AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
O'Brother - The Death of Day Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.45
Musicianship 9.7
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.35
Creativity 9.9
Lasting Value 9.6
Reviewer Tilt 9.55
Average: 96%

O'Brother - The Death of Day

Reviewed by: Travis Parno (04/27/09)
O’BrotherThe Death of Day
Record Label: Favorite Gentlemen
Release Date: May 5, 2009

Swallow them down, it burns like fire/ Your words are the Devil’s machine

Someone has wronged O’Brother and I find myself thanking God it wasn’t me. With acerbic lyrics hung around its neck like millstones, The Death of Day is a lumbering behemoth, as dangerous and deep as it is pained and crippled. Its five tracks clock in at over 31 minutes of distorted rock, crunchy feedback, and hollered declarations. Clearly vocalist/guitarist Tanner Merrit is well versed in the Dustin Kensrue School of Emoting , but his gravely tones owe just as much to ‘90s grunge and alt rock. Only a voice such as his could stand atop the mile-high wall of sound generated by the band (Johnny Dang and Aaron Wamack on guitars, Anton Dang on bass, and Michael Martens on drums).

A slip of tongue/ These words fall like an avalanche

The conflict is obvious. Slipping into the cracks between the furious cries of self-doubt and rejection, we can see the glints of conciliation found in a higher power. Amid the cacophony of “Oh, Charitable Thief,” a nine and a half minute tour de force that sandwiches massive instrumentals and heavenly choirs between murmuring clouds of reverb, come plaintive lyrics: “Oh vessel of grace, whisper in my ear/ Some melodious sonnet of forgiveness/ Sweet seraphim won’t you sing me to peace.” It’s as beautiful as the earlier rage was frightening. Elsewhere, though, the lyrics slide a bit, letting up in their fierce passion. “Ascension” falters a bit, tripping through lines such as, “All in all we’re dust and bone/ So we’ll dig our graves before we’re old enough to lie in them.” Far more often than not, O’Brother delivers elaborate imagery, but it can only trickle into the musical rut, the aforementioned WALLOFSOUND. Although effective with the knob turned to 11, the album is at its most potent when it hovers around 3 or 4 (e.g., the first two and half minutes or so of “Ascension”).

Slip in this certain knot of peace/ I’m keeping silent, keeping silent/ Til it, in turn, keeps me

There’s no mistaking the genuine fervor behind The Death of Day. It’s impossible to ignore. In the future, if O’Brother can slow down and coax a little more beauty out from behind the flood of distortion, they may create the next great emo-rock album. For now, we’ve simply got to brace ourselves and survive The Death of Day.

Track List1. Providence
2. The Great Release*
3. Ascension
4. Division of Man
5. Oh, Charitable Thief*

*- recommended tracks

Give it a try if you like…Thrice; The Receiving End of Sirens; Finch

Hear it on the internetzOfficial Myspace | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
03:23 PM on 04/27/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
One of your most well-written reviews by far. Seriously genius stuff. I am in awe.
07:53 AM on 04/28/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Brilliant band. Enjoyable review. Well written.
08:10 AM on 04/28/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Sounds pretty good. I'll have to check it out
11:40 AM on 04/28/09
updownleftright
grant.
User Info.
I love this EP but their live show is truly where they shine best. CD release May 8th @ Drunkin Unicorn, seriously don't miss it.
11:54 AM on 04/28/09
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
Been a fan of them since In Comparison of Me..., definitely stoked to check this record out. Great review
12:52 PM on 04/28/09
dredgman06
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
While this is a decent review I can't condone the use of "emo/rock" word usage. This is instrumental rock at it's best. I wouldn't compare them to Thrice or Finch at all either. Think Colour Revolt and Explosions in the Sky having glorious sex and having a beautiful baby boy. This is a band that truly shines instrumentally and captures a feeling of urgency unlike any other.
02:10 PM on 04/28/09
blebbio
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So excited for this.
03:26 PM on 04/28/09
danielbressette
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't believe i actually registered on here. But i digress! O'brother is one of the most sincere and original bands out there right now. Support them! Come to the record release in may!
03:45 PM on 04/28/09
bringyourisaac
User Info.
This is instrumental rock at it's best. I wouldn't compare them to Thrice or Finch at all either. Think Colour Revolt and Explosions in the Sky having glorious sex and having a beautiful baby boy. This is a band that truly shines instrumentally and captures a feeling of urgency unlike any other.

on point.

it's kind of like if you ever wondered what bands like EITS or This Will Destroy You would sound like with some vocals thrown in the mix. Definitely a good live band as well. If they are in your area, go see them.
04:26 PM on 04/28/09
contentloser
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
such a great live band
06:49 PM on 04/28/09
noahsarksandcar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
amazing band, amazing album, amazing review.

O'Brother is an experience, something bands with much more fame could learn a thing or two about.

Edit: cannot say i agree with RIYL
02:23 PM on 04/29/09
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
amazing band, amazing album, amazing review.

O'Brother is an experience, something bands with much more fame could learn a thing or two about.

Edit: cannot say i agree with RIYL
haha yeah, I do not agree with that at all.
09:47 AM on 05/02/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Great review. Cool band. Weird RIYL though.
01:58 PM on 05/02/09
noahsarksandcar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
O'brother is one of the most sincere and original bands out there right now. Support them! Come to the record release in may!
Could not agree more,
May 8th Atlanta-Drunken Unicorn.
Everyone in the area - make the plans, you will never regret it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests