AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Make Do And Mend - Part and Parcel EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.88
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7.63
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 79%
Inside AP.net

Make Do And Mend - Part and Parcel EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (12/06/11)
Make Do And MendPart and Parcel EP
Record Label: Paper + Plastick Records
Release Date: November 22, 2011

As if The Wave needed to provide any further proof of their takeover of the hardcore scene throughout 2011, Make Do And Mend have completed the puzzle with their new acoustic EP Part and Parcel. Being the antithesis of the rigid End Measured Mile, this EP shines light on the other side of the heavy band – now allowing focus to be on James Carroll’s vocal range and prowess.

First and foremost, fans will notice the departure from the normal Make Do And Mend sound with the acoustic versions of familiar songs – gone is the gravel-laden near-scream vocal delivery; welcomed is the country-tinged style. The result of this change really carries these songs to a different level, evident due to the range of Carroll on the opening “Unknowingly Strong.” “Ghostal” demonstrates the country-tinged roots that have replaced the normal hardcore mien throughout the EP, with Southern guitar plucks carrying the track.

The most vulnerable moment on Part and Parcel comes within Make Do And Mend’s cover of their friends in Touche Amore’s “Home Away From Here.” Being one of the most cathartic tracks – and records for that matter – of the year, this song was an interesting choice for this project; however, the acoustic rendition of it will be incredibly pleasing for fans, as Carroll’s Southern drawl adds a different layer of intricate emotion to the song – noted especially within the last minute. The untitled new song fits alongside the other five tracks delightfully, following “Home Away From Here” in fitting fashion due to the incredibly candid lyrics. The song clearly hints that Make Do And Mend will continue to the follow The Wave on their upcoming record, embedding agonizing honesty into the record.

Allowing the other side of Make Do And Mend to be heard, Part and Parcel truly allows the talent of the guys to prevail and be heard, as the beauty is within the versatility here. Carroll clearly has an interesting and effective vocal range, leaving fans very anxious for whatever direction Make Do plan to go with their upcoming full length next year. Until then, this EP and End Measured Mile will still gladly tide fans over.

7.5/10

Recommended If You LikeEnd Measured Mile; acoustics; The Wave; country-tinged vocals

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Unknowingly Strong (Acoustic)
2. Ghostal (Acoustic)
3. Home Away From Here (Acoustic Cover)
4. Transparent Seas (Acoustic)
5. Coats (Acoustic)
6. Untitled (Acoustic)

Make Do And Mend are:
James Carroll – Vocals, Guitar
Mike O'Toole – Guitar
Mike Poulin – Bass
Matt Carroll – Drums

Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
09:36 PM on 12/06/11
HometownHero
User Info.
Read "The Wave" and stopped there. Sorry man.
10:00 PM on 12/06/11
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
whole EP rules, but Transparent Seas sounds so good acoustic, probably my favorite. Good review.
10:11 PM on 12/06/11
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
When did we start referring to them as a hardcore band?
10:28 PM on 12/06/11
hiya
User Info.
If you take away the first paragraph, it's a decent review. I've never heard MDAM called a hardcore band before and you refer to "The Wave" way too much.

Anyway EP is great, really like how the songs sound acoustic.
11:56 PM on 12/06/11
CPF--FBR
@ConnorMEB | Mind Equals Blown
User Info.
If you take away the first paragraph, it's a decent review. I've never heard MDAM called a hardcore band before and you refer to "The Wave" way too much.

Anyway EP is great, really like how the songs sound acoustic.
How is twice "way too much"?
12:09 AM on 12/07/11
HometownHero
User Info.
How is twice "way too much"?
Once is too much.
12:14 AM on 12/07/11
CPF--FBR
@ConnorMEB | Mind Equals Blown
User Info.
Ouch.
03:36 AM on 12/07/11
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Read "The Wave" and stopped there. Sorry man.
*HARDCORE FAN IN ELITISM SHOCKER*

x
03:45 AM on 12/07/11
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really, really overrated band.
03:50 AM on 12/07/11
_veges_
User Info.
Why all the hate on the wave all of the sudden? I get that they're not a hardcore band, but what's wrong with the wave?
04:05 AM on 12/07/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Great EP. I was a little disappointed with the cover of Coats at first, but now I just love the whole thing. People need to get over it being called The Wave.
04:26 AM on 12/07/11
Christian Otte
Get money fuck bitches smoke trees
User Info.
While I love Make Do and Mend and a lot of their peers, this whole thing about THE WAVE is so fuckin' lame.
04:51 AM on 12/07/11
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Why all the hate on the wave all of the sudden? I get that they're not a hardcore band, but what's wrong with the wave?
I think it's more a distaste for the term 'The Wave', which only started out as a tongue-in-cheek thing anyway, and has now become this thing.
04:51 AM on 12/07/11
Xx sorrow xX
poof
User Info.
Good review, This one isn't that great but i still like it
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives