Username
Password
RIAA News
Have a news tip? Submit news.
RIAA
Inside AP.net

Note: This Does Not Justify Stealing Music

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (04/21/09)
A new study has found that music pirates are ten times more likely to buy music than non-piraters. Yarr.

Submitted by prttylittlelost

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45
10:32 AM on 04/21/09
friskycurtain
Registered Member
User Info.
Ain't that a poke in the eye
10:36 AM on 04/21/09
ManicanParty49
Rob Carey Peterson
User Info.
Wait...

People who download music are more likely to pay for it than people who don't download music. That sentence does not logically follow.
10:38 AM on 04/21/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
I guess it kind of makes sense. People who download music are exposed to more of it than those limited to purchasing it, then therefore execute the "try before you buy" method. It doesn't happen often, but I guess that is the mindset of the study.
10:39 AM on 04/21/09
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
and people who only buy music legally are 100% likely to only buy music legally.

and people who buy no music are 100% likely to not buy music.
10:39 AM on 04/21/09
dejadevilgod
Viva la lucabombs!
User Info.
Its true, i download music, but if i like the band, I buy their next releases
10:40 AM on 04/21/09
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
Wait...

People who download music are more likely to pay for it than people who don't download music. That sentence does not logically follow.
yeah it does. What it means is that most people who aren't pirating music don't even care for music in the first place. Those who really care for music might pirate it, but because they like music they buy it too. And it doesn't matter how often you do either all the study shows is that people who pirate also buy.
10:41 AM on 04/21/09
Shaved Goat
Come on feet, cruise for me
User Info.
I'm a little bit confused by this. I would love to read the study. I'm wondering what it means to be a music user who doesn't buy music or download music illegally. Where does the music come from?
10:43 AM on 04/21/09
bung
Peel slowly and see
User Info.
Muahaha, I steal music and I'm still ten times more likely to actually buy music than you are.
10:45 AM on 04/21/09
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
sounds about right.
you download something... if you like it, you buy it. if you don't, you delete it.
10:46 AM on 04/21/09
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
I understand in. I'm one of these people ha ha. Like I downloaded the Gaslight Anthem The '59 sound, then I actually got a physical release too. But I agree with the above, the people that pirate music are also more expose to it which leads to them buying cd's.
10:49 AM on 04/21/09
kdefrisc
I love whisks
User Info.
i guess it makes sense that if you are exposed to music for free you are more likely to buy music that you enjoyed upon hearing. i do love having a solid copy though

10:50 AM on 04/21/09
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
User Info.
Wait...

Yeah I'm with you on that. Music users who don't download illegally have to pay for it, and are thus completely likely to pay for it. It doesn't make sense that a group of people could be more likely to pay for music than those who only pay for it.
10:54 AM on 04/21/09
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
However, people who pirate music tend to get a lot more albums illegally before they actually buy physical copies of music. So still they are not helping the industry much, haha.
10:56 AM on 04/21/09
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sounds about right.
you download something... if you like it, you buy it. if you don't, you delete it.
If you like it, shoulda put a ring on it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos