Username
Password

06:33 AM on 07/25/14 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I don't see how this is so hard for you to understand. Spider-Man is by far the most popular Marvel hero. Who cares about his relation to the Avengers movies and such? Disney and Marvel are not fan boys with these kind of worries. If they have to sacrifice 8-10% of the box office take for a given amount of time or $3-4 billion in a one-time payout, it's just a drop in the bucket of the billions Disney/Marvel will make with the eternal rights to a character.

The realistic fact is that Ant-Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange or even Cap and Thor have not proven or are simply likely never to be BILLION dollar franchises. Even for the Avengers, who is going to draw more to the box office: Hawkeye or Spider-Man? I'm not saying it would've added hundreds of millions, but it's reasonable to think the hype would've been even bigger and the movie could have done even better.

All of this aside: OF COURSE MARVEL WOULD WANT THE RIGHTS TO SPIDER-MAN AT ANY COST.

Right on, I mean I don't necessarily disagree with your points.

But it's worth noting that the newest Cap movie had a bigger opening weekend, and a bigger WW total than the newest Spider-man on a budget that was $80 million less than the newest Spider-Man.
07:02 AM on 07/25/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
Right on, I mean I don't necessarily disagree with your points.

But it's worth noting that the newest Cap movie had a bigger opening weekend, and a bigger WW total than the newest Spider-man on a budget that was $80 million less than the newest Spider-Man.
Yeah, but you're talking about a difference of $4 million on the opening weekend and $6 million on the worldwide total, so not exactly a great argument. Plus, while Cap 2 had virtually no competition for the month of April, TASM2 faced a heavily crowded May of Godzilla, X-Men, and Maleficent this year. Even so, this number is seen as a relative failure for a Spider-Man movie, while that far exceeded expectations for Cap 2.

Each of the original trilogy's films are in the top 50 highest grossing films all-time and, adjusted for inflation, would be close to or over $1 billion in worldwide grosses. Spider-Man is simply the most popular hero for Marvel. Sony just operates way too recklessly. Marvel could probably make a higher quality movie for a total budget $100-150 million less than what Sony has pulled. Even if Marvel/Disney has to shell out money to Sony, with merchandising, home video, and the movie itself, they're probably posting at least $750 million profit on any given Spider-Man movie.
07:22 AM on 07/25/14 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Yeah, but you're talking about a difference of $4 million on the opening weekend and $6 million on the worldwide total, so not exactly a great argument. Plus, while Cap 2 had virtually no competition for the month of April, TASM2 faced a heavily crowded May of Godzilla, X-Men, and Maleficent this year. Even so, this number is seen as a relative failure for a Spider-Man movie, while that far exceeded expectations for Cap 2.

Each of the original trilogy's films are in the top 50 highest grossing films all-time and, adjusted for inflation, would be close to or over $1 billion in worldwide grosses. Spider-Man is simply the most popular hero for Marvel. Sony just operates way too recklessly. Marvel could probably make a higher quality movie for a total budget $100-150 million less than what Sony has pulled. Even if Marvel/Disney has to shell out money to Sony, with merchandising, home video, and the movie itself, they're probably posting at least $750 million profit on any given Spider-Man movie.

Fair enough. You're right. On a personal note, I have no interest in Spider-Man anymore. As bad as ASM 2 was, I don't think Sony is at a point where they are prepared to get rid of the rights.

How often do they have to make a film in order to keep the rights? Every 5 years? Does the Sinister Six movie count?
10:59 AM on 07/25/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
Fair enough. You're right. On a personal note, I have no interest in Spider-Man anymore. As bad as ASM 2 was, I don't think Sony is at a point where they are prepared to get rid of the rights.

How often do they have to make a film in order to keep the rights? Every 5 years? Does the Sinister Six movie count?
It's not really clear, but their other character contracts would suggest it's by time. Sony has kind of put themselves in this position though. They gave back the television rights to Spidey in 2009 and the merchandising rights in 2011, so they literally have no support system beyond home video releases to cushion the movie profits in this system.

Realistically, you'd expect a Spider-Man movie to cost around $250-300 million in production and marketing, so Sony needs these films to make about $600 million just to break even. Even if the film pulls in $1 billion, that ~$400 million profit (assuming 3 years per release) is essentially saying you'll have $130 million per year from the character. Even that is kind of a lofty expectation at the highest of the franchise's potential. Disney/Marvel cutting them a multi-billion dollar check would certainly get their attention.
01:11 PM on 07/26/14 
User Info.
Eich696
Amaro Jr.
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
It's not really clear, but their other character contracts would suggest it's by time. Sony has kind of put themselves in this position though. They gave back the television rights to Spidey in 2009 and the merchandising rights in 2011, so they literally have no support system beyond home video releases to cushion the movie profits in this system.

Realistically, you'd expect a Spider-Man movie to cost around $250-300 million in production and marketing, so Sony needs these films to make about $600 million just to break even. Even if the film pulls in $1 billion, that ~$400 million profit (assuming 3 years per release) is essentially saying you'll have $130 million per year from the character. Even that is kind of a lofty expectation at the highest of the franchise's potential. Disney/Marvel cutting them a multi-billion dollar check would certainly get their attention.

Since you know everything (seriously), are there plans to phase out Hemsworth, Evans, and RDJ?
01:45 PM on 07/26/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
Since you know everything (seriously), are there plans to phase out Hemsworth, Evans, and RDJ?
I'm sure they know they'll have to somewhere down the line, but I think the ultimate plan is to try to develop these new heroes to supplement them first. Though, Feige has always said that he viewed Tony Stark as a character who, like James Bond, could continue on with various sequels through recasting, so I'd assume he shares that ideology with other heroes.

Who knows though? Theoretically, they could give RDJ a nice piece of the pie to continue on in a role similar to SLJ's Fury, where he could be present in a limited capacity and suit up for The Avengers films. (Not like it's too stunt-intensive since Iron Man is largely CGI'd.) Hemsworth and Ruffalo have shown a willingness to keep on with their characters for the foreseeable future. Evans is tough to say because, should they choose to, the comics storylines somewhat set them up to replace Cap with Bucky or Falcon. It's not like they couldn't recast Evans though. He's been a solid Steve Rogers, but he's probably the most "recastable" of the three. Seriously. Throw Armie Hammer in there. No one's going to complain.

Still, eventually, you're going to run out of villains/storylines to adapt. It feels like there's some finality in sight to Iron Man and Thor's individual stories. They've said they have movies planned out until 2028. That could take them through an Avengers 5 or 6. At that point, you're 20 years out from Iron Man first hitting the screens, so maybe it's an opportune moment to pull a hard reset on the the whole MCU. I'm sure they wouldn't mind starting over with the confidence that they know they have some long-time security, where Phase 1 was largely on the fly and not really tied to any long-term goal beyond getting The Avengers together.
02:32 PM on 07/26/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
Speaking of those release date concerns: Legendary just announced Skull Island, a King Kong movie for that 11/4/2016 date... I have no faith in Sinister Six if it's budgeted at $150 million or over.
03:26 PM on 07/26/14 
User Info.
airik625
-
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 25 Years Old
After going back and watching this again, I think I enjoyed it a good bit more than the first time I saw it.

Really makes me question why they decided to go a different direction from Webb. I would think they would want as much consistency as possible - especially given how well the first two have done at the box office and home theater. Even though consistency is probably what doomed Spider-Man 3, I think it's pretty obvious this series is in much better shape than Raimi's.
03:28 PM on 07/26/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
After going back and watching this again, I think I enjoyed it a good bit more than the first time I saw it.

Really makes me question why they decided to go a different direction from Webb. I would think they would want as much consistency as possible - especially given how well the first two have done at the box office and home theater. Even though consistency is probably what doomed Spider-Man 3, I think it's pretty obvious this series is in much better shape than Raimi's.
Despite those initial reports, the most recent reports said Webb will return for TASM3.
07:39 AM on 07/27/14 
User Info.
Eich696
Amaro Jr.
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Webb needs to come back even tho I enjoyed this
10:30 AM on 07/27/14 
User Info.
airik625
-
Chattanooga, TN
Male - 25 Years Old
Despite those initial reports, the most recent reports said Webb will return for TASM3.
Ohhh. That would be for the best I think.
11:08 AM on 07/27/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
I agree that Webb should come back. It sure seems like they're closing up shop on this iteration of the series after TASM3 though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos