AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

07:50 AM on 09/09/14 
User Info.
Xuru
There were things I loved in this movie, and things I hated. I want to love these movies, but I hate how they handle the villains.
04:18 AM on 09/11/14 
User Info.
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
Philippines
Male
Andrew Garfield Says Studio Cuts Hurt The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Quote:
Garfield goes on to say that studio changes had a lot to do with creating an end product that many fans felt was less than satisfactory.

“Once you start removing things and saying, ‘No, that doesn’t work,’ then the thread is broken,” Garfield continues, “and it’s hard to go with the flow of the story. Certain people at the studio had problems with certain parts of it, and ultimately the studio is the final say in those movies because they’re the tentpoles, so you have to answer to those people.”

“It’s a discernment thing,” he explains. “What are the people actually saying? What’s underneath the complaint, and how can we learn from that? We can’t go, ‘Oh God, we f–ed up because all these people are saying all these things! It’s s–t!’ We have to ask ourselves, ‘What do we believe to be true?’ Is it that this is the fifth Spider-Man movie in however many years, and there’s a bit of fatigue? Is it that there was too much in there? Is it that it didn’t link? If it linked seamlessly, would that be too much? Were there tonal issues? What is it? I think all that is valuable. Constructive criticism is different from people just being d*cks, and I love constructive criticism.”
04:50 AM on 09/11/14 
User Info.
xJesusFreakx
duh please
PA
Male - 25 Years Old
The fuller version of the first quote is:

"For me, I read the script that Alex [Kurtzman] and Bob [Orci] wrote, and I genuinely loved it. There was this thread running through it. I think what happened was, through the pre-production, production, and post-production, when you have something that works as a whole, and then you start removing portions of it—because there was even more of it than was in the final cut, and everything was related. Once you start removing things and saying, 'No, that doesn’t work,' then the thread is broken, and it’s hard to go with the flow of the story. Certain people at the studio had problems with certain parts of it, and ultimately the studio is the final say in those movies because they’re the tentpoles, so you have to answer to those people."

He then said, "I’m proud of a lot of it and had a good time, and was a bit taken aback by the response."

I said earlier in this thread (on this page, I think) that, after watching the deleted scenes, I thought they picked the wrong things to keep (should have cut more Max Dillon and kept pretty much everything with Gwen or Harry they cut). I'm glad Andrew Garfield agrees. A simple different cut would have made a big difference in the reception to this film, which I still love.
05:04 AM on 09/11/14 
User Info.
sammyboy516
Male - 23 Years Old
I loved DeHan in Chronicle and Place Beyond the Pines but I did not like the way the handled Harry or DeHan's presentation of him at all, honestly. I enjoyed the film more than most people did but I agree that a different cut would have made it a lot better.
05:55 AM on 09/11/14 
User Info.
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
I liked DeHaan's Harry but the Goblin stuff should have been pushed to the third one.

And that Phillip Phillips song - when I hear it I think of that scene now. That has to be like a studio/Sony music decision cause it does feel out of place and random.
11:57 AM on 09/11/14 
User Info.
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
Seattle, WA
Male - 20 Years Old
Does he feel the same way about the first one then? Because that's like the exact same thing that happened.
10:10 AM on 09/14/14 
User Info.
ChaseTx
I just saw this. Liked it pretty well. Don't see why the reviews were so bad.

EDIT: Reading some of the comments about the music. I thought the score was great, especially liked Electro's music (the vocals in the first encounter could be off-putting, but personally I liked it). The pop songs didn't seem bad our out of place.

I actually didn't recognize Paul Giamatti until I remembered at the end that he was supposed to be in it.

I felt bad for Max throughout the movie.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos