AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Oceans - Nothing Collapses Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics N/A
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Oceans - Nothing Collapses

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (04/21/09)
OceansNothing Collapses
Record Label: Copper Lung Records
Release Date: March 24, 2009

Windy days are a chore. Struggling around town, swaying from left to right, means passersby are thinking but one thing: “A bit early for a drink, huh?” For those of us with wiry (skeletal) frames and aversions to general balance, it’s just plain unfair. Why should we be made to look like fools when the rest of the world can, you know, walk normally? In music this surprising lack of balance creates vastly different outcomes. Moving from a brooding track to a light peppering of spring-like carelessness is not so much ADD as it is explorative. At times, working in abruptly diagonal lines exhausts. Surprises within a surprise can quickly cause listeners to turn an LP into an EP. And then again, this method of incisive movements may also result in a musical experience that’s about discovering trapdoors in an effort to create the most detailed blueprint. This happy conclusion is where we find Oceans and their world-spinning debut, Nothing Collapses.

For those of you who made it past my sorry attempt at “upper-level thinking”, I reward you by forcefully pushing further cerebral imaginings far, far away. This always happens with instrumental music; I sit back, relax, and before I know it, the moon’s out and my legs have atrophied. Although with Oceans, a constant slew of changing dynamics forces one to stand up straight. Much like the ebb and flow of its creator's nom de plume, Nothing Collapses moves from reflective moments to technical applications of force and noise. “We Are Ruins”, for example, could be twelve minutes instead of six. Such an extension would allow Oceans to realize just how crescendo-y its crescendos can be.

And then, after the expected post-rock zig-zaggaing of loud-to-soft-to-Really-Loud, Oceans throws a curveball for the ages. (Or something dramatic like that.) As “Boy Detective” warbles happily in the upper register, things are nice but not as dynamic as I’d have you believe. Well, until the vocals enter. It’s more about camaraderie than singing, as the voices only shout and scream. Here it’s simplicity upon simplicity: “Hey, starry eyes / Don’t forget to keep smiling /…/ But don’t forget about me.” Reverb-ridden guitars finally fade away to reveal another vocal Easter Egg, and it’s one we all know well: “I’m not coming home / I’m never coming home!”

As songs like “Sound Of Static” and “City At Peace” continue the mesmerizing journey through every volume conceivable, Nothing Collapses gallops towards its finale. As you’d expect, "Your Plane Leaves Tomorrow" is long, intense and youth-fueled. The only other track with vocals, we are treated to the succinct smartness of, “One day / You’ll wake up / In a strange place.” Featuring more gigantic climaxes than ever before, this song uses Luis Belorin’s oft-overshadowed violin to stand out above the hammering guitars and crashing cymbals. It’s a culmination of Oceans’ unquenchable thirst to shock its audience. For an instrumental album to end with hastily shouted lyrics, the band must be immovably sure of itself. Oceans is clearly that kind of band, and Nothing Collapses is certainly that kind of album.

Recommended If You Like: Daturah, Lymbyc System, leather chairs, Gifts From Enola, lit fireplaces

A memorandumwww.myspace.com/broceans

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
08:55 AM on 04/22/09
diamonddogs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review, Blake. It's a great album, but I'd recommend any interested listeners to check out Broceans live to understand the full energetic/artistic expression. From what I hear, if you have a house they'll play a show there.
09:13 AM on 04/22/09
lenard27
Let's Go Pens! And Yanks!
User Info.
Nice review. I'm definitely checking this out.
09:32 AM on 04/22/09
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
I just listened to the first two songs on their Myspace and was thoroughly unimpressed, even if it sounded nice. I feel like you're always much more picky than me, Blake; what distinguishes a song like "Lit Up Under Streetlights" from any other band that sounds exactly like this? It sounds great, sure, but it also sounds like I've heard it on my This Will Destroy You and Caspian albums, and in my opinion, in a better form.

P.S. Is a Mono review forthcoming?
09:44 AM on 04/22/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I just listened to the first two songs on their Myspace and was thoroughly unimpressed, even if it sounded nice. I feel like you're always much more picky than me, Blake; what distinguishes a song like "Lit Up Under Streetlights" from any other band that sounds exactly like this? It sounds great, sure, but it also sounds like I've heard it on my This Will Destroy You and Caspian albums, and in my opinion, in a better form.

P.S. Is a Mono review forthcoming?
i do think that song is kind of weak, especially for an opener. The rest of the songs are a bit louder and more dramatic, plus the inclusion of vocals really helps to break up the album for me, which is why I detailed both of those rare songs. To me this album does a good job of getting in your face in a much more confrontational way than TWDY, for example, but it's light moments are also more intriguing.
11:05 AM on 04/22/09
secondaryjon
User Info.
First minute of boy detective is good. The rest sounds like uninspired American Football. I'd rather listen to Canada's Oceans HIJACKED!
11:07 AM on 04/22/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
First minute of boy detective is good. The rest sounds like uninspired American Football. I'd rather listen to Canada's Oceans HIJACKED!
zing! nicely played
02:27 PM on 04/22/09
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Wasn't too keen on this after first listen. Kinda just sounds like a less realized and cohesive Moving Mountains.
03:12 PM on 04/22/09
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
i do think that song is kind of weak, especially for an opener. The rest of the songs are a bit louder and more dramatic, plus the inclusion of vocals really helps to break up the album for me, which is why I detailed both of those rare songs. To me this album does a good job of getting in your face in a much more confrontational way than TWDY, for example, but it's light moments are also more intriguing.

Thanks for responding; I will give the rest of the songs a shot. Also, I think I edited my post right as you were mid-response, but are you planning on reviewing the new Mono CD?
03:16 PM on 04/22/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Thanks for responding; I will give the rest of the songs a shot. Also, I think I edited my post right as you were mid-response, but are you planning on reviewing the new Mono CD?

Its not in queue right now. Is it worth my time? Im only soso on the band.
04:50 PM on 04/22/09
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Its not in queue right now. Is it worth my time? Im only soso on the band.
Not who you asked but yeah, it's good. By the numbers but good. Definitely the easist album of theirs to get into and for a fan of post-rock like yourself definitely at least worth a try.

Great review, checking it out tomorrow probably.
08:12 PM on 04/22/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Not who you asked but yeah, it's good. By the numbers but good. Definitely the easist album of theirs to get into and for a fan of post-rock like yourself definitely at least worth a try.

Great review, checking it out tomorrow probably.
i just don't have time to listen to You Are There these days, ya know? It takes too long, kinda my problem with a band like Sickoakes as well. Which is why I like albums like this where there are a couple 10 minute songs, but others are 5,6, whatever. And also, this album just gets loud at points, which is another reason i love it.
08:15 PM on 04/22/09
thetimmyk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so i'm guessing this isn't that shitty black metal band
10:03 PM on 04/22/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
so i'm guessing this isn't that shitty black metal band
haha, nope
12:19 AM on 04/23/09
TheBaroness
User Info.
Good review. Some of the parts on this album remind me of Sharks Keep Moving a bit (a wee bit). It's nothing special, but I enjoy it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums