AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Enter Shikari - Common Dreads Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.63
Musicianship 6.96
Lyrics 6.57
Production 7.16
Creativity 7.06
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.74
Average: 68%
Inside AP.net

Enter Shikari - Common Dreads

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (05/31/09)
Enter ShikariCommon Dreads
Record Label: Ambush Reality
Release Date: June 15, 2009

It’s not enough to just sing about politics. Being “aware” doesn’t count for shit when Dude A is dragging Dude B from his pickup truck. At some point our scene heroes fixed their relationship problems and decided to turn their attention to the world at large. And despite pundits around the blogosphere pinpointing the demise of our lackluster culture as the fault of some asshole in tight jeans and diarrhea beats, it’s actually these “intelligent” individuals who are siphoning out all the fun. Rather than appearing “tuned in” (not a drug reference!), these visionaries sound the same as their broken-hearted forbearers. Whining is complaining is crying. I’ll give Enter Shikari and their schizophrenic frontman Rou Reynolds some credit though: there is more than just incessant whining on Common Dreads. When Reynolds roars over Armageddon-inspired breakdowns a mildly clichéd phrase like, “We are the grassroots resistance!,” well, I feel a tingle of inspiration. It’s as they say, sparks start fires.

Don’t misinterpret my overwhelming apathy. Rou Reynolds is never going to speak at a Uni’s commencement ceremony, but he doesn’t have to. Just because his band failed at inspiring me to join some “cause” doesn’t mean they’re misguided. Throwing socially motivated lyrics over grimy club beats might catch some drunk kid's ear and rouse him into action. My resistance stems from years of, well, resistance; forced cynicism grounded in the foolish notion that it would be some sort of original comedy bit. So don’t listen to me. Listen to Rou and ES. They care and, at the very least, that’s cool.

Sickening world views aside, let’s rejoice in one point: Common Dreads is much better than Take To The Skies. I had a feeling ES would figure themselves out, because the six good songs on their former release still weasel their way into my regular rotation. Opener “Solidarity” instantly mesmerizes with rapid-fire synths and explosive riffs. It’s the sort of thing you hope lasts throughout Common Dread’s 15-tracks, but it’s also near impossible to keep up this brutality without sacrificing the melody. That balancing battle is the bane of Enter Shikari’s existence. Cases in point: “The Jester” abandons all musicality for nothing in particular and “Gap In The Fence” is some sort of acoustic joke; no half-hearted techno climax can save that screeching mess. For each faulty song (there are 4 in total), there's a winner like “Juggernauts,” which works due to a downbeat climax playing as wonderful counterpart to the song’s later mixture of stuttering riffs and angry gang vocals.

Even the intermission tracks (“Havoc A,” “Havoc B” and "Halcyon") evade the boredom brought on by their predecessors by acting as acid-washed (that's a drug reference!) dance numbers instead of spots to breathe. Everything about Common Dreads is bigger and more realized. “Antwerpen” is catchy whilst still scraping our knees with pissed-off “La La Las”; “Hectic” moves forward on the legs of Reynolds’ much-improved electronics. It’s a dance party for the end of the world. And f**k me for typing that, but Common Dreads reminds me why loud music succeeds so readily. It’s an avenue to let it all go, and Common Dreads is an outlet of mammoth proportions.

Recommended If You Like: Sky Eats Airplane, I Have Clones, bank runs, electroEmery, gold rushes

Look through the keyholewww.myspace.com/entershikari

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 103.
09:31 PM on 05/31/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
LOOK AT ME, MUM! I'M DANCING AND I CAN'T STOP!

x
12:20 AM on 06/01/09
FaceLixeMurder
Grand Theft Auto
User Info.
no idea there was a new cd, wow
02:17 AM on 06/01/09
overdrive91
set if off and let it burn
User Info.
Love this CD. Good review.
03:10 AM on 06/01/09
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Liked the first release, might check this out as the first single's pretty good
05:49 AM on 06/01/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
This album is so much better than Take to the Skies.
06:36 AM on 06/01/09
John JD Dorian
walks amongst us, not one of us
User Info.
greek fail.
07:08 AM on 06/01/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Excellently written
07:13 AM on 06/01/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
i LOVED Take To The Skies, and i love the bands new socially conscious direction... cant wait to hear this album...
08:15 AM on 06/01/09
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
RIYLs are funny as usual, definitely got a kick out of bank runs. I love these guys, will listen.
08:24 AM on 06/01/09
Greg.Kushlan
Ghostbusting makes me feel good
User Info.
I liked their older stuff, but it got old after a couple of listens. This got old half way through the album.
08:24 AM on 06/01/09
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
no idea there was a new cd, wow

niether did i! and i saw nothing about this on the site so i posted it to the news a week ago... but my news never ever gets posted.

the cd is pretty good... i personally like take to the skies better.

although the we can breathe in space newer version was freaking epic
08:29 AM on 06/01/09
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
User Info.
Good review, very fair score.
08:52 AM on 06/01/09
AndrewIcex
Twitter: @AndrewIsler/@Anchors4eyes
User Info.
I can handle the review, it seems accurate for the band when thinking of the older stuff. They have their ups and downs with me.
08:52 AM on 06/01/09
xtbs7645x
User Info.
clicked this thinking it be low, as said above fair score.. love this album :)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests