, preferably where it's sunny and there are beaches and no humidity.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
My parents were pretty into the Beatles, so I heard that a lot growing up. I don't think you could escape Ace of Base's "I Saw the Sign" or whatever it's titled when I listened to the radio as a youth.

15. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Why?
Whatever power gives it's user the ability to manipulate time. We could use some more hours in the day.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Usually, we sacrifice a goat to Crom...nah, really the usual amount of light-to-heavy drinking.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I don't think people know much of anything about us. We are pretty terrible at self promotion.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I don't really listen to the radio much at all these days. Don't spend much time in cars these days so I'm not even sure what the state of the radio is these days. I have been told by folks that we are a "better live band" so I think seeing us in person is where we flourish rather than radio play.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Read, because we are nerds in addition to savages.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Some of the driest sarcasm we can muster. It's so dry it's nearly indistinguishable from regular conversation, therefore hidden.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests