Sean O'Connor - James Dean Type
Mark Normand - Still Got It
08:27 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Agreed 100%. I keep seeing these complaints, and they're just weird to me. If you don't like what you're listening to this year, dig a bit deeper and change that. I don't think I've complained about a year being lame since, like, 2009, and I was full of shit then because I only listened to like 40 or 50 records.
tbh i just don't have this kind of time... i feel like if i listen to 40 or 50 records then that's a good year for me.
08:45 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 23 Years Old
Haha, yeah, gotta go with Scott here. 50 is an accomplishment for me on any given year.
08:47 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
this is the only year ive kept a real running total, and ive probably listened to more this year than any other year
08:52 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
As you know, I disagree that it was ever light on great albums, but the reason I'm bringing up this point is that, in most cases, the complaints I've seen about this year being "weak" have had to do with a lack of blockbusters or big releases. Last year, you didn't really have to look that hard for notable, critically acclaimed albums. Kanye, JT, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, and the National were albums that just about everyone listened to because the conversation and expectations around them were so loud. This year, we really haven't had any of that, which I guess could be seen as a bad thing, but I think it's a year that's rewarded deeper digging even more as a result. Depending on how this fall goes, there's a very good chance I rank this year above last.

Right, my point wasn't to dispute with you whether it is or isn't a good year, but to dispute the contention that you couldn't have listened extensively and STILL think it's a little weaker of a year.

I'll totally grant you though that, in a fair amount of the cases, it's coming from someone whose listening habits are on the slimmer side.

Music:
Hailey, It Happens

<3

this is the only year ive kept a real running total, and ive probably listened to more this year than any other year

I've been doing it for 4 and am really happy I have. It's fascinating to look back at.
08:55 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member

I've been doing it for 4 and am really happy I have. It's fascinating to look back at.

yeah its fun, it also gives me something to reference when im trying to remember things that came out early on that slipped out of rotation
09:02 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
tbh i just don't have this kind of time... i feel like if i listen to 40 or 50 records then that's a good year for me.

Sure, but if you don't like those records as much as your favorites from previous years, then that still would give you time to go listen to other stuff, right?

Same.

Right, my point wasn't to dispute with you whether it is or isn't a good year, but to dispute the contention that you couldn't have listened extensively and STILL think it's a little weaker of a year.

I'll totally grant you though that, in a fair amount of the cases, it's coming from someone whose listening habits are on the slimmer side.

I just think it's extremely difficult to compare years of music anyway. My point was just that you can go out and find stuff you love if you're not loving what you're listening to. There are so many albums out there that I think it's odd to suggest that there is nothing out there that could wow you, which is what I felt like the person who started this conversation was hinting at. Not saying there's an absolute rule of "If you listen to more stuff, you're bound to rank every year the same" or anything like that. Just that people are, by and large, in control of how much they get out of a year of music.
09:07 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
yeah its fun, it also gives me something to reference when im trying to remember things that came out early on that slipped out of rotation

Yeah agreed. I'd never be able to make a year-end list without it ever.

I just think it's extremely difficult to compare years of music anyway. My point was just that you can go out and find stuff you love if you're not loving what you're listening to. There are so many albums out there that I think it's odd to suggest that there is nothing out there that could wow you, which is what I felt like the person who started this conversation was hinting at. Not saying there's an absolute rule of "If you listen to more stuff, you're bound to rank every year the same" or anything like that. Just that people are, by and large, in control of how much they get out of a year of music.

Yeah I agree. If you think it's a "bad" year in music, you can do better.
09:11 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
georgedcc
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
It's not a bad year for music, because there's good music that's been released this year, but other years have been better.
09:16 AM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
England
Male - 23 Years Old
I mean when I rank years, as arbitrary and pointless as it is, I'm only talking about what I've listened to because that's all I can do. Obviously I continuously try and improve what I've heard but I can't hear everything and right now it's a relatively weak year for me. I used to think 2008 was a weak year for me too until I listened to both Frank Turner's Love Ire & Song and Chad Perrone's Wake a couple of years ago and they both blew everything I'd heard from that year away. Now I'm a big fan of 2008, ha.
10:50 PM on 09/16/14 
User Info.
TheBaroness
Melbourne, Australia
Female - 30 Years Old
I'm surprised people are bummed on the music that's been released this year relative to last year. I mean, we probably have different tastes to an extent (I'm less interested in the so-called 'blockbuster' releases, so the absence of them in 2014 doesn't bother me), but it's been a long time since there were so many consistently excellent releases in a single year IMO. For instance, any of the following would be worthy of being my top 5 AOTY list in a given year:

Self Defense Family
Swans
Prawn
La Dispute
Joyce Manor
Hostage Calm
Empire! Empire!
Dikembe
Nothing
Whirr
Tigers Jaw
The Hotelier
Seahaven
Weatherbox
You Blew It!

Not to mention the 15 or so other albums I could put on my broader list, AND all the stuff that's yet to be released.
03:22 AM on 09/17/14 
User Info.
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
Switzerland
Male - 30 Years Old
This year has been brilliant for new music for me. I feel like I thought that last year too..
04:00 AM on 09/17/14 
User Info.
SpyKi
This Charming Man
England
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm surprised people are bummed on the music that's been released this year relative to last year. I mean, we probably have different tastes to an extent (I'm less interested in the so-called 'blockbuster' releases, so the absence of them in 2014 doesn't bother me), but it's been a long time since there were so many consistently excellent releases in a single year IMO. For instance, any of the following would be worthy of being my top 5 AOTY list in a given year:

Self Defense Family
Swans
Prawn
La Dispute
Joyce Manor
Hostage Calm
Empire! Empire!
Dikembe
Nothing
Whirr
Tigers Jaw
The Hotelier
Seahaven
Weatherbox
You Blew It!

Not to mention the 15 or so other albums I could put on my broader list, AND all the stuff that's yet to be released.
Yeah it's just down to different tastes I guess. I mean I've heard every one of those besides Whirr and Nothing and the only two I really liked were Hotelier and La Dispute. Hotelier is currently easily my AOTY while La Dispute is in my top 5 but probably wouldn't crack my top 15 for the last couple of years..
04:54 PM on 09/17/14 
User Info.
zarofearth
No Avatar Selected
Male - 22 Years Old
Modern Baseball
The Hotelier
Stepdad
Future Islands
Foxy Shazam
Jason Mraz
Foxing
Bleachers
Jason Feathers
LVL UP (streaming now http://www.stereogum.com/1705472/str.../album-stream/)

Have to listen to Alt-J again but liked it. Hoping for Kanye and Kendrick and excited for TV on the Radio, Gerard Way, and Andrew McMahon. Good year so far though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos