AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Tour Dates News - Page 6
Displaying posts 75 - 90 of 96.
09:50 AM on 01/23/13
ravishingmattf
User Info.
And for my first post I'd like to commend the asshattery of the people who are trying to claim The Story So Far lyrics are sexist. Im actually impressed with some of the things people can turn into a conspiracy. On the count of 3 everyone take a band's lyrics personally! 1,2,3... -_-
10:49 AM on 01/23/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
At a show once, Parker dedicated Mt. Diablo to all the "sluts that don't know how to be faithful to their men." Then there was a huge argument in a thread a while ago about whether this was him shaming people for cheating on their SO's, or "sluts" in general.

I find the word "slut" damaging and inherently sexist, but hey, that's me.

edit: misworded it. actual wording edited in.

A friend of mine went to a show where they dedicated a song to "all the little sluts in the crowd", and then played "Daughters." Finding out about that pretty much made it impossible for me to like them anymore. Before that, I could sort of excuse their behavior, but there is a line, and that comments definitely crosses it. (Again, I won't argue against "Mt. Diablo", because that's definitely about a specific person. My personal distaste for the song isn't really relevant in this argument.)

I see, thanks for clarifying. It's probably a good thing I've ignored this band until now.
11:16 AM on 01/23/13
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Rocketown not part of Suppy Nation
11:31 AM on 01/23/13
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
I see, thanks for clarifying. It's probably a good thing I've ignored this band until now.
Fuck no! this band is fucking rad haha. that whole "this band is sexist" is bullshit. at least check them out or see them live before listening to the one or two people bashing them (on the internet). The hype around this band is very well deserved, and theyre just cool fucking dudes.
11:49 AM on 01/23/13
r392
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this might piss people off, buttttttt.
in their defense over this whole daughters bullshit,
and before i say any of this im not saying this in a bad way, just simply stating what goes on. and yes this song does come off degrading, but
this is kinda what you see in santa barbara (where he went for a little bit). it happens all the time. and im not saying this is everyone everywhere, im just saying this is what you see in the majority of this college town.
i would have to say that most freshmen here have lived this experience that he sings about, and in sb i feel like that because its so common its really no big deal. and this song is simply just stating what you observe as a guy whose come to their senses, or maybe as an angry bitter guy whose over this scene.

the weekend routine out here goes like this:
you get ready, go out, get fucked up, and go where ever the night leads you.
then next day you gather with your friends, laugh about where you ended up/ whose bed you wake up in, and look at the injuries youve acquired from the night before. maybe be ashamed for a little bit, but then you get over it because you realize that well, shit happens and it happens to everyone. as for being hung over that is so point on. but people here usually just day rage in the sun/ on the beach and party to avoid that shitty feeling.
you learn from your mistakes, change your ways, grow older and mature and move on from that lifestyle.

also another note, also people come here for what it is, this lifestyle is what this town is known for... so as shocking as it is to people, it is what it is.

i cant wait to see the responses i get to this...
procrastination at its finest.
01:18 PM on 01/23/13
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Wow, more and more bands are doing this.
02:43 PM on 01/23/13
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Did that dildo just try to justify cheating?
03:09 PM on 01/23/13
r392
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did that dildo just try to justify cheating?
if your referring to my post... no, im not justifying cheating.
cheating is absolutely unacceptable.

im trying to justify that just maybe, the song daughters isnt sexist.
that maybe its just what they observed.
04:39 PM on 01/23/13
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
and yet, Daughters and Mt. Diablo continue to played at their shows.

"I'm all for LGBT rights but FUCK GIRLS WHO SLEEP WITH PEOPLE AND DRINK!!! AWW YEAHH!!! WEED!!!!"
But those are great songs with honest lyrics.
06:35 PM on 01/23/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
I really do not get what is so hard about accepting that there is nothing wrong with having sex with people. It's the year 2012. Casual sex is okay. You don't have to be deeply in love. It's a human experience, nothing more, nothing less. You don't degrade in value every time you sleep with a new person. That is the root of what I'm getting at. These lyrics try to make some grand sweeping statement about women in college who choose to lead a sex positive lifestyle. They are meant to shame women for their personal choices. Note, there are no repercussions for the the males doing the same thing, no one is telling them THEY'RE "away at college, not getting smarter." Oh, and guess what? You can have sex on a regular basis AND STILL BE AN INTELLIGENT PERSON.

This is the point I'm trying to make about TSSF. This is why they are sexist. And if you really can't see that, and acknowledge the message they're trying to send is problematic, then I seriously question your intelligence.
07:34 PM on 01/23/13
mycol
I forgot what I was going to say.
User Info.
Does anybody else find it funny that the person who's arguing so much about TSSF being sexist assholes has them listed as one of her favorite bands on her profile?
08:49 PM on 01/23/13
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
User Info.
Does anybody else find it funny that the person who's arguing so much about TSSF being sexist assholes has them listed as one of her favorite bands on her profile?
You can find comments and lyrics problematic while also appreciating an album for what it is. USAD is an awesome pop punk record. Does that excuse the blatant sexism on two of the songs, or comments made by Parker at shows? Nope.
09:01 PM on 01/23/13
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
I really do not get what is so hard about accepting that there is nothing wrong with having sex with people. It's the year 2012. Casual sex is okay. You don't have to be deeply in love. It's a human experience, nothing more, nothing less. You don't degrade in value every time you sleep with a new person. That is the root of what I'm getting at. These lyrics try to make some grand sweeping statement about women in college who choose to lead a sex positive lifestyle. They are meant to shame women for their personal choices. Note, there are no repercussions for the the males doing the same thing, no one is telling them THEY'RE "away at college, not getting smarter." Oh, and guess what? You can have sex on a regular basis AND STILL BE AN INTELLIGENT PERSON.

This is the point I'm trying to make about TSSF. This is why they are sexist. And if you really can't see that, and acknowledge the message they're trying to send is problematic, then I seriously question your intelligence.

Lol it's not the year 2012 you silly goose : )
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS