Pennsylvania
Male
lol
01:36 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 25 Years Old
oh boy "human rights" what nonsensical liberal bullshit will this thread trot out next

me and Foucault chilling in the corner thinking you're all ridiculous
01:38 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
good to see you haven't changed, guy!
02:16 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
You're not a teammate on my team
Male - 28 Years Old
It was Derrida before... I wonder who it will be 6 months from now.
02:21 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
Chicago
Male - 26 Years Old
"Ugh, you guys are so lame. I've skimmed the Wiki page for [insert famous philosopher] and [insert random opinion that apparently doesn't have to be backed up or argued after name-dropping that famous philosopher]."
02:40 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
I think it's funny when people try to state everything in science as a fact hah
02:44 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
Chicago
Male - 26 Years Old

It's always cringeworthy when people say shit like this.
02:52 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
It's always cringeworthy when people say shit like this.

I know, right.
03:25 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
What's up Hot Dog?
Connecticut
Male
Science is like a blabber mouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't wanna know. Important things!
03:49 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
Science is like a blabber mouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't wanna know. Important things!

That too, some things need to remain a mystery.
10:49 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 25 Years Old
It was Derrida before... I wonder who it will be 6 months from now.

Heaven forfend I apply what I read to how I think. I'll stop doing that.

"Ugh, you guys are so lame. I've skimmed the Wiki page for [insert famous philosopher] and [insert random opinion that apparently doesn't have to be backed up or argued after name-dropping that famous philosopher]."

OK allow me to make the same statement without mentioning Foucault: "lol human rights is bullshit y'all are full of shit." I modified it a bit but the basic point remains the same, namely, that the discourse of human rights is stupid and counterproductive. But cool story with being an anti-intellectual.
11:03 PM on 08/10/12 
User Info.
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
Heaven forfend I apply what I read to how I think. I'll stop doing that.

OK allow me to make the same statement without mentioning Foucault: "lol human rights is bullshit y'all are full of shit." I modified it a bit but the basic point remains the same, namely, that the discourse of human rights is stupid and counterproductive. But cool story with being an anti-intellectual.
Explaining the hows and the whys takes a while. Like a few hundred pages while. It's easier to just reference the philosopher whose works most clearly argue against blank topic. So citing Foucault for liberal humanism makes sense to me - though it might be better if you directed them to a specific book. (Most of Foucault's works deal with liberal humanism and its flaws at some point so I understand why you didn't actually direct anyone to a specific book in this instance. Plus, people who believe in liberal humanism aren't usually swayed from that belief because they have no desire to be swayed from it so it's a little bit of a waste of time)
04:21 AM on 08/11/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 26 Years Old

Scientific theories are never fact. They are forever tentative, which accounts for how our scientific knowledge can grow and improve. They are only more or less well-corroborated, but it's still reasonable to have a more or less tentative belief in the best corroborated of them. It's also reasonable to reject theories or abandon entire research paradigms (however "scientific" they may or may not be) that have failed to give us any novel predictions and consistently explain away all these failures with ad hoc auxiliary hypotheses, eliminating both their utility and credibility.
01:15 AM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
TheFaceOfZach
Strokes the Furry Wall
Plymouth, Minnesota
Male - 21 Years Old
Scientific theories are never fact. They are forever tentative, which accounts for how our scientific knowledge can grow and improve. They are only more or less well-corroborated, but it's still reasonable to have a more or less tentative belief in the best corroborated of them. It's also reasonable to reject theories or abandon entire research paradigms (however "scientific" they may or may not be) that have failed to give us any novel predictions and consistently explain away all these failures with ad hoc auxiliary hypotheses, eliminating both their utility and credibility.

Scientific theories are factual in the sense they can be backed by evidence. And are made available to be tested. The reason theories exist is so they can be added to if other research shows slightly different results. After several tests though of consistency it's essentially a fact. For example while there is the law of gravity. Gravity is still a theory. Do you believe gravity doesn't exist because it's a theory? Theory doesn't mean hypothesis.
05:54 AM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 26 Years Old
Scientific theories are factual in the sense they can be backed by evidence. And are made available to be tested. The reason theories exist is so they can be added to if other research shows slightly different results. After several tests though of consistency it's essentially a fact. For example while there is the law of gravity. Gravity is still a theory. Do you believe gravity doesn't exist because it's a theory? Theory doesn't mean hypothesis.

Newton's theory of gravity was for a long time assumed to be "fact." Newton was said to basically have discovered and proven God's underlying formulas for the universe. But all "facts" are interpreted in the light of theory. Even anomalies, or problems with a theory or research paradigm, either must be explained in terms of that paradigm (which is usually what is assumed will eventually happen) or be provided explanation with a superseding or entirely independent paradigm or theory. The Newtonian paradigm couldn't account for the fact, among other things, of the perihelion of Mercury. This was known for a long time, but it was thought that Newton's research tradition would eventually account for it. Well, it didn't, but Einstein's theory did. Newton's theory, while powerful, leaves much unexplained. The existence of the phenomenon of what we call "gravity" doesn't mean that our explanation of that phenomenon, how it operates and how it influences and interacts with other phenomena, is entirely correct. Even general relativity has its problems. Maybe those problems can be explained within an Einsteinian framework, maybe they can't. Whatever the case, to say that any scientific theory is ever anything more than tentative is to ignore the history of science, as well as commit yourself to the logical impossibility of justifying a general empiric principle with a finite number of instantiations.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos