AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Speakeasy Tiger - The Public Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.88
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.38
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.63
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 98%
Inside AP.net

Speakeasy Tiger - The Public

Reviewed by: the andyspecial (07/13/09)
Speakeasy Tiger - The Public
record label: self released
release date: July 11th, 2009

In the last five years the Denver music scene ballooned like its burgeoning housing market. Unlike real estate, the musicians of Denver are stronger and louder than ever. A diverse collection of rock artists, ranging from Fear Before to the Fray, have imprinted the hearts and minds of impressionable listeners with their fresh adaptations to familiar styles. Speakeasy Tiger proves to be part of the club on their release The Public, an insightful progression of No Doubt's latter-day works that incorporates an abundance of melody and simplicity.

Electro rhythms and sing-along choruses dominate the album. Songs like "She Says" and "Oil Rising" are reminiscent of 80s Blondie hits; so infectious that you catch yourself singing along while listening to your Ipod in public spaces. Each vocal line is as delicately crafted as the musical accompaniment. Rather than over saturating each song with a cacophony of instrumentation, Speakeasy Tiger simplifies arrangements by focusing on counter melodies, crescendos, and hooks without over instrumentation. I dare say that this album is ambitious, however, it speaks volumes for the intensity of their live performance.

Minimalism is the most pronounced quality of the album, all the way down to the packaging. The disc, a few key statements, and simple artwork printed on paperboard are all that is contained under the shrink-wrap plastic it is shipped in. These expressions are evidence that the simple things in life are often the best.

The Public is simple and concise in every aspect. It represents the early steps in what could be a great band in years to come.

Recommended If You Like No Doubt; Blondie; Yeah Yeah Yeahs; Karate High School

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:35 PM on 07/16/09
physicsfarmer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I purchased this outstanding album during Speakeasy Tiger's CD release show, and it is one of the best CD's that I have ever bought! Its songs combine driving, pulsating rhytms with synths, keytar, and guitars that range from deep, introspective, and melodic to catchy and dancable to songs that are just plain 'good old rock and roll'. Each song is capped off with dynamic vocals that are clear, precise, unique, from the heart, and quite captivating. While many songs from The Public deserve airtime, my personal favorite is Not Something You Need. This song reminds me of driving a hot car down the interstate on a clear summer day - in other words, it get the adrenalin pumping! Overall, this is a CD that certainly desreves hearing.
11:13 PM on 04/08/10
xtrole
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I worked with this band when they were touring in the west coast, and they put on a great show! They are very talented and their tunes are catchy enough that a crowd can't help moving when they play. It's totally worth buying the cd, and if they are ever touring near you, I'd check em out for sure
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums