Password

Album Review

Karate High School - Invaders Album Cover

Karate High School - Invaders

Reviewed by
Karate High School - Invaders
Release Date: May 19th, 2009
Record Label: Eyeball Records
This review is a user submitted review from MusicTalks. You can see all of MusicTalks's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
11:40 PM on 06/04/09
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
I think his voice is a plus simply because it's distinguishable from the thousands of other pop-punk singers still trying to sound like Patrick Strump or Mike Herrera. It's energetic and endearing, much like the music these guys consistently put out.Great review nonetheless.
09:42 AM on 06/06/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The last line is harsh.
10:01 AM on 06/06/09
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
I disagree with your remarks on his voice. Did you stick around to the end of the record for "Dear You It's Me"?
I don't know about you, but I've heard a lot this year, and this particular vocal performance really sticks out to me. He sings with a lot more earnesty ("You're Not Fooling Anyone..." as well) than any other pop punk vocalist I can vouch for right now.
10:18 AM on 06/06/09
Heroin Robot
User Info.
his vocals are defeinitely not the weakest
10:42 AM on 06/06/09
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
70% is extremely generous for this crap.
12:10 PM on 06/06/09
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
I liked the album. Your review was okay, but you got a bit overly harsh there at the end. I mean, giving it a pretty good score, and only having one real issue with the record, which is vocal delivery in some spots, I thought you had enjoyed the record, but then you essentially say you'll never listen to it again, as if it's garbage.
10:18 AM on 06/08/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
I liked the album. Your review was okay, but you got a bit overly harsh there at the end. I mean, giving it a pretty good score, and only having one real issue with the record, which is vocal delivery in some spots, I thought you had enjoyed the record, but then you essentially say you'll never listen to it again, as if it's garbage.

I disagree with your remarks on his voice. Did you stick around to the end of the record for "Dear You It's Me"?
I don't know about you, but I've heard a lot this year, and this particular vocal performance really sticks out to me. He sings with a lot more earnesty ("You're Not Fooling Anyone..." as well) than any other pop punk vocalist I can vouch for right now.

I think his voice is a plus simply because it's distinguishable from the thousands of other pop-punk singers still trying to sound like Patrick Strump or Mike Herrera. It's energetic and endearing, much like the music these guys consistently put out.Great review nonetheless.

For me, the biggest draw on an album are beats, hooks and vocals. Sure, everyone wants these things, but for me, an album just isn't an album without these things. I am more of a pop music fan, and my musical taste definitely leans that way. For me, his vocals were just not good enough. I listened to this album over and over, so I heard every lyric and every note, but the places where they were good were significantly outweighed by the parts where it was completely shaky. Now, sure, his voice is different and it stands out, but for me, it stands out in a negative way. As I said, there were parts where I enjoyed it AND I didn't mean to give the impression that I liked it, but I'll never listen to it. An amended review was sent to AP, but it wasn't posted, so I'll have to just edit this one. In the end tho, I definitely lean more towards pop/punk and this album had questionable vocals and more of a punk sound. "Punk Rock Uniform" was amazingly catchy and I did enjoy that one immensely. I can see why people would enjoy this record, but it wasn't for me. Take a look at my reviews and you'll see why.
11:27 AM on 06/09/09
MusicTalks
@JasDunham
User Info.
On a side note: Someone look at Dropout Year's album art for The Way We Play (one of my reviews) and look at Karate High School's AP.net profile. What is up with the skeeball machines?
02:29 PM on 06/16/09
HometownHero
User Info.
I really enjoy this record
08:27 PM on 04/14/13
ahriik
User Info.
I enjoyed this album, although not as much as KHS's previous releases. It almost felt as if KHS was trying to appeal to a wider audience by simplifying lyrics and such, and making a more "poppy" sound. It also lacked some of the harder tracks I grew to like from their previous releases.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos