AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Meg and Dia - Here, Here and Here Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 9.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.45
Musicianship 7.55
Lyrics 5.15
Production 7.8
Creativity 7.4
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.3
Average: 72%
Inside AP.net

Meg and Dia - Here, Here and Here

Reviewed by: Klatzke (06/15/09)
Meg and Dia - Here, Here and Here
Record Label: Warner Brothers Records
Release Date: April 21, 2009

For those that aren't familiar with Meg & Dia, they're a pop rock group fronted by Meg and Dia Frampton that began in 2003 with just the two of them, before expanding to a full band in 2004, with the addition of a bassist and drummer, and then later in 2005, a second guitarist. After a few years, two albums, and a number of lineup changes, we're faced with the current band; Dia Frampton continues to handle vocals, while Meg takes care of the rhythm guitar and backup vocals, Johnathan Snyder is on bass, Carlo Gimenez on lead guitar, and the oldest member besides the sisters, Nick Price behind the drum kit. Throughout their six year careers, the Frampton sisters (and drummer Nick Price) have released three albums. With 2005's Our Home Is Gone, Meg & Dia captured the attention of Warner Brother's imprint Doghouse records, and 2006's Something Real caught both the attention of the major label and a national audience, landing them spots on 2007's Warped Tour and attention from MTV among other radio outlets. With Something Real serving as their breakout album, the real question posed was where Meg & Dia would head from the advantageous point they'd found themselves in. Cheesily put, the band answered Here, Here and Here.

Being their third album, it's expected that Meg & Dia would have a pretty clear, distinct sound and that they'd head in that direction. I, like many, expected them to capitalize on the intimate, yet catchy, nature of Something Real. In some ways, the band did this, including songs such as the opening track, "Going Away," and "Are There Giants Too, In the Dance?" which opens with Dia belting out the lines "You best be quick, you've got to run! They're coming at you with their guns!" A catchy and subdued chorus, combined with the opening hook, make this easily one of the catchiest tracks they've ever released. While there are tracks that mirror the nature of Something Real, Here, Here and Here shows the sisters branching out in songwriting, lyrical concepts, and just about every facet of their sound. There's a little bit of everything on this album, such as the downbeat and dramatic "Inside My Head," the edgy "Black Wedding," the ballad-esque "Bored of Your Love" complete with an excellent duet between Dia and a male vocalist, and even "The Last Great Star In Hollywood," which actually sounds quite a bit like female brit-pop. The one thing that ties all of these tracks together is the completely marvelous nature of all of them.

Not only has the band mixed up the types of tracks they're playing, they pin each style down perfectly. It's obvious that they've progressed in their diversity and writing, but one of the most noticeable improvements comes in the obvious progression of the band members themselves. Dia Frampton has never sounded better on vocals, which can easily be seen in the duets of "Bored of Your Love." Her voice is stretched all over the place, from dramatic whispering to high sustained notes, her lovely timbre makes each of the tracks captivating. "Agree to Disagree" is my favorite example of her vocals, and her singing across the country-tinged background music is flawless. The following track, "Fighting For Nothing," is one of the most charged sounds on the album with her shouting "You better know how, to point out the lions... make sure you're not fighting for nothing, are you fighting for nothing?" Throughout each of the tracks, it cannot be denied that it's Dia that guides the music. Without her backup, however, she'd be at a sore disadvantage. Luckily for her, her sister Meg and Gimenez are more than capable on their guitars, with Gimenez's solos showing some real talent. Meg's addition as backup vocals is center as well and gives the vocal arrangements a bit of diversity.

The lyrical themes of Here, Here and Here deserve a definite mention, since the Frampton sisters have easily made the most intimate and heartfelt record of their careers. Dia herself authored a blog describing the writing process which, from reading, you can tell took a definite emotional toll that pervades every inch of this record. Even when it's upbeat and seemingly bubbly, you can see that the themes strike home for the authors. However, lines like: "You've got to learn to act like God. You rule the world to get the word. And if someone should fall behind, just let their suffering slip your mind" aren't the typical bubbly-pop lyrics you expect from most female artists. Also, while the lyrics of some songs may seem trite, the dynamics of those songs work perfectly, like the aforementioned "Bored of Your Love" which has the male vocalist proclaiming his love for Dia, while she forces him to face the realization that they're finished (before they both join in a beautiful crescendo at the end of the song). Another great example of the lyrics is in "Kiss You Goodnight" where Dia softly sings, "If all you take from this is courage, then I have no regrets," amid seemingly sad recollections ("I wanted to kiss you goodnight, I no longer can pretend you won't cave in and we'll be alright").

Meg & Dia's Here, Here and Here is easily, the pinnacle album of their careers to this point. Exploring much deeper, intimate, and personal territory in the girls' life, they guide you through their ups and downs through various types of songs. Whether it be the more subdued or more upbeat tracks, each of them crafts a part of this album that, as a whole, displays the potential in these girls far more than ever before. Anyone instantly jumping to the conclusion that this is just "girly pop" should drop that idea immediately; it may be a variation of pop music, but Meg & Dia's craft lies in both the catchy and intelligent. If you're a fan of Meg & Dia, or willing to approach it with an open mind, Here, Here and Here will not only impress you but engulf you in the aptitude this band has for crafting both intimate and accessible songs.

Recommended If You Like: 1997; Daphne Loves Derby; The Heyday; Paramore

Myspacehttp://www.myspace.com/meganddia

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
12:52 AM on 06/20/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Awesome job. You beat me to this review haha, The previous records did nothing for me and I went out on a limb and gave this one a shot and fell in love with it. One of my favorites this year. Solid all the way through.
02:48 AM on 06/20/09
fadedmemories
You'd be good for me
User Info.
Congratulations on making me want to hear this.
04:49 AM on 06/20/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
AMAZING review...
i really needto hear this, as Something Real is still an album i am not tired of
03:56 PM on 06/20/09
sandiee
:)
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you got the myspace link wrong.
other than that, good review!
06:46 AM on 06/21/09
Undue Noise
RETIRED
User Info.
I've honestly never given them a fair listen, but this makes me want to.
12:27 AM on 06/22/09
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
Good review... I need to give this a fair listen as well.
05:20 AM on 06/22/09
mushroom
I Knew Alfred J Prufrock
User Info.
A watered down Tegan and Sara for the paramore generation? Perhaps.
09:08 AM on 06/22/09
ihavechappedlip
Vulgar Display of Balls
User Info.
It looks like this reviewer got it right.
09:41 AM on 06/22/09
mushroom
I Knew Alfred J Prufrock
User Info.
It looks like this reviewer got it right.

A link to your own review, original.
08:39 PM on 06/23/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
A watered down Tegan and Sara for the paramore generation? Perhaps.
Perhaps
05:27 PM on 08/02/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Awesome job. You beat me to this review haha, The previous records did nothing for me and I went out on a limb and gave this one a shot and fell in love with it. One of my favorites this year. Solid all the way through.

Came to say pretty much the same thing..waited too long to actually listen to this because I wasn't thrilled with Something Real...decided randomly to give it a chance, and I absolutely love it. Definitely a spot reserved on my AOTY list for this.
12:20 PM on 10/31/09
CharlotteAnne
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
:( Maybe it's just me but I was annoyed with the album....I get that its different from Something Real (love love love that album)...IDK the whole folky feel wasn't for me. Although Bored Of Your Love was pretty legit..other than tht I wouldn't reccomend that album...more get a few select from iTunes..but again just me, I was dissapointed
09:24 PM on 12/25/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
weird bump, but totally the way I feel about this. Made it onto my EOTY list as well
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums