|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Sandy Gill Affair, The - 01.13.09
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer. |
The Sandy Gill Affair - (TJ Smith) [myspace]
1. How did you get your band name?
What we tell everyone- "Sandy Gill" is the guy who invented Cheez Its/Poptarts/Post-it Notes.
The truth- one of our singers/guitarists (Scott Snyder) was in a metalcore band with a guy named Sandy Gill, and Sandy 'cheated' on the metalcore band and started a new pop-punk band on the side. Scott found out and thought it was a great idea; he wanted to pull a "Sandy Gill affair" too. So that's how we got started.
2. How did this band get started?
See above answer. After Scott decided he wanted to start a band, he contacted TJ Smith after hearing through a mutual friend that he wanted to start a band too. They both loved pop-punk, though TJ was more into the pop side (blink 182, Taking Back Sunday, Brand New), and Scott was more into the punk side (The Ataris, The Descendants, The Gaslight Anthem). The idea came together over the spring/summer of 2007. In the fall, they started writing some songs, which were pretty shitty, and then they got better. First official show was in November '07, which included drummer Colin Adamo and original bassist/screamer Avi Gandhi. Avi spent the spring semester of '08 at home, and as a result the band picked up keyboardist Kurt Schneider. As the band continued playing shows (having Kurt play the bass notes), it became clear that the original vision had changed, and Avi and the band parted ways (it wasn't on the best of terms, but we've reconciled our differences now). In fall 2008, TJ switched to bass (who also sings), and guitarist Sean McCusker joined the ranks. Thus the current line up is:
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Motion City Sountrack, old school Brand New and Fall Out Boy, Rufio.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A shark, cause you don't want to rub 'em the wrong way. Increases the danger.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We're like Simon & Garfunkel mixed with Kris Roe and a hint of Madonna.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"The Reasons Why"
Probably not that hard. But it'd be a fun song to do with a group, especially if they added a 2nd vocalist (we have 2 singers)
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We probably wouldn't; we never want to get that much fame. It would ruin us, the same way it's ruined (almost) every other good band.
Well, I suppose if we did win a Grammy, then that would mean that we had changed, and thus we'd be thanking all the people who got us to that point... but I'm saying right here and now we don't want to get that big. Just big enough.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The way business is done. The laziness of faux fans who won't buy merch or music or tickets for their favorite bands. The hype that pervades the up-and-coming scene. The lack of respect for new bands with quality music, and the excess of success of shitty bands (cough*brokencyde*cough)
10. Memorable tour experience?
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Good music news/updates, a bit of a tough crowd when it comes to critiquing bands/music
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Madonna - "Like a Prayer"
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
In my bed with my acoustic guitar
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Beach Boys, Beatles, oldies
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To fly. I dream about that every month. It's fantastic yet saddening when I wake up.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
For sure not yet.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That we go to Yale. And what our band name is from.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Talk like a pirate day
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Think about who would win in a fight- Mike Ditka or God?
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Head/neck massage master. Pretty good with mimicking accents. It's not a talent, but I have a decent keychain collection; it's over 10 feet long now.
What does each band member contribute to writing a song/album?/how do you go about writing a song?
Usually scott (guitarist/singer) or TJ (bassist/singer) write a song on their own, then start working on it with the other person and Sean (lead guitarist). then they bring it to the rest of the band (drummer and keyboardist). rarely, two or more people will work on a song together and bring it to fruition; usually that method ends up going nowhere.
Scott brings the punk-ness, Kurt brings the pop-ness, Colin brings the hot-ness, Sean brings the guitar shredding, and TJ either sings real pretty or jumps around the stage.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first.
More From This Author