AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Monument Monument - Sleep Well When You Get There Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7
Production 9.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Average: 77%

Monument Monument - Sleep Well When You Get There

Reviewed by: jaywarden1 (05/03/09)
Monument MonumentSleep Well When You Get There
Record Label: None
Released: July 25, 2008

Monument Monument is a four-piece indie/rock/pop act out of Detroit, Michigan, and in mid-2008 they put out a 6 track EP for free download via their Myspace entitled Sleep Well When You Get There. The band’s sound is a mix of indie-pop and melodic rock, employing a similar style to the likes of Copeland and Mae. The vocalist has a very soft tone and utilizes a wide range from soothing lows to soaring highs, complimented by plenty of catchy harmonies and backups. The songs are mostly guitar-driven, but there is also a strong piano presence throughout the EP which provides extra depth and helps their sound fill out with plenty of intertwining melodies.

The opening track, “To Save You,” is very reminiscent of Copeland, featuring a wide array of melodic harmonies and backups. It employs that kind of indie-rock style that’s soft, yet at the same time, you’ll find your head rocking, and the bridge features a choirlike section which helps finish the track in a powerful fashion. “This Can’t Be Love” follows up with a more morose tone, and the intertwining piano and guitar melodies make for some really beautiful melodic indie rock. The piano and guitars jamming in perfect harmony over a hi-hat led groovy drumbeat had me really thinking of the Reign of Kindo, in that all the different instruments’ melodies and patterns play extremely well off each other. “You Can’t Get Any Further Away Before You Start Coming Back” starts off with the piano taking the lead, and I guarantee after one listen the vocal melodies and harmonies will be playing over and over in your mind for days. “Make This Mistake” is another piano led track that jams at a slightly reduced tempo, and features the classic band-cuts-out-to-acoustic-chorus-only-to-break-out-in-a-last-huge-chorus to finish off the track. Though definitely overused in popular music today, this approach doesn’t hinder the track and helps it finish strongly. The title track of the album, “Sleep Well When You Get There”, makes use of some echo on the guitars and some soft synth keys to give it a very atmospheric sound, and again you will NOT be able to get the chorus out of your head. “I Won’t Be Careful” finishes up the album at a slower pace, and some slow building gang vocals helps the track gain momentum and makes for a very strong finishing track to this extremely solid EP.

One thing I can’t stress enough about this release is the instrumentation is extremely beautiful and melodic, with all the musicians playing exceptionally well off each other. The songwriting and composition is top notch, making use of the traditional verse chorus song structures, yet it’s clear that MM don’t just make a chorus and verse then string a bunch together to haphazardly make a “song” (as most bands on the radio do these days). The songs actually flow and every note has been carefully placed for maximum melody. On top of this awesome instrumentation, the vocal delivery is near perfection, utilizing a wide range of highs and lows and melodic patterns that mix up flawlessly with the music. It is an absolute crime that a release of this caliber is A) not backed by a label and B) can be found on their website for free. To offset this injustice make sure you download this release, tell your friends to download it, and make sure you see Monument Monument when they roll into your town or city – you won’t be disappointed.

Recommended If You Like Copeland, Mae, Number One Fan, As Tall as Lions, The Reign of Kindo, This Day and Age

http://www.myspace.com/monumentmonument

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
10:00 PM on 05/06/09
sweetforever
User Info.
I love this EP
10:52 PM on 05/06/09
AdmissionRegret
Fightin' Round The World
User Info.
Such a good ep and such an underated band.
05:48 PM on 05/07/09
ctigers92
I always could count on futures
User Info.
I honestly think it deserved higher. Really good band.
12:37 PM on 05/12/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
I had heard from multiple people that these guys had broken up.

Good review, though.
08:39 PM on 05/18/09
Zain
User Info.
Sounds pretty good! You can get the download free as advertised on their myspace here http://www.monumentmonument.com/downloads/
09:37 PM on 05/21/09
boymeetsworld
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
actually they're working on a new record right now!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests