AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Taking Back Sunday - New Again Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 9
Production 6.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.69
Lyrics 6
Production 6.63
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6.06
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Average: 63%
Inside AP.net

Taking Back Sunday - New Again

Reviewed by: flks511 (05/28/09)
Taking Back Sunday - New Again
Record Label: Warner Bros
Release Date: June 12, 2009

I definitely don't envy Taking Back Sunday. As the years have gone by, the band has desperately tried to recreate the magic of their debut album, Tell All Your Friends with two straight mediocre albums. By 2006, I had lost my respect for them completely. You're never going to do Tell All Your Friends again, Taking Back Sunday, move on!

Things got even worse when guitarist Fred Mascherino left the already unstable band to form his solo project, The Color Fred. I was sure that the band would recruit another guy they thought would be the next John Nolan, and I figured this was the end of the band. But later, somehow, I found out that they had chosen a progressive rocker named Matt Fazzi for their new guitarist and backup singer. Seriously? Is Taking Back Sunday actually doing something different with their music? I was interested. Soon after, I learned that the name of their next release was going to be New Again. New Again? What the hell does that mean? Are Taking Back Sunday actually going to try something different with their music? Oh, I need to hear this.

Finally, the album is streaming on their Myspace page. This is it. I think I'm ready to be New Again. I click play, and I am greeted with Matt Rubano's bass, and a soaring, (kind of) inspiring chorus. I can sense in Adam's voice that he's begging us to give the band one more chance. I trust him. Here comes track two, "Sink Into Me." The first thing I notice is the energy. Lazzara is singing with a swagger, and his lyrics have definitely improved. The song is pretty new territory for the band, and I'm extremely happy that they're moving on.

I can tell that Fazzi has had a lot to do with this transformation of the band. They seem more confident and enthusiastic now, and more importantly, they're progressing. "Lonely, Lonely" is a straightforward rock song, "Catholic Knees" is probably the heaviest thing the band has ever written, and "Carpathia" is just completely different from anything the band has done, and to be honest, it's a pretty good track. I especially like "Capital M-E," a song about the departure of Fred Mascherino. "All I ever did was look up to you/and if all I ever did was let you down/ain't nothing stopping me now," Lazzara sings overtop one of the strongest songs on the album. The album ends with "Everything Must Go." This is definately the most heartfelt and honest song the band has ever written; it's very emotional and the perfect way to finish the album.

The album is not perfect by any means. There are some obvious flaws, such as some clearly auto-tuned vocals in "Carpathia" and "Cut Me Up Jenny," and although Lazzara's lyrics have matured considerably, he still has that annoying habit of repeating the same lyric over and over again for the entire chorus. But I find these flaws easy to get past merely because Taking Back Sunday are no longer stuck in the past, and are finally new again.

This is where the problem is. This album is NOT Tell All Your Friends all over again, no matter how much you want it to be. They're a different band, and if you can't accept that, you're stuck in the past. I'm not telling you that the album is amazing and everyone should go buy it right away. I'm saying, forget that this was the band that released Tell All Your Friends and give this album a chance. It's worth it.

Recommended If You Likemoving on; a band reinventing themselves; putting the past behind

www.myspace.com/takingbacksunday

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
02:27 PM on 06/05/09
keviekaotic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My thoughts entirely. Great review.
09:17 AM on 06/08/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
People need to remember how special an album TAYF is/was.
09:18 AM on 06/08/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I've only read the first paragraph, and I completely disagree with you saying they have been "desperately" been trying to re-create their sound...

Okay I just read the rest, pretty good review I would rate it in the 80's personally. Shame for not mentioning "Swing" and "Summer, Man" those are awesome tracks right there.
09:37 AM on 06/08/09
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
Thank you. I don't love it, but I like it a lot more than AP does.
10:49 AM on 06/08/09
Metal Now
Talking about the second and third
User Info.
Good review.
11:24 AM on 06/08/09
Kill_the_radio
Don't wait too long to come home
User Info.
this band needed Fred.
12:23 PM on 06/08/09
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
I've only read the first paragraph, and I completely disagree with you saying they have been "desperately" been trying to re-create their sound...

Okay I just read the rest, pretty good review I would rate it in the 80's personally. Shame for not mentioning "Swing" and "Summer, Man" those are awesome tracks right there.

I'm with you man! I think the band hasn't been trying to recreate the magic but however been trying to escape it. I thought both WYWB & LN were alright with a lot of good tracks but an alright amount of lackluster songs.

but new again? Awesome, fun, and new is ways I'd describe the album. I love every song on the album minus "where my mouth is" and after listening to "sink into me" I feel that its just annoying how repetitive the song is. I don't by any means think this album is AMAZING, but I think its fresh and fun. Is there a lot of flaws? Of course! I wish there was more experimental stuff since fazzi is bursting at the seams with creativity! Speaking of which, comes my biggest complaint:

MORE

FAZZI

PLEASE!

I hope that new again sells well and tbs's next outing lets fazzi take more center stage.

Sidenote: I like how this site is trashing the album and people who love generic ass bands like all time low are saying this album is worse than music by... oh say... 30 seconds to mars. This album is getting sterling reviews from everywhere BUT here so tbs must be doing something right!
12:24 PM on 06/08/09
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.

Hah not really...
01:57 PM on 06/08/09
baseballfreak19
User Info.
THANK YOU. finally someone gives this album a good honest review.
05:04 PM on 06/08/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Fred is overrated, IMO.

And I love how the people who praise TAYF as the best TBS album go on to treat Fred as a God. Newsflash: He wasn't even a member of TBS when TAYF was release. John Nolan should get much more praise than he does.
08:20 PM on 06/09/09
DCFCutie
Synapse to Synapse
User Info.
Wow,
am I the only one who actually favours Cut Me Up Jenny & especially "Where My Mouth Is"?
Just wondering if anyone else enjoys these tracks also?
08:21 PM on 06/09/09
DCFCutie
Synapse to Synapse
User Info.
Fred is overrated, IMO.

And I love how the people who praise TAYF as the best TBS album go on to treat Fred as a God. Newsflash: He wasn't even a member of TBS when TAYF was release. John Nolan should get much more praise than he does.
I see more John praise then I see Fred praise.

I do enjoy Fred more though.
Nicest guy I've ever met,
and just find him to be more enjoyable as a musician.

But, many people will come to disagree with me.
05:44 PM on 06/10/09
jbertclassic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not sure if you can put Where You Want To Be in the same category as Louder Now as far as mediocrity goes. I thought WYWTB trounced Louder Now in terms of listenability and quality. And I could never give the lyrics a 9/10

Besides that, I agree with mostly everything. Nice review.
10:32 PM on 06/10/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
People need to remember how special an album TAYF is/was.
We remember, we're just not stuck in the past.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums