AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pacifica - Transient Colors EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 6.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Pacifica - Transient Colors EP

Reviewed by: jaywarden1 (06/01/09)
PacificaTransient Colors EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 2nd, 2009

Originally hailing from the island of Hawaii, Pacifica is a five piece progressive rock/indie band who has recently relocated to Orange County, California, hoping to make waves with their first proper recording, the Transient Colors EP. The band lists some of their main influences as Thrice, Glassjaw and Circa Survive, and when listening to this EP, its not difficult to identify parts of the mix that correspond to these influences. That being said, Pacifica incorporate their influences effectively into their own sound, making for a good first effort inTransient Colors.

“10 Hours in a Forest” kicks off the EP with a real Circa Survive feel, with intertwining guitar melodies courtesy of Mata and Donato, and Diama’s vocals soaring over top of the mix. Diama employs a similar style to Kurt Travis (previously of Five Minute Ride and now of Dance Gavin Dance), though on top of this similarity, his vocals do have a unique sound to them. “Isolated Black Shell” begins with more ambient Circa-esque guitar work, but unfortunately, on this track, I felt that Diama falls a bit flat on some melodies, which surprised me because there are times on the EP where he hits some really high notes with great success. However just when I thought I had Pacifica's sound figured out, this second track erupts into a crushing breakdown around the 2:10 mark, with Diama throwing down some throat ripping screams. This was definitely a nice surprise and added an awesome heavy dynamic to the track. “The Flight of the Rabbit” features some creative vocal melodies from Diama, and between the interweaving guitar melodies, you can hear the bass shredding as well -- it always gets me stoked to have bass that’s A) actually audible and B) contributing to the mix and not just blindly following the guitars. This track culminates in a suspenseful build up with some gang singing and explodes into a good heavy rock out with Diama cleanly hitting some really high notes. The title track of the EP, “Transient Colors,” is perhaps the most solid on the EP instrumentally, which may be the reason they kept it an instrumental. It builds with a drum roll and some ambient guitar work, and ends with an awesome jam of high spiraling guitar melodies and more bass shredding. “Concatenation” has Diama’s vocals sounding a bit like Craig Owens (Chiodos), but not for long as the song explodes into a hardcore breakdown around 1:32, with Mata and Donato churning out some good heavy jams reminiscent of older Hopesfall. The final song on the EP, “Hello, I’m Alive,” is solid instrumentally, but again Diama’s vocals sounded a bit off to me at times. However, he does flawlessly execute some more gnarly screams towards the end of the track, which sound great over the ambient guitar work and make for an emphatic finish to this EP.

Transient Colors is a solid first effort from a band with massive potential. The songs are well composed with good transitions between mellow and heavy parts, utilizing a good mix of ambient and heavy guitar work. The bass shreds throughout the 6 tracks, and Diama, though sounding a bit off at times, employs some creative melodies, and the occasional screaming adds a much welcomed heavier dynamic to their sound. This EP is definitely worth checking out if you’re a fan of any of the above mentioned bands. Look for Pacifica to do big things with their next release. With a little growth, these boys could truly be the next big thing.

http://www.myspace.com/pacifica

Recommended If You Like Circa Survive, Chiodos, Thrice

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:14 AM on 06/12/09
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
ooo circa...
08:05 AM on 06/12/09
Dastly
The Squirreliest
User Info.
To me sounds like a heavier Circa Survive mixed with Fall of Troy(granted a lot less crazy).
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums