AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: My Glorious - 10.04.11

My Glorious - 10.04.11

Interviewed by
My Glorious - 10.04.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

My Glorious (Questions answered by Sami Goodenough)

http://www.myglorious.com/

1. How did you get your band name?
This band was born out of the remains of a previous rock outfit we’d been in, so when we started up we already had shows booked that we should have played with the former band. We decided to let the new band handle the shows and an upcoming tour, but we hadn’t even written a single song...we didn’t even have a name. So we had to be quick. We took a couple of days and came up with hundreds of names. Things like Flameboy, The Difficult Kind and other fun stuff. So we wrote emails back and forth and finally agreed on a name. So the next day I’m sitting at work, listening to a band called Delirious. A song came up, one that I don’t even really like that much, called "My Glorious." It just struck me that this should be our bandname. So I called the guys and told them that the name we had painfully chosen in long discussions and arguments was being changed. Strangely enough they liked it.

2. How did this band get started?
We were in this rock band Fresh with two other guys. We were doing danceable Rock/Pop stuff. The singer and the keyboard player weren’t able to invest themselves in the band the way the three of us wanted to. So, after 7 years of playing together, we decided to split and start a more serious project. That was My Glorious. So from the beginning we started to run the band as a business. It took lots more time and energy to do it that way, but it’s just the better way.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I’m not sure that the bands we’re influenced by are the ones people would say we sound like. But we’re into stuff like Queen, Beatles, Elton John, The Swell Season, P.O.D, U2, Sheryl Crowe and more recently Manchester Orchestra, Biffy Clyro, and Papertongues.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
It would be Muse. They’d support us.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I’d be a fluffy pig. I like pigs.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well because they like it. We’re not trying to talk anyone into listening to our stuff. It’s out there for people to enjoy and relate to.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
It would probably be “Minefield” and it would be a fairly hard one to nail. Especially the drums.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My bandmates.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
That’s a very good question, because that is what we’re doing at the moment. We founded a Closed Corporation as a band and we sell shares. We’ve created a totally new way of dealing with the industry. We only buy services, we don’t depend on the industry financially. We fund ourselves by selling stock and we also manage ourselves. That way we don’t give someone else the control over us. We do what we think is right and what we feel represents us as a band well. It’s definitely the harder way, but I think it’s more rewarding in the end.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Many. Like that time we played at a festival and one guy thought he should pull down his pants and start peeing onto the stage from the audience. He had some serious pressure on his wee…it came right up to the monitors. There are loads of stories, but what happens on the road, normally is forgotten on the road too.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Well seeing as we live in Vienna,Austria at the moment, we don’t really know lots about AP.net. But it seems like it’s the place to be on the net.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
We like playing all our songs really. But when new stuff comes along, it’s always fresh and exciting to play that. So again, “Minefield” is a fun one at the moment.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Nashville.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Queen and The Beatles. I used to play along on guitar to the radio and my Queen cd’s. When I came across a chord I didn’t know yet, I’d get on the tram and ride it to our local music store, about 30 minutes away from where I lived. I’d go in, wait till no one was looking and took a peek into the sheetmusic of that particular song. I didn’t know much about chords, but I figured if I knew the name of the chord I could figure it out at home on the piano. So “Hammer to Fall” was a memorable one. The D/A was something I hadn’t played yet and I couldn’t figure it out, so I found the chord name in the sheet music, went back home and tried to figure it out. I really earned that chord.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Invisibility. I think that would be funny. I’m a nosy person. The guys would surely love the jumping/flying one. They love everything to do with heights and jumping.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
In a sense I felt that right from the beginning. Because we are doing what we love, we are making it work, even if the industry doesn’t stick all the money in the world up our butt.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I get this question in so many interviews, I won’t have anymore secrets left soon.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Sleeping.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Don’t really have any spare time. I love working.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
If I knew that they wouldn’t really be hidden, right? But I can cook quite well.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests