Username
Password

02:53 PM on 11/11/14 
User Info.
xJesusFreakx
we never go out of style
PA
Male - 26 Years Old
A thought just occurred to me. Is this Aunt May movie the earlier rumored female led Spider-Man movie? Or was that rumor actually about a female with spider powers? I don't remember the exact rumor.

All we know is that Sony has (had?) Lisa Joy Nolan writing a script centered around a female character in Spider-Man's world, with a tentative release in 2017. That film could be this rumor, or it could be the female ensemble, or it could be Black Cat, or it could be a Spider-Woman, or it could be Silver Sable... Nobody knows. (My hope is still for Silver Sable.)

Yeah. It's more in reference to the recent rumors. Sinister Six, the idea of doing the all-female (I'm all for that) team-up without their origins (not a good idea), and, now, Aunt May in her own spy prequel. Plus, there's the rumors out there saying they're trying to bring Gwen back into the fold for TASM3. Just doesn't seem like they have any idea what they want to do. Honestly, I think they're just leaking these ideas out to gauge interest in them.

What are the odds that they could utilize the Spider-Gwen costume on a technicality? 'Cause I wouldn't mind a variation of the clone saga with a Gwen clone and Kaine (and no Ben Reilly shenanigans, even though I love the classic Scarlet Spider outfit), launching those two characters as Spider-Woman and Scarlet Spider in the aftermath.

Trying to bring in a Gwen clone at the same time as the Sinister Six would be a mess, though, but ASM2 showed that Sony doesn't have much patience, so we'll see.

[Obligatory reminder that, no matter this franchise's fate, I want Goddard's Sinister Six film.]
03:04 PM on 11/11/14 
User Info.
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
Detroit, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
I would love a Spider-Gwen movie.
04:00 PM on 11/11/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
What are the odds that they could utilize the Spider-Gwen costume on a technicality? 'Cause I wouldn't mind a variation of the clone saga with a Gwen clone and Kaine (and no Ben Reilly shenanigans, even though I love the classic Scarlet Spider outfit), launching those two characters as Spider-Woman and Scarlet Spider in the aftermath.

Trying to bring in a Gwen clone at the same time as the Sinister Six would be a mess, though, but ASM2 showed that Sony doesn't have much patience, so we'll see.

[Obligatory reminder that, no matter this franchise's fate, I want Goddard's Sinister Six film.]
I assume they'd have no issue. There was that talk going around that Marvel didn't want anyone creating new mutants because their rights automatically go to Fox. I'd assume the same goes for Sony's Spider-Man rights. It's still up in the air, but I don't think Sony has rights to Spider-Woman. She's a part of the Spider-Verse team-up, but her origin and much of her history doesn't tie into that part of Marvel. The idea of clones and multiverses might be a bit too convoluted and, frankly, dumb for cinematic purposes though.
04:04 PM on 11/11/14 
User Info.
livethesounds
There is no try
San Antonio, TX
Male - 30 Years Old
haha, just the idea of Sony trying to pull off a clones story when they can't even un-jumble some seemingly good and easy ideas from what they had in the first 2 SMs makes me laugh.

My only real hope for something good is them sharing the spidey rights with Marvel within the next year. I'd really like to see Garfield as spider man in the current marvel universe.
06:04 PM on 11/11/14 
User Info.
xJesusFreakx
we never go out of style
PA
Male - 26 Years Old
I assume they'd have no issue. There was that talk going around that Marvel didn't want anyone creating new mutants because their rights automatically go to Fox. I'd assume the same goes for Sony's Spider-Man rights. It's still up in the air, but I don't think Sony has rights to Spider-Woman. She's a part of the Spider-Verse team-up, but her origin and much of her history doesn't tie into that part of Marvel. The idea of clones and multiverses might be a bit too convoluted and, frankly, dumb for cinematic purposes though.

Well, what I'm suggesting isn't using that story so much as using the concept of a Gwen Spider-Woman presented there and applying it to the Clone Saga narrative. And, I'd argue the clones were only convoluted in the 90s because the writers let it get convoluted, with the whole drama of who's the real Spider-Man and whatnot, which is why I suggest completely ignoring Ben Reilly.

Just have Kaine be a messy attempt by Oscorp to create a new Spider-Man for their purposes, and then have Miles Warren create a better one modeled after Gwen because he obsessed over her when she worked there. Peter encounters Gwen, and it creates tension for him because by then he's dating MJ. Then, Kaine shows up while Spidey's patrolling the streets and chases him down. Eventually, the plot leads him to Warren, who reveals the program to recreate Spider-Man and in some capacity becomes the Jackal. In the end, the Jackal is defeated, Peter and MJ come to grips with the Gwen situation and are closer as a result, and Kaine and Gwen are seen moving to Texas, perhaps already designing their new costumes.

Boom. I would love the heck out of that movie.

(Of course, Sony probably doesn't have those rights, but oh well. A fellow can dream, right?)
11:27 AM on 11/15/14 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
lol Sony

Just a reminder: Sony sold the merchandising rights back to Marvel for $278 million in 2011. They sold $1.3 billion worth of Spider-Man merchandise last year alone.
01:15 PM on 11/15/14 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't see how Spider-Gwen would make much sense in this universe since Peter's dad made the spider venom only compatible with Parker DNA
02:15 PM on 11/15/14 
User Info.
AndrewSoup
It's A Secret To Everyone
Bay Area, California
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't see how Spider-Gwen would make much sense in this universe since Peter's dad made the spider venom only compatible with Parker DNA
I'm willing to completely overlook that dumb part of the plot if they are.
I hate all this "destiny/pre-destined" stuff they put in there. That's part of the origin of the character, the whole spider bite thing could've happened to anybody.

Edit: And besides, Spider-Gwen is a completely different universe/alternate timeline anyway.
03:57 PM on 11/15/14 
User Info.
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
TX/NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
When do they have to produce another film by?
05:20 PM on 11/15/14 
User Info.
drudo182
Be Royal
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
2017 I think.
05:37 PM on 11/15/14 
User Info.
xJesusFreakx
we never go out of style
PA
Male - 26 Years Old
What comes out in early 2017? I feel like a March/April 2017 date would be better for Sinister Six, now that the other comic franchises have laid out their plans. Trying to push that film just months after Suicide Squad and weeks after Dr. Strange (even though those are untested franchises) seems unwise. Plus, November tends to have a lot of competition in general. Then they wouldn't have to release another film until late 2019/early 2020, which would let Spidey breathe a little and skip past the minefield of Avengers and Justice League.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos