wonderboy is a assassin
12:22 AM on 02/07/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
I'd pick Wonderboy over Condit, but I'd be far less confident in him opposite Lawler. Thompson hasn't really dealt with the kind of relentless pressure a guy like Robbie can bring, but I have no doubt it would be a hell of a fight. Robbie in 5 round fights just seems like a very difficult hurdle to get past right now, large in part due to his pace and tendency for late surges.
09:35 AM on 02/07/16 
User Info.
Mrk_Brdshw
Missouri
Male - 26 Years Old
I'd pick Wonderboy over Condit, but I'd be far less confident in him opposite Lawler. Thompson hasn't really dealt with the kind of relentless pressure a guy like Robbie can bring, but I have no doubt it would be a hell of a fight. Robbie in 5 round fights just seems like a very difficult hurdle to get past right now, large in part due to his pace and tendency for late surges.

I feel like Robbie's power and his 5th round rallies are always a wild card, but I think that Thompsons precision and movement would be too much.

Saying Lawler has "relentless pressure" is a bit of s stretch. People let the last round of his last fight skew their viewpoint, but Robbie was a sitting, inactive target for Carlos for almost four whole rounds (in round three, he didn't fight for 4.5 minutes). The only times he had success was when Carlos got carried away and foolishly rushed in flat footed to brawl with him. Wonderboy has way better footwork and is so precise that he would pick him apart if he fought the same way he fought against Condit.
10:35 AM on 02/07/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
I feel like Robbie's power and his 5th round rallies are always a wild card, but I think that Thompsons precision and movement would be too much.

Saying Lawler has "relentless pressure" is a bit of s stretch. People let the last round of his last fight skew their viewpoint, but Robbie was a sitting, inactive target for Carlos for almost four whole rounds (in round three, he didn't fight for 4.5 minutes). The only times he had success was when Carlos got carried away and foolishly rushed in flat footed to brawl with him. Wonderboy has way better footwork and is so precise that he would pick him apart if he fought the same way he fought against Condit.

I don't think we can just use his last fight or 2 to examine that statement. Robbie may get flack for fading at points and surging later, but he also gets his opponents each time out to fall into that same fight. I don't think he gets near the credit he deserves.

Wonderboy has no doubt looked great, but we've never seen the guy in a 5 round fight, and nearly every time he's gone the full 3 he has been significantly less impressive late.

It would no doubt be a great fight, just think it's a tad too early to go ahead and assume he would be able to get past guys like Robbie, Condit, Woodley, etc based on his last couple of outings.
10:57 AM on 02/07/16 
User Info.
Mrk_Brdshw
Missouri
Male - 26 Years Old
I don't think we can just use his last fight or 2 to examine that statement. Robbie may get flack for fading at points and surging later, but he also gets his opponents each time out to fall into that same fight. I don't think he gets near the credit he deserves.

Wonderboy has no doubt looked great, but we've never seen the guy in a 5 round fight, and nearly every time he's gone the full 3 he has been significantly less impressive late.

It would no doubt be a great fight, just think it's a tad too early to go ahead and assume he would be able to get past guys like Robbie, Condit, Woodley, etc based on his last couple of outings.

Definitely not saying he would get past those guys, but I'm saying stylistically, there's no reason't to think he couldn't. Finishing someone as durable as Hendricks who has never been stopped just proves that no one is above getting KO'ed by him. My statement was also saying "if Lawler fought the same way he did against Condit" he would have a hard time (but if we aren't using Robbie's latest fights - his championship fights - to examine that statement, what do we use?).

I'm not bashing Lawler's style as he is at the top of the heap for a reason, but saying he has "relentless" pressure was what I had an issue with. Again, he threw an average of 10 strikes per round against Condit through the first four. Being that inactive through the first 80% of the fight, circling the outside getting struck at, would be a death wish against Wonderboy who throws similar but MUCH more impactful strikes than Condit. Robbie has a knack for finding a way to win (even though I still highly disagree that he even beat Carlos), but it's not hard to see how stylistically this is a bad match up for him.
11:28 AM on 02/07/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
Definitely not saying he would get past those guys, but I'm saying stylistically, there's no reason't to think he couldn't. Finishing someone as durable as Hendricks who has never been stopped just proves that no one is above getting KO'ed by him. My statement was also saying "if Lawler fought the same way he did against Condit" he would have a hard time (but if we aren't using Robbie's latest fights - his championship fights - to examine that statement, what do we use?).

I'm not bashing Lawler's style as he is at the top of the heap for a reason, but saying he has "relentless" pressure was what I had an issue with. Again, he threw an average of 10 strikes per round against Condit through the first four. Being that inactive through the first 80% of the fight, circling the outside getting struck at, would be a death wish against Wonderboy who throws similar but MUCH more impactful strikes than Condit. Robbie has a knack for finding a way to win (even though I still highly disagree that he even beat Carlos), but it's not hard to see how stylistically this is a bad match up for him.

Understand completely what you're saying, just find it very hard to believe Robbie's camp would draw up a gameplan that has him standing on the outside against Thompson the way Hendricks did. Taking nothing away from Thompson, he was masterful, but Johny stood back and fought his game. He played right into Wonderboy's hands, and for lack of a better word, fought stupid. The argument of course is that Robbie did that opposite Lawler, but looking at his career, that sticks out to me as the exception, not the rule. Looking at Robbie's career as a whole, I don't think relentless pressure is a stretch.

Either way, I think this is the fight to be made.
03:16 PM on 02/07/16 
User Info.
Mrk_Brdshw
Missouri
Male - 26 Years Old
Understand completely what you're saying, just find it very hard to believe Robbie's camp would draw up a gameplan that has him standing on the outside against Thompson the way Hendricks did. Taking nothing away from Thompson, he was masterful, but Johny stood back and fought his game. He played right into Wonderboy's hands, and for lack of a better word, fought stupid. The argument of course is that Robbie did that opposite Lawler, but looking at his career, that sticks out to me as the exception, not the rule. Looking at Robbie's career as a whole, I don't think relentless pressure is a stretch.

Either way, I think this is the fight to be made.

Yeah Hendricks even implied that Thompson didn't want to fight because he circled away from him so much lol I definitely think Johny wasn't ready for that type of fight or wasn't aware of his style which is why he stood at the complete worst range possible. He definitely thought the takedown was going to be there anytime he wanted. Those are careless mistakes that Lawler/Condit/Woodley will not make.
11:08 PM on 02/08/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
Gotta respect Ben Rothwell's attitude. Wants that title shot so bad he's willing to fight anyone, even a very dangerous opponent coming off a big loss.
02:03 PM on 02/11/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
The fact that there's even talk of the possibility of Conor vs. Lawler for the WW title at UFC 200 should he get past RDA is insane. How can you not love the guy?
03:27 PM on 02/11/16 
User Info.
weirderthanu210
01100010 01110101 01110100 01110100
Long Island
Male - 23 Years Old
pumped for the inevitable mcgregor vs. werdum fight.

seriously, i would be so okay with mcgregor being a triple champion.
03:32 PM on 02/11/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
Fairly certain he'll vacate 145 if he beats RDA.
10:10 PM on 02/11/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
Terrible news about Kevin Randleman. One of the first fighters I remember seeing when I got into the sport. Way too young.
07:54 AM on 02/12/16 
User Info.
Mrk_Brdshw
Missouri
Male - 26 Years Old
Kevin Randleman was one of those fighters who EVERYONE was a fan of. The guy was a beast. His KO of Cro Cop and slam of Fedor will go down as two of the greatest moments in MMA history.

Also, meeting Randleman was one of my favorite experiences as an MMA fan. Our local ref that we know very well personally used to ref Strikeforce events, and he happened to be reffing the St. Louis card that had Randleman vs. Roger Gracie on it which we decided to go to for my brother's bachelor party. The ref had a hotel room at the hotel EVERY fighter was staying at that night, but he let us have it for the bachelor party instead (it was only a two hour drive home for him). So.....after the event we (the only fans there) are surrounded by every fighter, coach, team, media member, etc. It was a dream come true.

At the event, we took our seats on the floor and the first guy we passed was Randleman. He was looking intense and getting in the zone, so we just told him "Good luck!" and he gave us both a punch to the arm as a thank you.

Afterwards at the hotel, we met a ton of people all over the place but eventually went back to the room after most of the fighters went out to party. My brother disappeared for a good hour after he went down to the lobby to wait for a pizza, so I went to go look for him (literally bumped into Overeem with his championship belt getting out of the elevator). When I found my brother in the lobby, he was locked into a conversation with Randleman and they were both laughing and having a great time. He invited my brother up to their room to go have some beers and wind down since it was his bachelor party and Randleman hadn't drank for his entire training camp, but my brother declined since there were so many of us.

We told him we would give him some of our beer if he took a photo with my brother (we were actually giving him beer regardless). Haha. He left for a second to get his wife and when he came back down, he saw we had the beer and jumped up on the escalator rails in celebration. We forgot we had asked him for a picture, so he kept making jokes about how my brother was going to end up costing us more and more beer. We just sat there as the rest of our friends slowly joined us as we listened to him talk about his charities he was excited for. It was an awesome hilarious experience (unfortunately, our friend was way too drunk to be in public and ended up annoying him and cut the night short).

That will always be by far my favorite moment as a fan of MMA. RIP The Monster.
11:09 AM on 02/12/16 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
#LGRW
No Avatar Selected
Toronto, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
Very cool story. Kevin always seemed like a great personality, and was of course always a treat to watch.
11:48 AM on 02/12/16 
User Info.
Mrk_Brdshw
Missouri
Male - 26 Years Old
Pretty much the only two things people ever said about him was that he was very intense, but he was also everyone's friend. When I talked to the ref I know about when he reffed the Randleman vs. Gracie fight, he said that after Randleman started to go unconscious from the choke and he had to wake him up, Kevin jumped up and shoved him a little bit and said "GET OFF ME!". Then, less than a minute later, he came back over to the ref and hugged him and said "Man, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that". hahaha. Pretty much sums up the type of guy he was. Total legend.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos