AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Bleeding Through - The Truth Album Cover

Bleeding Through - The Truth

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Bleeding Through - The Truth
Release Date: January 10, 2006
Record Label: Trustkill Records

Bleeding Through is trying to be the truth in metalcore. Sick of the genre becoming oversaturated, they’ve set out to make an album that was still metalcore, but incorporating more harmony, keys, and even a ballad. The Warped Tour and Ozzfest vets sold over 125.000 copies of their last album, 2003’s “This Is Love, This Is Murderous,” and are looking to top that with their newest Trustkill release, titled “The Truth.” The Orange County sextet – featuring vocalist Brandan Schieppati, bassist Ryan Wombacher, drummer Derek Youngsma, guitarists Brian Leppke and Scott Danough, and keyboardist Marta – have given us 12 tracks that are bound to make you spin-kick your parents, and, as you will find, the album shines in many areas, but also lacks a lot throughout, thus making this album somewhat inconsistent.

The album begins with Schieppati screaming, “I don’t give a fuck,” which kicks off the opening track, “For Love And Failing.” This track gets your heart pounding, with blistering drumming and crushing guitars, all blended in nicely with Schieppati unforgiving growl. “Confession” kicks your teeth out with meaty guitars, but the real gem in this song is Marta’s keys, which gives the song a little extra creepiness. “Love In Slow Motion” is another neck-breaker, which features almost an equal amount of screaming and singing, and the singing is done well in the chorus. On “Kill To Believe,” Marta’s keys once again give this track a sort of dark and deathly beauty to the singing parts of this song. “Dearly Demented,” featuring the vocals of Tiger Army’s Nick 13, is another track featuring good guitar work from Leppke and Danough. “Line In The Sand” is Bleeding Through’s attempt at a ballad, and while I enjoy the piano that’s featured throughout, this song just doesn’t do anything for me and comes off as being cheesy. Thankfully, that track is followed the sporadic “She’s Gone,” which brings back the metal. “Tragedy Of Empty Sheets” is another headbanger, while “Hollywood Prison” is all about speed and kicking you in the gut. “The Truth” closes out the album, and it is a 4-minute long instrumental that is pretty neat, but really doesn’t fit in well ending the album.

The truth about this album is that it is only a decent metalcore album. It has a few highs (For Love And Failing, She’s Gone, and Confession to name a few), some lows (especially their ballad, “Line In The Sand,” which falls on its face), and a lot of gray area. I was very impressed with Marta on keys. She is the MVP on this record and I really love her work on the keys throughout the album. In the end, many of the tracks on this album tend to blend together and it has only a little, if any, lasting power. If you love Trustkill Records and are a fan of this band, then you will enjoy this album and I recommend you pick it up. But if you are looking for the truth, you should pick up an album from Between The Buried and Me and Darkest Hour instead.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
02:07 PM on 01/19/06
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
you give it too much credit.
02:09 PM on 01/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Someone needs to explain all the *cores to me.

Emocore?
Hardcore?
Post-hardcore?
Metalcore?
Death metal?
Grind metal?

Am I the only one lost?
02:13 PM on 01/19/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by UncleRico!
Someone needs to explain all the *cores to me.

Emocore?
Hardcore?
Post-hardcore?
Metalcore?
Death metal?
Grind metal?

Am I the only one lost?

To tell you the truth, I have no fuckin clue, I just have heard BT referred to as "metalcore" so I went with it. :)
02:13 PM on 01/19/06
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Originally Posted by WakingTheMisery
you give it too much credit.

Meh, I like some of it, and I really like the keys.
02:16 PM on 01/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
To tell you the truth, I have no fuckin clue, I just have heard BT referred to as "metalcore" so I went with it. :)
Haha, thats why I never review any of this type of shit. I'm worried the scene goth kiddies would tear me apart.

"OMGZ that's not Metalcore!!!1! It's SkateFuckDeathAssTitsKillCore!!!!1 n00b!!!!!zg7ewgf 9egf 9g432"
02:17 PM on 01/19/06
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Haha, thats why I never review any of this type of shit. I'm worried the scene goth kiddies would tear me apart.

"OMGZ that's not Metalcore!!!1! It's SkateFuckDeathAssTitsKillCore!!!!1 n00b!!!!!zg7ewgf 9egf 9g432"

Hahaha, yeah, I just don't give a shit about genres for the most part.
02:19 PM on 01/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Hahaha, yeah, I just don't give a shit about genres for the most part.
So is MBR the next review?
02:21 PM on 01/19/06
Drew Beringer
User Info.
So is MBR the next review?

Actually, I'll probably review Action Action next week, and then MBR, and then Adair. That is the plan for now.
02:40 PM on 01/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Actually, I'll probably review Action Action next week, and then MBR, and then Adair. That is the plan for now.
Awesome...look forward to hearing what you have to say about em...
03:43 PM on 01/19/06
DarkShadow
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been lookin around for some reviews of this cd and i feel you did give way too much credit for the album. I found a review close to what i think it is here though everyones got an opinion! heehe
05:07 PM on 01/19/06
histrionics22
What were you Thinking?
User Info.

Hahaha its so true. Labeling is dangerous. Its like calling a band emo, then having some 23 year old elitist come on and point you to www.fourfa.com like its the be all end all on emo.
06:55 PM on 01/19/06
cc&seven
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album ended up being a dissappointment for me as well, but I was surprised how you said Marta's keys are the MVP of the album. They seem too far between for me in most songs, and on points when she does play while everyone else is ripping, she gets buried in the mix. Oh well, good honest review.
07:24 PM on 01/19/06
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Originally Posted by cc&seven
This album ended up being a dissappointment for me as well, but I was surprised how you said Marta's keys are the MVP of the album. They seem too far between for me in most songs, and on points when she does play while everyone else is ripping, she gets buried in the mix. Oh well, good honest review.

Haha, I can see that too, but I guess I just have an ear for keys, and her work on the album stood out the most to me.
09:41 PM on 01/19/06
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
nice call on btbam and darkest hour. they tear this band to shreds.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos