Password

Album Review

Watashi Wa - Eager Seas Album Cover

Watashi Wa - Eager Seas

Reviewed by
Watashi Wa – Eager Seas
Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: January 24, 2006

Watashi Wa may very well be your favorite band you choose to ignore. While I have never been a heavy listener of the Seth Roberts-driven SoCal foursome, Eager Seas has somewhat changed my perspective on who they are and who they might be in the future. Dedicated fans hoping for another The Love of Life, you won’t be disappointed. Eager Seas assumes a fraternal identity.

Since Lifehouse’s freshman release, No Name Face and Switchfoot’s The Beautiful Letdown, seldom bands have been able to replicate the compelling and passionate pop-rock fevers as Eager Seas does. With that, I add them to the list. With the ability to diverge from song to song, in and out of melodies, harmonies and tempos, album cohesiveness is rarely interrupted (as noticed with “Face” and “Free Ride”). But don’t convince yourself that Eager Seas is can stand the length of time. The replayability of this album draws weak and the more and more I paid attention to the album, the more and more I felt I was listening to another Switchfoot album.

As far as the tracklisting, my attention wasn’t fully caught until the second track (most usually I fall accustomed to loving the first track) and “Face” isn’t your standard love song. Rather, Seth points to the revisited brother-sister relationship and while the lyrics aren’t the strongest Seth’s voice is shows more promise on this track than any other Watashi Wa song. Next, being a sucker for the harmonica, “Courtyard” courts me into a melodic me into a leveled soft rock track that lathers the eardrums. This song is one of the most beautiful on Eager Seas. Although at points, Roberts’ voice doesn’t stay consistent, breaking the point at which production cannot cover up (early in “2:57”). Whether I’m a music snob or not, I tend to pay close attention to the chords being in unity with vocals—very meticulously—albeit “2:57” is a building and breaching ballad, supported by a powerful piano. Then we have “Sydney Tonight” which feels like the exact same song as “2:57”, besides guitars being more apparent.

If you didn’t catch the last album, “All Of Me”, fills another track on Eager Seas and will undoubtedly be on a) an episode of Laguna Beach, b) your sister’s teenage summer love anthem or c) you will fall madly in love with it, making it the first track on your girlfriend’s anniversary mixtape. I’m still at ends whether this song is good because it’s good or good because of the chocolaty lyrics, syrupy hooks and caramelized vocals—gun to head?—the latter and sweeter choice. But if Watashi Wa had any face to save on Eager Seas, “Father, Son” would be the track to point everyone to. It plays the yin to “All Of Me”s yang. With twang and country folk roots, a two-story vocal chorus and plenty of instrumental time to showcase (and clap along—if you like) suited for the best of fathers.

Despite a level of bland musicianship, Watashi Wa wrap a successful album up. Unfortunately, the lasting quality of Eager Seas is draped in a simple 45 minutes. While talent, in both instruments and vocals are presented well, the two do not mesh for something monumental. Rather, Eager Seas will be just another résumé spot for Seth Roberts.
This review is a user submitted review from Gabe Gross. You can see all of Gabe Gross's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
08:08 PM on 01/30/06
albatrossxivy
asdfg
User Info.
i give it a 75
it was a good release
but needed more slow tracks like
the old released tracks from eager seas
it should have been under the
assumed name EAGER SEAS
instead of watashi wa.

-jason
08:14 PM on 01/30/06
steve-0
i think youre an idiot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is like 2 separate EPs. Theres the slower, more melodic, more melancholic songs that are awesome. 10 years and Separating States is a fantastic song. Then there are a bunch of fast songs which seem so out of place. I dont know why they did that. The slower songs are so much better
08:21 PM on 01/30/06
albatrossxivy
asdfg
User Info.
Originally Posted by steve-0
This album is like 2 separate EPs. Theres the slower, more melodic, more melancholic songs that are awesome. 10 years and Separating States is a fantastic song. Then there are a bunch of fast songs which seem so out of place. I dont know why they did that. The slower songs are so much better

i agree
08:30 PM on 01/30/06
FstFtsVsFences
High Risk 401k? Fuck that.
User Info.
I really enjoy this album, although I've loved pretty much everything I've heard by Seth in either Watashi Wa or Eager Seas.
08:44 PM on 01/30/06
Loch_Doun
registered registered user
User Info.
i enjoy this cd
08:45 PM on 01/30/06
kittypants
lordsaveusfromourscene.co m
User Info.
i'd give it an 80. and i don't really consider this a watashi wa album..since seth had called it Eager Seas - People Like People for tooth and nail decided to market the album under a proven artist name.
08:57 PM on 01/30/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by kittypants
i'd give it an 80. and i don't really consider this a watashi wa album..since seth had called it Eager Seas - People Like People for tooth and nail decided to market the album under a proven artist name.

agreed.

it was more like... Seth Roberts and Some Other Guys - The Seth Roberts Show
09:06 PM on 01/30/06
satanisanerd
User Info.
I'd rate this album alot higher than what was given. This is a phenomonal album.
09:53 PM on 01/30/06
emaxspyxd
In the Navy, Biotch!
User Info.
Originally Posted by Gabe Gross
agreed.

it was more like... Seth Roberts and Some Other Guys - The Seth Roberts Show

Yeah for sure, those other guys being Yuri Ruley and Mike Herrera of MxPx... ;)

If you didn't know read your inset booklets. Mike and Yuri did alot of percussion, bass, and backup vocals on this cd. That of course makes me love it even more being that Mxpx is my favorite band.

I think the review should have been a lot higher, but then again, I am very easy on bands.
09:57 PM on 01/30/06
Aileen
Fatrick Plump no more
User Info.
Originally Posted by satanisanerd
I'd rate this album alot higher than what was given. This is a phenomonal album.
agreed. seth is an amazing talent.
10:07 PM on 01/30/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Aileen
agreed. seth is an amazing talent.

i agree he is talented but seriously...his voice is not original.

coughswitchfootcough
10:32 PM on 01/30/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Originally Posted by Gabe Gross
i agree he is talented but seriously...his voice is not original.

coughswitchfootcough

finally. i always wondered who he sounds identical to.
11:19 PM on 01/30/06
EveryNewDay
Then Is The New Now
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i respect your review, but i feel you were kind of harsh. the lyrics on this album are some of the best i've ever heard and the way seth paints the listener a picture with his words is quite impressive. as far as the instrumentation, i agree its nothing special, but it fits the songs well and does it's job better than you give credit for. lastly, seth may sound similar to jon foreman of switchfoot, but watashi wa/eager seas came out before switchfoot did and personally i think seth's voice is better.
11:36 PM on 01/30/06
opentheharbors
User Info.
switchfoot? wow. i really think that's an incorrect comparison. i find seth's voice to come across much more raw sounding, and definately in a different style of vocal arrangement. it makes me sad to read that people think his voice is unoriginal.

but as far as this album, i was put off at first by the more upbeat songs. even though i liked them alot, they seemed to break the flow of the album (at first). but now that i've given the album a good number of solid listen-throughs, i am much more on board with the faster songs and their placement (besides the unfortunate re-release of "all of me". great song, but does NOT fit on this album for so many reasons. why, t&n, why?). but as many have already pointed out, the slower songs are the highlights here. mister roberts shines as a wonderful and talented songwriter.

but in reply to the review proper up above, i think it's sort of unfair to compare this against the other watashi wa albums. it seems from everything i've read that seth & co. were really trying to break away from their established sound and try a new thing. a completely new band. i feel dirty even calling this album a watashi wa album, because i know that wasn't the intention of the creators. sigh. oh well. yet another notch in the belt of t&n's recent string of bad decisions (not aggressively pushing great acts like discover america and eager seas, yet bombarding us with dull and uninspiring stuff like sullivan and far-less). what used to be one of my favorite labels keeps screwing over their good artists and lifting up their bad.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos