Password

Album Review

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca Album Cover

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Reviewed by
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
Release Date: June 9th, 2009
Record Label: Domino
I've been watching a lot of basketball lately. As I type, Game 2 of the Dallas-Denver series is whittling down its first few minutes, Atlanta having just fulfilled a widely prophesied loss against Cleveland at home. Other than tuning in to TNT with a Lunchable or egg sandwich within reach each night, this summer really hasn't brought any promise of a job, a vacation, or a large budget movie that is not a remake/sequel/reinterpretation. This isn't a pity party, though, as Dirty Projectors have livened things up enough. Bitte Orca is David Longstreth and company's new album, followup to the incredible Rise Above and easily one of the best albums I've heard in a long, long time.

The band's prior full-length The Getty Address, though good, was sparse, difficult, and a little unnerving with all of the Hollywoodish orchestral swoons. I put the unnotable song “Ponds and Puddles” on a mix CD for my girlfriend’s car, only to find a week later that she has a knee-jerk reaction whenever it comes on to reach for the skip button. So much for the integrity of my quasi-conceptual mixes I guess. With Bitte Orca, however, one would be hard-pressed to skip any of the songs. Attaining a more accessible sound without compromising uniqueness is a kind of progression in my book, and if this notion is shared by more than just myself then we have one of the year’s biggest follow-ups on the verge of release. Back-up singers (use the term loosely in this case) Amber Coffman and Angel Deradoorian are given more pasture to graze, more lilly pads from which to leap , more gazelles to maul – follow me on this, they are fucking animals when it comes to their contribution to this band and album. Never before have I heard such angular, serpentine, and all-around beautiful delivery; reference “Remade Horizon.” Though tempting sirens they may be, Longstreth isn’t without a spotlight because he coordinated this album after all, though his singing ability could have also stood on its own.

Opener “Cannibal Resource” introduces the unusually upbeat nature of the album with the band’s gorgeously jagged chorus of Amber & Angel backing David’s hopeful observations: “Look around at everyone/Everyone looks alive and waiting/The wind is up the stars are out/The sun is calm and the light is fading.” Single and long-ago-lauded as a prophecy for the album’s excellence, “Stillness is the Move” finds Amber Coffman manning the lead vocals with indelible, starry-eyed splendor. The song could very well be a cappella, but a lightly caffeinated guitar and subtle symbol work accompanies. The following song, “Two Doves”, is where Angel steps in where Amber stepped out, and I dare say with better results. Where “Stillness is the Move” is jittery and unpredictable at times, “Two Doves” is docile and wonderfully driven by swelling violins and woodsy acoustic guitar work. “Useful Chamber”, one of my personal favorites on the album, is an incredible composition: electronic waves swim around Longstreth’s voice like rays of sunshine on a man in the park, an interlude signifies Pandora’s Box beginning to creep open, and a loud chorus of “BITTE ORCA, ORCA BITTE/BITTE ORCA, ORCA BITTE” erupts into full-on orgasm. I absolutely support this song for use in a mix; your girlfriend will not be skipping it in favor of Casiotone’s “Toby, Take a Bow” anytime soon.

Besides a new Pynchon novel being released somewhere on the horizon, Inglorious Bastards still a ways away, and a rumored Sunny Day Real Estate tour – Bitte Orca is about the best piece of media this summer is offering. Dirty Projectors, before now, were a choice much like ordering a Sweetwater IPA – a decision you could only see through if you were in a particular mood, preferably an eccentric one. With this new album, however, as I am predicting with this new Pynchon novel, Dirty Projectors have opened up a bit more to their audience, their sound is more universal but as exclusive as with previous albums – essentially, no other band right now sounds like these guys. For all of you Drew Beringers out there, go ahead and add this to your bullet-point Album of the Year list. For the rest of you, keep and open mind for ‘09s future releases, but don’t expect to be as impressed as you will be with Bitte Orca.
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
11:11 PM on 05/14/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Fantastic review Scott. Really excited to pick this album up.
06:52 AM on 05/15/09
ddb43
User Info.
Nice review. You made me want to go straight to myspace to hear this...if it's there.
07:48 AM on 05/15/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
<3
10:38 AM on 05/15/09
ninthandash
ninthandash.com
User Info.
love these guys.
One of my favorite double entendres of all time :)
that and the Test Icicles.
11:33 AM on 05/15/09
thisisxxmypanic
User Info.
I'm excited to get home from teaching and listen to this... even though I have no idea what type of music it's even going to be...
06:07 PM on 05/15/09
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
I am in love with this album.
10:52 PM on 05/15/09
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
i know this is really lazy of me
but i really like the reccomened if you like feature
i only ever really wanna read a review if its similar to a shitty band
just a bif of feedback for you lol
11:43 PM on 05/15/09
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Thanks for your coherent feedback.
02:22 AM on 05/16/09
ArTkY_
oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
User Info.
Judging by your intelligent response, you won't like this.
06:43 PM on 05/16/09
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
im not sure if either of those were sarcastic? it seems most are on ap.net and you just really cant tell
07:01 PM on 05/16/09
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
Judging by your intelligent response, you won't like this.
i love their myspace stuff. why was my response an indication on whether or not id like it?
07:47 PM on 05/16/09
Lucid
User Info.
Thanks for talking shit about me, Scott!
08:03 PM on 05/17/09
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Thanks for talking shit about me, Scott!
Love you!
09:19 PM on 05/17/09
Blakebear
User Info.
Hold the phone.

A new Pynchon novel?!?!?!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles