AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:40 PM on 08/29/14 
User Info.
ChaseTx
i guess i just never had to think about it because there's a town in Massachusetts also named Reading. most of New England's towns are just the names of places in England, the settlers weren't very creative.
I know about the town, but I also thought that was pronounced "reading" until I heard someone from there say it.and since I don't hear it often, it's still hard to keep straight
01:42 PM on 08/29/14 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I know about the town, but I also thought that was pronounced "reading" until I heard someone from there say it.and since I don't hear it often, it's still hard to keep straight
yeah i gotcha, i just grew up hearing people say it because Reading, MA is pretty close by
02:23 PM on 08/29/14 
User Info.
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
Killeen, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
It's pronounced Redding right?
04:15 PM on 08/29/14 
User Info.
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
WEST HAM TIL I DIE
Male - 29 Years Old
It's pronounced Redding right?

It is...
10:34 AM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
InvaderPhantom
Germany
Male - 18 Years Old
I found this really interesting paragraph someone from another forum about Travis Barker's drumming skills. Though I don't agree with him (I think Travis is one of the best drummers in this scene), it was still an interesting read and I wanted to know what you guys think about it.

Quote:
I haven't studied percussion in any capacity, but simply being a drummer in a few shitty garage bands and gigging around has shown me that what this dude is saying is true. I am not going to play an indie pop song with the same techniques as a punk song. I play in a punk rock band. With them, I stick to basic ("straight 16th note pattern") fills and simple, fast, repetitive parts. Is it because I'm a poor drummer? No. It's because it fits the music. I also play in an indie rock band. With them, I play more quietly (because, though Barker wouldn't know, dynamics are huge in drumming). The fills, when appropriate, are more delicate and more technical, not just "I can hit the toms really friggin' fast!". Off-beats are everything; with the exception of punk, I think it's important to approach drumming as if you're a jazz drummer. The drums exist to keep the beat and accentuate the other instruments. When the other instruments have a hard hit on an off-beat, I'll hit the snare to match it. Style is EVERYTHING.

Travis Barker, while not being a terrible drummer, is not all that great either. When Blink plays their older material, he plays, as I said earlier, "really friggin' fast". It fits. Blink's early material doesn't require too much talent from a drummer, it just needs someone who can keep a beat and play at extremely quick tempos. Once you hit Enema of the State and (especially) the self-titled, though, there's a lot more room for more specific drum beats. I really like what he does on songs like Don't Leave Me and Stockholm Syndrome; on those two, I think he doesn't get too ahead of himself and his parts fit the feel of the song. Don't Leave Me is just a cheeky little pop-punk breakup song, and his drumbeat is quick and upbeat and energetic. Isolate the drums and I'd believe it was the Descendents. Stockholm Syndrome is the heaviest song Blink has in their repertoire, and Barker's drums give the track enough movement while still feeling really solid. The quieter middle section is very conducive to the 16ths on the closed hi-hat, and nothing sounds out of place. Most importantly, the fact that he pretty much lives in the off-beats throughout that song adds a lot to paranoia and claustrophobia of the lyrics. The first tom fill that he plays doesn't kick back into the beat until the and of 1 on the next measure and it feels really stilted and uncomfortable. It's great. And then there's a song like "I Miss You". I honest-to-god think that "I Miss You" may have the single worst, most out-of-place drumbeat in the history of recorded music. I swear to god they sat around in some room writing and Travis went, "Hey, so you know that acoustic song? Maybe I'll play a boring, repetitive and uncreative hip-hop beat behind it, and really bash the shit out of the drums, except it's still acoustic and fitting because technically I'm using brushes". That song didn't even *need* drums in the first place, and the track he laid for it just makes it feel like some douchey Sublime song. Adam's Song is another prime example of him overstating his presence. The offbeat splash cymbal feels really unnecessary, and even in the studio version he's way too... present. He treats every song like it's a loud rap-rock song, and that wrecks a lot of the cool stuff that Blink tries to do.

Credit goes to xJackx from the GDC.
11:23 AM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
ChaseTx
His initial thoughts are perfectly valid ideas on a fucking boring approach to drumming. Yes, the drummer's primary job is to keep the beat of the song, and that makes for a passable, likely forgettable drum track. But the best jazz drummers don't play some quiet, understated beat to let the other instruments shine. When the the song gets upbeat and technical, the drummer keeps right up with everyone else.

The points at the end about Adam's Song and I Miss You are just stupid. Those are both great, unique drum pays and the songs are more memorable for them.
12:44 PM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
BrenChampReilly
Self Proclaimed Ladies Man
Washington DC
Male - 24 Years Old
Tom has been posting pictures of him from the recent tour and it makes me happy. I really hope that once AVA is done with their stuff in 2014, blink can channel that energy from their Untitled tours adn this more recent tour. I'm excited. And in the meantime, it looks like we'll get some Nothing And Nobody...?

Also, my brother is selling his Dude Ranch splatter vinyl, sealed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151396033287...84.m1555.l2649
01:47 PM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
LogikaX
Project Tu
No Avatar Selected
While I think that Travis actually does have some pretty creative beats and I really like the drum beat on I Miss You, I think that this quote by my personal favorite drummer Gavin Harrison can also be used in regards to some of his more self-indulgent fills:

Quote:
When I see people playing fast and flashy, all I知 aware of is that I知 witnessing a regurgitation of some incredible amount of practice. And I find it really boring. Really boring. Because I think, yeah, I can see you致e practiced that to death. So what am I witnessing? I知 not witnessing any music here, I知 not witnessing any expression. I知 witnessing you doing a circus act.
04:12 PM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
I make music.
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
While I think that Travis actually does have some pretty creative beats and I really like the drum beat on I Miss You, I think that this quote by my personal favorite drummer Gavin Harrison can also be used in regards to some of his more self-indulgent fills:
i'll agree with that quote. but that's a big part of what makes Blink's live shows fun. Travis is so fun to watch. Whether it's a circus act or not, it's one of the main things that keeps me going to Blink shows. So carry on, Travis!
10:27 PM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
Amongster
Still On The Sand
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
Follow-up to my last couple of comments: I spent the past week-and-a-half listening to mostly Dude Ranch, and it's a damn fantastic record with production that really fits the songs. I'd also agree that song arrangements are generally more interesting than most songs off Enema or TOYPAJ.

Can't believe it took me this long to come around.
10:36 PM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
ComedownMachine
No Avatar Selected
I'm definitely an Enema > Dude Ranch guy (TOYPAJ is worse, though) but I can easily say Dude Ranch is lyrically superior.

Edit: I hope this doesn't turn into a ranking. Just wanted to discuss my love for Dude Ranch lyrics.
11:09 PM on 08/31/14 
User Info.
ChaseTx
I won't rank them now, haha, but I just wanna say Enema is my second least favorite

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos