Album Review
Toby the Fugitive - Proxima Distort Album Cover

Toby the Fugitive - Proxima Distort

Reviewed by
Toby the Fugitive - Proxima Distort
Record Label: Chamberlain Records
Release Date: April 22, 2008
“It’s too late, too late I’m wasted.”

Even if you’ve never heard of Toby the Fugitive, continue reading. I’d never heard of them, but I’ve taken notice. The band comes out of fertile Nashville, Tennessee, the home of country music and Paramore. However, this band sounds nothing like either. Proxima Distort is a different album, full of hard riffs and awesome vocals. Overall the album is good and presents a band with a very intriguing sound.

The first thing one will notice when listening to Toby the Fugitive are the vocals. Casey Carstens has a very distinct voice, similar to Coheed and Cambria’s Claudio Sanchez, as it is considerably higher then most vocalists’. If one can adjust to them, the vocals are quite good, despite the average production. A prime example of Carstens’ vocals can be heard in “X Marks the Spot,” a definite highlight of Proxima Distort, where Carstens slips into screaming in front of some crunching guitars. “Vampire Kiss” features some soaring vocals from Carstens with lyrics about a girl who seems to be draining his energy.

Proxima Distort features some very good musicianship. The guitars by Rick Franklin shine on many songs, with distortion on some tracks. Franklin is very schizophrenic on this album; one minute he’s rocking out, the next he's offering slower musings to supplement Carstens. Toby the Fugitive’s sound is definitely tinged with Southern rock, but it’s very progressive as well. The drums drive “Clarksville Set a Blaze,” pushing the song into some interesting hooks from Franklin.

After a few album spins, I noticed that this is a band in need of better production to give them more room for experimentation as well as to fully extenuate Carstens’ voice and Franklin’s guitar. Still, Proxima Distort is a good album that could be a coming out party for a band whose limits are only what people place on them. Who knows where Toby the Fugitive will go from here.

Highlights"X Marks the Spot"; "Lab Rat"; "Clarksville Set a Blaze"

Recommended If You Likepost punk; psychedelic; Southern rock

myspace.com/tobythefugitive
This review is a user submitted review from im_wide_awake. You can see all of im_wide_awake's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
02:59 PM on 05/09/09
thehigherstar
User Info.
Some corrections:

1. Toby the Fugitive is from Clarksville, TN. About 45 minutes northwest of Nashville.

2. Casey is nothing like Claudio. Claudio doesn't use an obnoxious amount of verbrato and Casey can't hit the notes that Claudio can. And in my personal opinion, his voice is not good (And I'm not alone in this opinion). Rumor has it the band had turned his mic down at shows because... its more fun to watch then haha.

3. Toby COULD have possibly gone places. But they are no longer a band. Keep your eyes open for new projects (Or recreated projects rather) from Franklin.

5. Rick does shred. That's not a correction, I just wanted to repeat you because he fucking rules.
07:44 PM on 06/27/11
Memphisonfire
User Info.
By the way, you don't have this album that you can send me, do you? I'm searching for a download of this album since it was released! No luck so far ... :(

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos