AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Blessed By a Broken Heart - Pedal to the Metal Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 3.5
Production 6.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.06
Musicianship 6.56
Lyrics 5.63
Production 6.31
Creativity 6.06
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.56
Average: 60%

Blessed By a Broken Heart - Pedal to the Metal

Reviewed by: more heart (05/08/09)
Blessed By a Broken Heart - Pedal to the Metal
Record Label: Century Media Records
Release Date: September 2, 2008

It would be hard not to notice the resurgence of 80s culture today. Everything from the fads to the fashion and even the music have made somewhat of a comeback. Bands like Cobra Starship and Mercy Mercedes have done their part in bringing back 80s pop, so it was only a matter of time before some band would be bold enough to bring back the genre that easily dominated the 80s musical landscape: hair metal. With their second full-length, and first for Century Media, Blessed By a Broken Heart are looking to bring back the partying attitude of the decade that was the 1980s.

If Blessed By a Broken Heart were looking to capture the entire spirit of the 80s metal and put it on Pedal to the Metal, they've certainly succeeded. It's cheesy, dirty, and fun - exactly what the band was most likely going for. This record is certainly a far cry from their debut, All's Fair in Love and War, a generic yet, straight forward metalcore release. When everything is taken in to consideration, I would have figured there was no way for this to work. While Pedal to the Metal is by no means a great, or even good record, it's a fairly decent release that is fun, which is exactly what Pedal to the Metal is all about. Easily one of the catchier tracks to be found is "Move Your Body" where vocalist Tony Gambino sings that he wants you to, you guessed it, "move your body." It's also on this track where Blessed By a Broken Heart show what they plan to do, and that is to rock your town.

"Move Your Body" shows the biggest problem with Pedal to the Metal - the lyrics. "Show Me What You Got" is also another appropriately titled (see a reoccurring pattern yet?) that also falls victim to cheesy lyrics. Despite their poor lyrics, Blessed By a Broken Heart still find a way to make it work somewhat, even if it doesn't look that way on paper. Easily the best feature are the guitar solos from Shred Sean. The record is just one big showcase for his "shredding" skills. In addition to the aforementioned songs, "She-Wolf" and "Doing It" (which has some awesomely cheesy keyboards) show off his impressive guitar work.

While the guitar solos certainly help, this record ultimately falls flat a bit due to the songs. Pedal to the Metal starts off strong with "She-Wolf" and on through "Move Your Body." After those though, the record really becomes hit or miss. "Doing It" and "Don't Stop" are fairly enjoyable tracks but much of what's left in the latter half doesn't live up to the expectations set forth by the first few tracks. Apart from the overall enjoyment factor being low for most of the songs, some of the songs just become unbearably cheesy, making Pedal to the Metal a sometimes frustrating listen.

Much like I found the latter half of Pedal to the Metal to be hit or miss, most listeners will find that idea expresses their feelings on the entire record. Some will find it as a cheesy mish-mash of genres, while others will find it appealing and fun. To be honest, neither opinion is far off.

Recommended If You LikeCobra Starship; Twisted Sister; Motley Crue; guitar solos; Whitesnake; Handshakes and Highfives; the 1980s in general

Check out Blessed By A Broken Heart on MySpace.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
11:32 PM on 05/20/09
FaceLixeMurder
Grand Theft Auto
User Info.
This band is definitely a fun band
02:49 PM on 05/21/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
This band is definitely a terrible band
03:57 PM on 05/21/09
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
This band is definitely a terrible band
Definitely bad but kind of fun to listen to.
06:31 PM on 05/21/09
RejoiceMySoul
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, this band sounds pretty shitty lol. Good review.
06:37 PM on 05/21/09
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
Wow, this band sounds pretty shitty lol. Good review.
Thanks. I mean, it's fun, but it's nothing more than that.
06:39 PM on 05/21/09
RejoiceMySoul
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks. I mean, it's fun, but it's nothing more than that.
Yeah, sounds it.
11:14 AM on 05/23/09
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
this band is awesome...cant take them seriously but still a freakin good time
03:07 PM on 05/23/09
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Uhhhh yeah. I pre-ordered this CD when it came out a LONG time ago.
08:51 PM on 05/23/09
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Haha I guess you have to be into this to really like it.

This was my favorite CD last year and they're still one of the best bands I've seen live.
12:14 PM on 01/22/10
BenZerman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes, this band does have some of the cheesiest lyrics I have ever heard before, but it's hard to say they are a "bad" band when musically they are one of thee best bands out there today. The big bands in the scene today are ADTR and TDWP. neither band comes even close to being as good as BBABH musically.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS