AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Fold, The

The Fold

Interviewed by
The FoldState your name and duties in the band.

Daniel, vocals and guitar.

What does your name come from?

Kyle Lewis (Showoff, Allister) was one of the original members, and he thought of the name. In the dictionary it means a group of people working together toward the same common goal. When the original line-up dissipated, I asked the guys if I could continue The Fold and keep the name because we had already paid $500 to make a stage banner.

How long has The Fold been together?

It was originally started in 2002 with all the guys from my old band, Showoff, minus the singer, I moved from drums in Showoff to vocals in The Fold. This exact lineup is about 1.5 years old.

Some of you guys have came from different bands, tell us a little bit about them.

Mark came from a band called Starstruck, Keith was in a band called Epsin 12, I came from Showoff, and Aaron was in a band from Louisiana called Hofias. Showoff, Epsin 12 and Starstruck were all Chicago based, and all lasted roughly 5 years. Showoff made two records for Maverick Records, but got dropped just before we were able to release the second. Mark Trombino had produced it, so it was a shame to see the recording go to waste. After some trouble with our line-up, 3 of us left to start The Fold in 2002.

How did you guys get hooked up with Tooth and Nail?

We had a real go-getter of a manager fairly early on into this line-up. He managed two Tooth and Nail bands, and it was a very natural push. The label heard demos in September '04, and loved them. We negotiated for a few months, and then signed in March '05.

I remember a post on ap.net about your new shuttle bus running on pure vegetable oil, what's up with that?

It's not for the lazy. Our drummer (probably the most fearless and ambitious person I know) heard about it from our friends in Me Without You, and submerged himself (no pun intended) in the knowledge on vegetable oil conversions. It was an investment, both time and money, but about 4 months later we found the right vehicle, bought it and had it converted to run on vegetable oil. It's cool because by not having to pay gas prices, we're able to take up a lot of opportunities that we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford (i.e. driving to California and back 7-15 times each year).

You did some fairly big tours in 2005, what was the highlight of the year for you?

I think the festivals were the coolest. Shows at normal venues are definitely where we spend most of our time, but it was something else to wake up in a tent and have to talk to people on your way to brush your teeth at the water pump. I think that's a cool way to REALLY get to know your crowd.

Will The Fold be focusing more on a predominantly Christian market, or will you be focusing on that, and mainstream?

Pffft, that's easy. They teach you how to answer this one when you sign to Tooth and Nail... just kidding. We just want to be who we are. We're Christian guys, and I think that comes across in what we choose to sing about. We're not ashamed of it, in fact it's the backbone of why we do this. We also don't want to overthink it; if an opportunity makes sense to us, we'll do it!

Tell us about the recording of your album, who produced it, how you feel about it etc.

We worked with two different producers. We wrote twice as many songs than we could ever put on one album, and actually recorded 18 of them in the studio. So, when it came time to pick the final track listing, there was gnashing of teeth. =) It turned out great though, we love the record. Zach Hodges is one amazing guy! J.R. McNeeley a close second.

What are some of your upcoming tour plans?

After our record release show/party (FEBRUARY 21ST, TOWER RECORDS IN SCHAUMBURG, IL... BE THERE!), we leave for a tour with Project 86, then we're out with Sherwood and Tokyo Rose. Then we head back to Chicago to start our tour with Emery and Anberlin. That gets us into late Spring, when we will no doubt be planning another tour around a string of Warped Tour dates. We definitely want to keep busy. Far too many bands waste their shot by not wanting to work hard at promoting their record. That's not The Fold.

Who would you say some of your musical influences are?

Tough to answer that one cold, but it's safe to say we all love the following bands: Far, Failure, Jimmy Eat World, Green Day, Weezer, Deftones, Glassjaw, Elvis Costello and Saves the Day.

What can we expect from The Fold in 2006?

Our best year yet. You think you've seen a lot of us on the front of ap.net? You just wait... We want to get our music into as many peoples IPOD's as possible. I think it's just going to involve a lot of this: 1010111000001010010000lol1000101010 1111lmao10010101010rofl0101010101om g10101001

Do you have any parting words for our readers?

Yes, go to absolutepunk.net/thefold and check out our new record. If you like what you hear, pre-order our album. It would help us out a ton!

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
03:32 PM on 02/03/06
joeshmoe909
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
All the songs are awsome I cant wait for the album and hopefully see one of their shows sometime!
03:43 PM on 02/03/06
pretty_in_punk3
Calm Before The Storm
User Info.
i wonder what string of warped tour dates they are doing....that'd be cool to see them there...
04:01 PM on 02/03/06
MESTUPSH0W0FF
User Info.
Quote:
i wonder what string of warped tour dates they are doing

I think Chicago is one of them.
04:14 PM on 02/03/06
sweetbeatdead<3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It should be a good year for them. I'll be checking out a show for sure.
12:53 AM on 02/04/06
PlunketChris
www.myspace.com/plunket
User Info.
Originally Posted by MESTUPSH0W0FF
I think Chicago is one of them.

I believe it's like Milwaukee, Chicago Cleveland, and one other, with a possibility of more.
06:26 AM on 02/04/06
sweetbeatdead<3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
shweet. Thanks for clearing that up brah.
03:44 PM on 02/04/06
TommyGunn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this record is going to be sweet.
02:15 AM on 03/18/06
annie89g
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hot one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News