AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Moving Mountains - Foreword Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5.13
Lyrics 4.88
Production 5
Creativity 5.13
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 50%
Inside AP.net

Moving Mountains - Foreword

Reviewed by: Pawan1993 (05/15/09)
Moving Mountains - Foreword
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 26, 2008

Imagine making an album that had easily broken into the top 20 of the end of year lists of 2007. Imagine trying to release a handful of tracks which show the ingenious work from your previous album, yet improving in almost every aspect of your game. Imagine doing all that without a label backing you up. Imagine being a part of Moving Mountains. Releasing a debut like Pneuma is every band's dream, but we have received many thrilling debuts in the past as well, and most of them have led to weak follow-ups. Those that have come out strong often have taken their time. Moving Mountains is showing us that they're not wasting any time at all. If EPs were an appetizer, then the follow-up to Pneuma could well and truly be the dish to cure the sophomore-slump illness in the industry.

The new EP begins it all in an epic manner. Opening an album or an EP with a 9-minute epic takes guts, but Moving Mountain fills this up with four jawdroppers. "Foreword," the opening title track, is all about creating a 9-minute wonder as the slow, atmospheric guitars pull you through until vocalists Gregory Dunn and Frank Graniero fill your ears with words of real wonder. This is the point where you remember the beauty of having two vocalists, expecially when both finally show a performance which matches the music and lyrics of a true genius. The slightly heavier "When One's Heart Is in One's Mouth" truly showcases the band's musical ability while vocalist Gregory Dunn belts out screams of "Wait, When all is lost."

The second half of the EP showcases the more experimental side of the band as "Armslength" shows the band can use the acoustic guitar as well as, if not better than any other band present today. But it is the strings in "Lights and Shapes" that really show evolution. In a time where lyrics are filled with stupidity rather than talent, Moving Mountains comes yet again to break boundaries with emotionally-filled lines such as "And all I ever wanted to feel was connection, and all I ever wanted to feel was redemption." The production throughout the entire EP isn't what kills the EP, but it's what makes it so epic.

Moving Mountains are set to release another modern-era defying album and Foreword is set to prove this. Musically the band has always shone and Gregory Dunn's vocals only add to their talent, but it isn't your resources that count, it is how you use them, and Moving Mountains use them as effectively as any band we adore here. If Moving Mountains had made you think "wow, can this get any better?" then as Blake Solomon had once said "Quite simply, there is nothing these guys canít do." They aren't the kings of post-rock just yet, but the way they are going, they might even give Sigur Ros a run for their money.

Recommended If You LikeThe Appleseed Cast, Sigur Ros, improvement from an already brilliant sound, post-rock

Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/movingmountainsmusic
Homesite - http://movingmountainsmusic.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
04:39 AM on 05/24/09
Pawan1993
Change isn't the same as progress
User Info.
BTW this is my first ever review. Any constructive criticism would be very well appreciated thank you.
08:30 AM on 05/24/09
syntax omitted
User Info.
decent review. amazing ep. but pneuma was better
03:48 PM on 05/24/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
This album is perfect. As far as review criticisms, you used "epic" a little too much in the opening of the second paragraph. In fact, it's said too much in general. Once should be enough.

And if you don't want to die from fan brutality, avoid saying that they could beat out Sigur Ros.

Overall, decent review.
12:34 AM on 05/25/09
Pawan1993
User Info.
Thanks guys. Yea I do agree that the album was better but I had a problem with the low sound of the vocals. Like you could hear more of the music than Gregory's voice. In the EP they fixed that problem but they got rid of the trumpet. I loved the trumpet but otherwise no complaints on the EP.Thanks again.
09:07 AM on 05/25/09
Tyler Vagyler
Tight Dick Playa
User Info.
I just skimmed through the review cause I'm in a hurry, so I don't have any criticism.

But this EP is absolutely amazing. I don't understand how these guys aren't huge yet.
01:03 PM on 05/25/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
this band is brilliant. good review, great release.
01:36 PM on 05/25/09
Vermont
User Info.
Eh, decent review, but who are you to decide what's "true genius?" Be careful with such extreme praise.
03:35 PM on 05/25/09
whalesandgravy
User Info.
idk mannnnn this band is just blahh to me....it's all the same
10:51 PM on 05/25/09
Pawan1993
User Info.
this band is brilliant. good review, great release.
Thanks for the compliment.
10:52 PM on 05/25/09
Pawan1993
User Info.
Eh, decent review, but who are you to decide what's "true genius?" Be careful with such extreme praise.
Yeah, I'll make sure I don't use such extreme praise much. Thanks anyway.
09:33 AM on 04/12/10
daveinreallife
your eyes go 1st
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is one of those releases i don't think i'll ever put down. as repeatative as the lyrics are, it helps keep the overall theme of the tracks together. amazingly put together. you can almost assume that they only wanted to realease the best group of tracks they could. i really enjoy this release cause of all the different ways your ears holes are made love to through out these each songs.
11:49 PM on 03/27/11
Topher Allan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is perfect. As far as review criticisms, you used "epic" a little too much in the opening of the second paragraph. In fact, it's said too much in general. Once should be enough.

And if you don't want to die from fan brutality, avoid saying that they could beat out Sigur Ros.

Overall, decent review.

The passion you felt when you listened to this album definitely bled through the words. However, that is NOT a bad trait of your review, In fact, showing excitement and enthusiasm of your opinion is what makes it believable and makes it human.

Because what is music again? oh yeah, It is an expression of self. Why shouldn't writing be just as expressive music.... wait.... yes it is.
11:52 PM on 03/27/11
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
The passion you felt when you listened to this album definitely bled through the words. However, that is NOT a bad trait of your review, In fact, showing excitement and enthusiasm of your opinion is what makes it believable and makes it human.

Because what is music again? oh yeah, It is an expression of self. Why shouldn't writing be just as expressive music.... wait.... yes it is.
There is a difference between over-enthusiasm and a realistic portrayal of feeling. But I appreciate your smart ass jabs to my constructive criticism.
01:25 AM on 03/28/11
Topher Allan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There is a difference between over-enthusiasm and a realistic portrayal of feeling. But I appreciate your smart ass jabs to my constructive criticism.

Sorry for the jabs, they weren't necessary.

I gave it some thought and realized you were only offering your thoughts, I will say, I do think it was a better than decent review. Based on that it seemed like Pawan 1993 was as excited as me the first time I listened to all Moving Mountains.

:)
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums