Username
Password

Comments: Page 24
Displaying posts 345 - 360 of 371
07:47 AM on 01/12/13
RyanWilliam
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't see The Offspring anywhere mentioned in here......
11:54 AM on 01/12/13
Basketcase
User Info.
i think AFI and Offspring should be on the list
03:28 PM on 01/12/13
WordsAndFears
easy goes
User Info.
Thoughts on Linkin Park? They've certainly remained visible over the last ten years or so (and they've been around for close to twenty)- and usually have at least one or two songs that hit mainstream radio. They definitely fall into the "alt" part of this train of thought, but are they maybe too "hard rock"/ "rock" based? I maybe wouldn't put them in the top ten, seeing as what Jason's top ten consisted of, but somewhere between 10 and 20?
08:30 PM on 01/12/13
ChrisCanberg
User Info.
Also, I feel like I don't have a good gauge on just how big MCR was (is?)

Would you guys say MCR's success over their 2-3 biggest albums was more monumental than Panic! At The Disco's two biggest albums? Does their longevity catapult them that far ahead of Panic?
Pretty much. Panic hit a really good stride after they won that VMA for video of the year back in 2006(?) but then Pretty. Odd. came out and kinda shook everything up. "Nine In The Afternoon" was a good single that didn't get nearly the amount of attention as "I Write Sins" did. Then Vices and Virtues finally came out and that kinda put them back on the spot.

I predict their next album will be pretty huge.
11:45 PM on 01/12/13
Sikbeat37
You like music too? Woah.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm disappointed that I'm stumbling on this discussion so late since I'm such a sucker for rankings. I made a 1-30 list. I'm expanding my pool of bands to include any band that has its roots in punk, pop punk, "emo," post punk/grunge, pop rock, and other pinky derivatives of alt-rock (broadly speaking). No bands formed earlier than 1985 (the Offspring were the cutoff for me). I believe all of the bands below are or have at one point been tracked on the AP.net main page. I exclude bands that overlap with the indie music scene (Death Cab/Postal Service, Modest Mouse, She & Him) because I think they represent a different core following. I feel like No Doubt could have been added to this list because of Tragic Kingdom but like RHCP, Linkin Park, and Incubus, I think the overall discography falls far enough from the core punk style to warrant exclusion.

1. Green Day
2. Blink-182
3. Weezer
4. Fall Out Boy
5. Gym Class Heroes
6. The Offspring
7. fun.
8. Good Charlotte
9. My Chemical Romance
10. Rise Against
11. All American Rejects
12. Jimmy Eat World
13. Sum 41
14. Avenged Sevenfold
15. Dashboard Confessional
16. AFI
17. Ben Folds Five
18. Coheed & Cambria
19. Paramore
20. Bowling For Soup
21. 3OH3
22. Cobra Starship
23. Motion City Soundtrack
24. Plain White T's
25. Yellowcard
26. Something Corporate/Jack's Mannequin
27. New Found Glory
28. Simple Plan
29. Reel Big Fish
30 The Get Up Kids
03:15 AM on 01/13/13
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
Yeah, I more or less agree with the list. I think I'd put Panic! at number 9 and swap Gym Class Heroes with Cobra Starship, but otherwise it's accurate.

Definitely agree about fun., they're the biggest band right now with roots in the scene. I think I'd put them below Paramore as of now though. But the next album releases of both bands will test who will be on top after that.

Seeing how fun. got huge and ATL didn't really break into the mainstream radio (although I've been hearing Somewhere in Neverland on pop radio stations), I guess that says something about how the "scene" and its relation to getting into pop stardom has changed.

Also, Boys Like Girls and The Cab would be in there if only their subsequent albums were as huge as their debuts.

And just a random thing: fun. was playing on the radio this one time while I was in the car with my dad. He asked me who they were, and after I told him, he said they reminded him of Queen. Pretty cool.
09:51 PM on 01/13/13
finfan238
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Honestly if Linkin Park is eligible, they'd be #1 without a doubt. Just look at their following across the world, sales, top hits and all of the stadiums they have sold out (almost every show since the beginning). I don't believe they belong, however, as they began their careers with breaking records (unlike Fun. who has admirably worked their way up).
On the other hand, no way do I believe Fun. belongs on this list. They are pure pop, in my opinion, and nothing is wrong with that. I agree with the writer that they structurally are very similar to Queen and I'm interested to see if their success continues.
11:15 AM on 01/14/13
kittypants
lordsaveusfromourscene.co m
User Info.
fun. sucks. i don't understand the hoopla with them. dudes' voice is appalling
01:30 PM on 01/17/13
Sikbeat37
You like music too? Woah.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I dunno about Paramore being that low but I agree with throwing A7X on there. A lot of people forget they used to be metalcore, and they are absolutely massive now. I disagree with a lot of your rankings (unless they aren't rankings but just a list) but I think most of the bands deserve to be somewhere in the list at least. Not sure if I would put Ben Folds in there. Also I'm glad you put Plain White T's on there. Again I think many people forget that they were a freakin pop punk band that got a number one hit (given it was an acoustic song, but still).

No, I intended for this to be a ranking. Granted, I did absolutely no research so there are likely flaws. Roughly speaking- 1-10 had some combination of a massively popular single, a string of popular singles, and sustained media attention. Again, absolutely no backup beyond my own perception, so I could have easily misjudged. 11-20 were bands with more than one popular single and generally had a shorter peak duration. 21-30 are mostly one hit wonders in a mainstream context.

Concerning Paramore, I'm not a huge fan (along with a lot of other bands on this list) so I may be unaware of exactly how much exposure they've gotten. As far as I could tell, not counting that BOB collab, they garnered some attention with Misery Business and then retracted back to their core following (which is large but not necessarily representative of a pop music audience). Ben Folds is piano pop- right in the same wheelhouse as fun. and SoCo/JM. I think they fit. In retrospect, the only bands I think I forgot was Panic! and maybe Hellogoodbye or OK GO. I would put all three in that bottom tier anyway, though maybe with more info Panic! sneaks into the 17-20 range. Idk, I'd be curious to see how you'd switch bands around. Go for it if you feel like taking the time, haha.
01:55 PM on 01/17/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
No, I intended for this to be a ranking. Granted, I did absolutely no research so there are likely flaws. Roughly speaking- 1-10 had some combination of a massively popular single, a string of popular singles, and sustained media attention. Again, absolutely no backup beyond my own perception, so I could have easily misjudged. 11-20 were bands with more than one popular single and generally had a shorter peak duration. 21-30 are mostly one hit wonders in a mainstream context.

Concerning Paramore, I'm not a huge fan (along with a lot of other bands on this list) so I may be unaware of exactly how much exposure they've gotten. As far as I could tell, not counting that BOB collab, they garnered some attention with Misery Business and then retracted back to their core following (which is large but not necessarily representative of a pop music audience). Ben Folds is piano pop- right in the same wheelhouse as fun. and SoCo/JM. I think they fit. In retrospect, the only bands I think I forgot was Panic! and maybe Hellogoodbye or OK GO. I would put all three in that bottom tier anyway, though maybe with more info Panic! sneaks into the 17-20 range. Idk, I'd be curious to see how you'd switch bands around. Go for it if you feel like taking the time, haha.
They got way bigger with the album after Misery Business from what I recall.
06:43 AM on 01/18/13
piaffeprncess98
check out www.avoidthescene.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Interesting thread. What about Owl City? I know he had ties to Relient K in some way before he got big.
05:53 PM on 01/26/13
eriatarka24
User Info.
5 / 10 Fueled by Ramen (6 if you count Jimmy Eat World)... wow
First thing I noticed haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT