AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Queerpunks.com's Webmaster

Queerpunks.com's Webmaster

Interviewed by
Frank: Ok, Give some background history/information on Queerpunks.com and who is your target audience? Also, why did you decide to make the site?
Adam: I started the website back about 6 years ago. my best friend and I were at a show discussing how many gay people we thought were at the show. For the most part - you can't really pick out another homo but we knew there had to be alot there. Statistically 10%. Both of us wanted a way to connect with other gay people at the shows we were going to. Mind you this wasn't a Pansy Division show or any other stereotypical gay punk band. I started to site just as a message board so we could connect with other gay people in the underground music scene.

I knew there had to be alot of people like us around the country (and now it seems the world) who were completely surrounded by straight friends but totally alone because we didn't know any other gay people into punk rock. This was in Southern California - pretty liberal. I felt sorry for the kids in the very conservative parts of the country who were too afraid to come out and be themselves.

---
Frank: It's safe to say homosexuals are constantly fighting to feel a part of "normal" society, don't you feel starting a website like Queerpunks.com only helps to divide and segregate the homosexual community from the rest of society?
Adam: Absolutely not. We're not segregating ourselves from society. That's the straight person's point of view. It would be the same if Vegans had a website to connect and communicate. This website is geared to straight people as much as it is geared towards the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transexual (GLBT) community. It's about understanding eachother

-----
Frank: Would you be upset if I made a website to communicate with straight people better?
Adam: Nope - I don't see straight people (as a demographic) as a discriminated minority. Generally, Straight people don't get fired from their jobs for having heterosexual relationships. Straight kids don't get kicked out of their homes for having a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. And most importantly - straight kids don't get beat up for holding hands at a show.

-----
Frank: But an effective way of getting people used to the GLBT of life is by subjecting them to it, whether it be by holding hands at shows, kissing in public, etc. Wouldn't creating a website strictly for homosexuals to communicate and connect, prevent the homosexual lifestyle from establishing itself in society? In other words, shouldn't bringing the community into the public eye be the main goal? Not bringing it into it's own community?
Adam: No. It's simply a support structure to help eahother cope with the stuff that comes along with being visible in the music scene. Additionally, If you look at the website there's alot of straight bands who contribute to the website and urge the visitors to be visible and to be themselves. I think that leaves a strong message to the straight people as much as it does the gay people

-----
Frank: Do you think a role model-like band member would lose fans and hurt his image if he came out of the closet and admitted that he was homosexual?
Adam: I certainly hope not. I think in the beginning it would with some fans. Look at what happened to Rob Halford. In the end (no pun intended) people came to accept it. I think that ultimately it helps with acceptance and understanding. Losing some fans might hurt their wallets but I would imagine the benefits of not hiding who you are as a person will get you respect. Besides, who wants a fan who can't stand who you are?

-----
Frank: There are obviously some band members who have not come out of the closet. Do you think it hurts the GLBT community when rock icons keep their mouths shut about their sexual orientation?
Adam: I think it does hurt the GLBT community when people aren't honest about their orientation. This doesn't mean you come out on stage looking like Richard Simmons and announce to the world that you're a homo. That would be ridiculous - like announcing to the audience you're left handed and have blue eyes. However, I think it's important to not hide the fact you are Gay, Bi, Les, or Trans. That means not hiding your relationship just to keep up appearances, answering questions about your sexuality open and honestly - not like a politician.

-----

Frank: Do yout hink a lot of the GLBT stereotypes hold true? (gay lisp, hand gestures, etc.) Also, are you offended by any of these sterotypes?
Adam: For the most part they don't hold true. There's a HUGE cross section of gay people in society but the media tends to focus on the more outrageous and flambouyant types. It offends me when that happens - That the media doesn't think that the general population isn't ready for gay people to be portrayed in any other way than a flamer, leather loving, cross dressing, fetish loving homosexual. On the flipside, I also find it disturbing that some gay people feel the need to conform to the stereotypes. I've seen some very masculine gay guys who hang out with very flambouyant friends for a span of a year and they turn into flamers themselves. They do it to fit in with their friends. It annoys the hell out of me

-----
Frank: Do you think kids in this music scene are generally accepting of GLBTs? How does sexual orientation effect the music scene as a whole?
Adam: I think for the most part they are accepting. I've been out in the music scene for 10 years now. I can count on one hand the times I've felt threatened or extremely insulted. But this is all in Southern California - a pretty open and accepting environment to come out. I've been other places where that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't think sexual orientation effects the scene very much. Maybe it helps kids think outside of the box in their ideals and beliefs.

-----
Frank: Do you think that the growth of the "emo" movement in the scene, as well as adopting more androgynous styles of dress, is a sign of people feeling less constricted by gender norms, and therefore more accepting of homosexuality?
Adam: Well I don't know about the Emo movement in general but I see the point of your question and I do agree with that. But the music scene has always been challenging the way people think about society and what's "normal". I remember when having your ear pierced was totally taboo for a male. Almost scandalous. The same with tattoos, pink and blue hair, and now boys wearing girls jeans and makeup

-----
Frank: Can you be born gay?
Adam: I think so. My theory is that homosexuality is nature's way of population control. Imagine if 10% of the population wasn't gay. How many more people would there be here poluting the earth. Homosexuality is also in other species of animals. That leads me to believe that it's more of a nature and not a nurture type of situation

-----
Frank: Do you feel the website would lose some of its credibility if a lot of heterosexuals started visiting it?
Adam: Well yes and no. I would be stoked if it had more straight people coming to it. It means (I hope) tolerance is their motive and we could all use a little more tolerance in the world, right? I'm in this game so I don't have to feel the need for a website like this.

-----
Frank: If you could change one thing relating to society and the GBLT community what would it be?
Adam: I think I would change the homophobia that exists within the gay community. It's hard to fight homophobia when the butch guys hate the flamers and drag queens, the flamers that hate the leather community, and the twinks that hate anyone over 25. Until we unite as a community we won't be able to fight as one against homophobia.

-----
Frank: Are you offended by the words "***", "Queer", etc.? Where is the line drawn between what's acceptable and not?
Adam: Personally, NO. I like to tell people that I'm probably the straightest *** they've ever met. However, I dislike the use of the words as insults. I hear it all the time at shows. When a closeted gay kid hears "That's so gay" it really puts a big dent in their psyche. It makes it that much harder for them to tell their friends that they're gay. I know it sounds like I'm a walking double standard. My friends know who I am and they accept me. If I'm called *** - I admit to it. My opinion - It's not an insult if you accept yourself

-----
Frank: Any last words or things you want to say? Advice? Anything?
Adam: First and formost I'd like to thank you for the interview. I'd like to communicate to everyone that you shouldn't just assume that your friends or someone you've just met is straight. Gay people look just like everyone else. I would urge straight kids to go to a PFLAG (Parents, and friends of lesbains and Gays) meeting if they want to get more involved. www.pglag.org . I'd like to see band members in very popular bands finally come out (You know who you are!!)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
02:21 PM on 02/10/06
Hidenothing27
User Info.
Frank: Can you be born gay?
Adam: I think so. My theory is that homosexuality is nature's way of population control. Imagine if 10% of the population wasn't gay. How many more people would there be here poluting the earth. Homosexuality is also in other species of animals. That leads me to believe that it's more of a nature and not a nurture type of situation

his opinion but man is the weirdest explanation ever... if its population control why homo sexuals trying to adopt and is it population control that some girls cant have babies.. just does not make sense to me if anyone wants to explain go ahead but lets not get into this debate again
02:22 PM on 02/10/06
FOBPrettyNPunk
Registered Member
User Info.
very nice interview.
02:34 PM on 02/10/06
indie_ira
wonka wonka wonka
User Info.
very good interview.
03:25 PM on 02/10/06
heyRomanticA__x
is Nikola Tesla
User Info.
Yay for us gays!
03:30 PM on 02/10/06
Guy
True Punk Fan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
2 more normal posts and then the christian onslaught will begin
04:00 PM on 02/10/06
SpectacularView
User Info.
Cool.

Good to see some of my questions were asked :)
05:02 PM on 02/10/06
minusthejosh
Kill the big pig
User Info.
very good interview frank, one of the best that i've read in a long time. :thumbsup:
05:09 PM on 02/10/06
AltPressScott
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Hidenothing27
if its population control why homo sexuals trying to adopt

Adoption doesn't create more people, numbskull. It finds loving homes for those without one.
05:50 PM on 02/10/06
Rent Boy
donric formciatti
User Info.
Originally Posted by heyRomanticA__x
Yay for us gays!

exactly yay for us!
06:23 PM on 02/10/06
Frequency
User Info.
I like the interview.
06:29 PM on 02/10/06
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
Originally Posted by Frank Giaramita
Frank: Any last words or things you want to say? Advice? Anything?
Adam: First and formost I'd like to thank you for the interview. I'd like to communicate to everyone that you shouldn't just assume that your friends or someone you've just met is straight. Gay people look just like everyone else. I would urge straight kids to go to a PFLAG (Parents, and friends of lesbains and Gays) meeting if they want to get more involved. www.pglag.org . I'd like to see band members in very popular bands finally come out (You know who you are!!)

link typo. informative interview though.
12:04 PM on 02/11/06
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
Originally Posted by Hidenothing27

his opinion but man is the weirdest explanation ever... if its population control why homo sexuals trying to adopt and is it population control that some girls cant have babies.. just does not make sense to me if anyone wants to explain go ahead but lets not get into this debate again

Adoption doesn't create another human being, duh nuhhhh.

That was a great interview.
12:51 PM on 02/11/06
weegk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Guy
2 more normal posts and then the christian onslaught will begin

I find it ironic that in an interview like this, people still find a way to be closeminded. I don't take offense to your comment because I'm a Christian. But still, like all gays don't fit into the sterotypes (see interview) all Christians aren't right-wing, gay hating morons either.
02:12 PM on 02/15/06
PaperclipAnemia
Ho, Ho, Ho!
User Info.
Originally Posted by weegk
I find it ironic that in an interview like this, people still find a way to be closeminded. I don't take offense to your comment because I'm a Christian. But still, like all gays don't fit into the sterotypes (see interview) all Christians aren't right-wing, gay hating morons either.
well put. thank you.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version