AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Set On Display - You In Disguise EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.5
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 6
Production 5.75
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.75
Final Verdict: 57%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 4.25
Production 3.75
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 3.25
Reviewer Tilt 4
Average: 43%

Set On Display - You In Disguise EP

Reviewed by: Undue Noise (05/28/09)
Set On Display - You In Disguise EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 31, 2009

Who?

Set On Display are a New Jersey hardcore quintet, offering up fast paced, dynamic songs by the bucketful. Here to fill that part of your soul that missed old Dance Gavin Dance, when they were still good, with dual vocals of low growling and tuneful singing, backed up by energetic drums and songs laden with guitar.

How Is It?

While it's very hard to be original in the current music climate, where originality is not treasured as it should be, Set On Display manage to mark their own stamp on this EP, giving a fast paced and heavy set of songs. Although some are forgettable, this EP provides a small amount of joy in the gigantic breakdowns and harmonized vocals that they manage to pull off very successfully. While definitely not everyone's cup of tea, if you're one of the few people whose favorite bands are Alesana and Dance Gavin Dance, this may just be your favorite new band.

Recommended If You LikeAlesana, Dance Gavin Dance, A Static Lullaby

www.myspace.com/setondisplaymusic

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:15 AM on 05/30/09
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
Great review, Liv! I'm not a really big fan of this genre of music but your reviews are always really informative and well written and this is no exception.
07:24 PM on 05/30/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Lord this is terrible. I wouln't call this hardcore at all, more like screamo(if it was more like DGD, I'd say post-hardcore). Is Mess screaming on this becasue I honestly can't tell the difference.
08:42 PM on 06/05/09
musicman123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Those guys are definately very talented and original musicians. They could be big if they made their songs a little more catchy and shorter. I will be continuing to listen to them and wish big things for them.
05:54 AM on 06/09/09
Undue Noise
RETIRED
User Info.
Great review, Liv! I'm not a really big fan of this genre of music but your reviews are always really informative and well written and this is no exception.
Thank you! Honestly, I wasn't really a fan either. As it wasn't terrible, I didn't give it too harsh a rating, but it's generally not worth it haha, I just don't like being mean.
Lord this is terrible. I wouln't call this hardcore at all, more like screamo(if it was more like DGD, I'd say post-hardcore). Is Mess screaming on this becasue I honestly can't tell the difference.
Hmm, I didn't think it was as bad as you make out but it definitely wasn't memorable.
09:50 PM on 06/15/09
JoeForPresident
Vocals/Guitar - Modern Chemistry
User Info.
these guys are extremely talented. they make really original stuff especially for the genre they're in. they definitely have a lot of potential to go far
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests