Password

08:25 PM on 11/14/12 
User Info.
aiNsorrow
Moron Abuser
No Avatar Selected
QueeN CiTy
Male - 22 Years Old
Nope, just went to your profile and clicked on latest posts. Took all of 15 seconds.

Do you want a medal or some shit
08:35 PM on 11/14/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Sit on Santa's lap
Connecticut
Male
Do you want a medal or some shit

I want your respect.
09:04 PM on 11/14/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
11:15 PM on 11/14/12 
User Info.
Cereal_Killer
Lucky 7s
Nu Yawk Shitty
Male
would be ironic if one day centuries from now different groups of atheists fought and killed each other over the correct way to disprove god (because as science continues to make new discoveries there will soon be a few to choose from) and the still blindly ignorantly religious people around the world watched in disbelief and extreme judgement.

Just a thought.
12:26 AM on 11/15/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Just a free ride and a big scam
Male - 28 Years Old
would be ironic if one day centuries from now different groups of atheists fought and killed each other over the correct way to disprove god (because as science continues to make new discoveries there will soon be a few to choose from) and the still blindly ignorantly religious people around the world watched in disbelief and extreme judgement.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I saw that episode of South Park. Actually makes a really good point.
06:33 AM on 11/15/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
Related:

12:25 PM on 11/15/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
On our bellies!!
04:10 PM on 11/15/12 
User Info.
Cereal_Killer
Lucky 7s
Nu Yawk Shitty
Male
great episode.
09:08 AM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 27 Years Old
I just finished reading Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama. He made some surprising and interesting statements in it--not because they are particularly new or original, but because they come from someone in his position.

Originally Posted by Tenzin Gyatso
[A]ny religion-based answer to the problem of our neglect of inner values can never be universal, and so will be inadequate. What we need today is an approach to ethics which makes no recourse to religion and can be equally acceptable to those with faith and those without: a secular ethics.

When it comes to obtaining certain, direct results, it is clear that prayer cannot match the achievements of, for instance, modern science. When I was ill some years ago, it was certainly comforting to know that people were praying for me, but it was, I must admit, still more comforting to know that the hospital where I was being treated had the very latest medical equipment to deal with my condition!

Fortunately, there is now a reasonably substantial body of evidence in evolutionary biology, neuroscience, and other fields suggesting that, even from the most rigorous scientific perspective, unselfishness and concern for others are not only in our own interests but also, in a sense, innate to our biological nature. Such evidence, when combined with reflection on our personal experiences and coupled with simple common sense, can, I believe, offer a strong case for cultivating basic human values that does not rely on religious principles or faith. And this I welcome.

Clearly there are people who believe, with complete sincerity, that separating ethics from religion is a great mistake in itself, and indeed is a source of many of the social and moral problems of modern society--the breakdown of families, growing numbers of abortions, sexual promiscuity, alcoholism, drug addiction, and so on. For them, these problems largely result from people having lost the basis for developing inner values that religion alone can provide. For those whose religious belief is so closely tied to ethical practice, it is hard to conceive of one without the other. For those who believe that truth requires God, God alone can make ethics binding. Without God as the guarantor, they suggest, there is at best only relative truth, so that what is true for one person may not be true for another. And in this situation there is no basis for distinguishing right from wrong, for evaluating good and bad, or for restraining selfish and destructive impulses and cultivating inner values.

While I fully respect this point of view, it is not one I share. I do not agree that ethics requires grounding in religious concepts or faith. Instead, I firmly believe that ethics can emerge simply as a natural and rational response to our very humanity and our common human condition.

I am not among those who think that humans will soon be ready to dispense with religion altogether. On the contrary, in my view, faith is a force for good and cam be tremendously beneficial. In offering an understanding of human life which transcends our temporary physical existence, religion gives hope and strength to those facing adversity . . . For all its benefits, however--in bringing people together, giving guidance and solace, and offering a vision of the good life which people can strive to emulate--I do not think religion is indispensable to the spiritual life.
03:53 PM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
04:09 PM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
FuckT41182
Slovakia
Male - 21 Years Old
Love this ! The ending is brilliant, SO CHEER UP !!! :D
04:12 PM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
People have no idea how much worse the world would be without faith.
04:35 PM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
People have no idea how much worse the world would be without faith.

As an abstract concept of anything? Or in a specific religious concept?

As an abstract concept I say yes, as a religious concept as a coping mechanism, yes. As a tool for personal monetary gain or power, as a tool for xenophobia, hatred, or ignorance, I say no.
06:28 PM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
FuckT41182
Slovakia
Male - 21 Years Old

As an abstract concept I say yes, as a religious concept as a coping mechanism, yes. As a tool for personal monetary gain or power, as a tool for xenophobia, hatred, or ignorance, I say no.
A powerful and truthful answer.
06:04 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old

If there weren't any religions or beliefs then the world would be complete chaos, it wouldn't be peaceful like john lennon says. The atheists I know have no where as near as much morals as compared to the religious people I know, plus a little less than half of them se everything has trivial. So a world where people view everything as trivial and fewer morals to go by, the world would be a wreck. Sure bad people try to lean on their religion/faith when they do something bad to try to make what they did sound legitimate, but does that mean they're actually religious or have faith? No. I would hate to be in a world where no one had any beliefs or faith in a higher being.

Just look at all of the civilized cities from the past, they all had a belief system or faith in a higher being(s). Take that away, the world would just be a survival of the fittest.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos