AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
All Time Low - Nothing Personal Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.05
Musicianship 6.48
Lyrics 6.28
Production 7.11
Creativity 5.89
Lasting Value 6.42
Reviewer Tilt 6.81
Average: 66%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

All Time Low - Nothing Personal

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (07/01/09)
All Time LowNothing Personal
Release Date: July 7, 2009
Record Label: Hopeless

Ah, the summer of 2002. I remember 16 year-old me, cruising around the south side of Indianapolis with my still hot-off-the-machine drivers license listening to pop-punk staples such as New Found Glory, The Starting Line, and blink-182. My acne had just cleared up and my braces were due to be off any day now, and the feel-good tunes of “My Friends Over You” and “The Best of Me” paced the soundtrack to my summer. So it only makes sense that I’m reaching for the Clearasil while listening to Nothing Personal, the third, and soon to be breakthrough, album from All Time Low.

You see, when I listen to this album, it brings me back to that carefree summer. Maybe it’s the massive hooks of Nothing Personal, or the nature of the lyrics. With a “who’s who” list of producers behind the album (Matt Squire, Butch Walker, David Bendeth, S*A*M & Sluggo, and The-Dream), the twelve tracks all sound crisp, smooth, and dynamic. Opener “Weightless” packs a Tyson-sized punch, as the chorus soars behind Alex Gaskarth’s voice. Other pop-punk wish they could write hooks like the one on “Weightless,” and, as good as this hook is, it’s not the best one on this album. That would belong to the Butch Walker-produced first single “Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don’t).” The song has Walker’s fingerprints all over it, as it is nearly impossible to get “oh-oh-oh/how was I supposed to know?” out of your head.

The aggressiveness is turned up a notch on “Break Your Little Heart” and “Lost In Stereo.” “Break Your Little Heart” is paced by Gaskarth and Jack Barakat’s guitar work, while “Lost in Stereo” channels a bit of Jimmy Eat World angst into the chorus. “Stella” has some giddy-up to it, as the song carries just a bit of campy-ness to it.

“Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal” is the best song New Found Glory never wrote [1], while “A Party Song (The Walk of Shame)” will be a fan favorite next time All Time Low goes on tour. “Therapy” closes Nothing Personal on a somber note. While it’s no “Remembering Sunday,” it could still be a hit in the mainstream, a la Plain White T’s.

While the flaws of the album and the handful of clunkers wouldn’t bother 16-year-old Drew, the 23-year-old version has a few issues. First off, “Hello, Brooklyn” is an awful song, as it is the only track I skip on the album. The track sounds like a b-side from The Academy Is… terrible Fast Times At Barrington High. Another miss is “Too Much,” which is everything the title implies. Produced by The-Dream, the track has good intentions, but executes poorly. Lyrically, Nothing Personal focuses on girls, relationships, alcohol, and good times with friends. Basically it is the three months of summer portrayed through the eyes of All Time Low.

When I blast Nothing Personal in my car and roll down the windows, I can’t help but think of the summer of 2002. It has what anyone wants in their pop-punk/rock – huge hooks, honest (if not cheesy) lyrics, and a fun attitude. All Time Low isn’t exactly reinventing the wheel here, so if you were a fan of their 2007 album, So Wrong, It’s Right, then you will have no troubles enjoying this, as Nothing Personal is a step-up. The rest of 2009 is shaping up to be All Time Low’s year, as they should follow in the footsteps of Fall Out Boy and Paramore and just explode. If you dislike them now, you’ll really hate them as the year moves on. As for me, I’m gonna put on an Atticus shirt and some Dickies and relive 2002.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Weightless
2. Break Your Little Heart
3. Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don’t)
4. Lost in Stereo
5. Stella
6. Sick Little Games
7. Hello, Brooklyn
8. Walls
9. Too Much
10. Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal
11. A Party Song (The Walk of Shame)
12. Therapy
Produced by: Matt Squire, Butch Walker, David Bendeth, The-Dream, S*A*M & Sluggo

All Time Low is:
Alex Gaskarth – vocals/guitar
Jack Barakat – guitar
Rian Dawson – drums
Zack Merrick – bass

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 332.
11:04 AM on 07/01/09
Theow593
User Info.
really?
11:04 AM on 07/01/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Awesome review, man.Though I did like Too Much. Maybe there's a bit of sixteen-year old Drew in me. Or some 8th grade Drew, since I didn't mind Eminem's Insane.

/review throwback.
11:07 AM on 07/01/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
I agree.
It's a good album, but not a masterpiece like everyone is expecting it to be.

It's just a fun summer record.
11:08 AM on 07/01/09
combatbaby
meow
User Info.
Nice review - this album has made me an ATL fan. Although it's still a bit hard to admit that to myself, I can't deny it any longer.
11:10 AM on 07/01/09
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
User Info.
Good review, Drew. I agree completely with it.
11:10 AM on 07/01/09
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Oh and Hello, Brooklyn is slowly growing on me. I hate Too Much though.
11:11 AM on 07/01/09
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
No surprises here.

Disappointed to hear that there won't be a decent follow-up to "Remembering Sunday" though.
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
On the last Nothing Personal it says nothing persona. Need to fix it.

But good review. Love your writing Drew.

Oh and no nothing personal jokes?
crit
@crittweets
User Info.
Good stuff Drewski.
11:12 AM on 07/01/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
Nice review Drew. I really like Weightess and Damned but the rest is still kinda meh for me.
david19
User Info.
Fun summer record, im not to sure il be listening to these songs long term..
Poultrylicious
haters are mean
User Info.
PUOSU> So Wrong, I didn't listen to this yet though, hope its not too poppy.
GuitarR0cker1
things mean a lot at the time
User Info.
nice review, I would give a higher vocals score though.
11:13 AM on 07/01/09
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music