AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sparks Will Fly - The Soundtrack Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 6.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Sparks Will Fly - The Soundtrack

Reviewed by: Handraa (07/19/09)
Sparks Will Fly - The Soundtrack
Record Label: District Kills Records
Release Date: May 19, 2009

Pop-punk easily gets associated with one thing: summer. Now that summer is upon us, we all need a soundtrack for those long nights, heartbreak, and great times with our friends. This is where Sparks Will Fly's EP The
Soundtrack comes in.

The Soundtrack opens with the track "We're Not Chasing Ghosts," which seems like a call to long time fans, as lead vocalist Jordan Hillman belts out "We are the kids you used to love/ a little older now/ but we are still young and still have time/ we're dying to feel that way again." Sparks Will Fly keep the EP rolling with "I Gave Her My Heart, She Gave Me A Pen." The song is filled with energy and their youth comes out in this track, as it sounds like something you would hear from Hit the Lights. The next song, "That's What She Said," comes off as extremely poppy right from the begining and the guitar riffs sound extremely similar to Cartel's hit song "Honestly." The chorus is very catchy as the trio of vocalists sing "She said she said/ you and me / we've gotta spark that can set this world on fire," making it an instant classic on my rotation.

After a short intermission, "You're Not Dying (You Just Can't Think Of Anything Good To Do)," hits back hard and is reminiscent of We the Kings. Vocalist Jordan Hillman sounds similiar to All Time Low's frontman Alex Gaskarth on every song of The Soundtrack, but particularly on this song.

"People in Glass Houses Sink Ships" is the standout track on the album. It has great drum work, exceptional guitar combination and great vocals. Towards the end of the song there is a complete tempo change, and Sparks Will Fly throws out the unthinkable (could it be?), a breakdown. It's a great change of pace and catches the listener completely off guard. "I'll Go Down In History (Or Up in Flames)" takes one of these sudden, unexpected tempo changes as well, but to the other end of the spectrum. Sparks Will Fly slow things down with a smooth bass line, soft guitar chords and piano accompiantment. The vocalist proclaims "I'm sure I could make it on my own / but you remind me that I'm not alone." These tempo changes are great, and Sparks Will Fly should do this more often.

The Soundtrack serves it's purpose. Every song is catchy and gives off that summer atmosphere. This band is still young and has plenty of time to grow.

Recommended If You LIkeAll Time Low Put Up Or Shut Up; Cartel's Chroma; The Starting Line; Four Year Strong

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
12:39 PM on 07/27/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
I'm sold just based on the RIYL. Great review.
02:22 PM on 07/27/09
TenFour
User Info.
Really cool bunch of guys
09:53 PM on 08/02/09
rhymeswpitynow
User Info.
these guys are all such sweethearts...they are definitely going places! if warped tour still hasn't come around to your town yet, make sure you find their tent and say hi :)
06:41 PM on 12/13/09
AlexEnglish
Shablagoo
User Info.
im playing a show with them on january 15th. they are possibly THE nicest guys ive ever met.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums