AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:47 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
from a fan or management view?

kirkland would be the most crowd pleasing fight (martinez or canelo would also be great), but i bet cotto and his team are only interested in making big dollars at this point in his career...which makes me think they'll want mayweather soon.

on a unrelated, but self congratulating note, i went 6 for 6 on picking winners and method of winning for the fights i watched on saturday. :jayz:

i meant management view.

definitely agree with mayweather. do NOT wanna see him have a rematch with pacquiao.

if not mayweather i say the next fight will be with chavez jr since they are both under top rank.

haha good job man. you be killin em.
11:16 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
i meant management view.

definitely agree with mayweather. do NOT wanna see him have a rematch with pacquiao.

if not mayweather i say the next fight will be with chavez jr since they are both under top rank.

haha good job man. you be killin em.

if he fought pac again without a catchweight he might be able to do better, but yeah, mayweather makes the most sense.

chavez jr? i doubt that. top rank has been extremely careful with jr, giving him very small steps up along the way, and cotto would be a HUGE step up over anything jr has ever faced.
11:27 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
if he fought pac again without a catchweight he might be able to do better, but yeah, mayweather makes the most sense.

chavez jr? i doubt that. top rank has been extremely careful with jr, giving him very small steps up along the way, and cotto would be a HUGE step up over anything jr has ever faced.

i just dont see any other fighter that makes financial sense for cotto.

its not worth it for him in this stage of his career to take any unnecessary risks.

and well i agree with your assessment of top rank protecting junior (who doesnt?) i think he might do better than you expect.

for two reasons:

1) he IS improving. not saying he is as skilled as cotto but he is definitely formidable.

2) he is naturally bigger and has a decent chin.
11:28 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
im ready for this weekend.

khan is my boy.

11:36 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
i just dont see any other fighter that makes financial sense for cotto.

its not worth it for him in this stage of his career to take any unnecessary risks.

and well i agree with your assessment of top rank protecting junior (who doesnt?) i think he might do better than you expect.

for two reasons:

1) he IS improving. not saying he is as skilled as cotto but he is definitely formidable.

2) he is naturally bigger and has a decent chin.

if i had to guess i'd say the next year or so goes something like this.....pac/mayweather gets made for may, cotto takes on a semi-credible opponent to stay busy, canelo and jr have a tune up before fighting each other in the middle or later part of the year, cotto/mayweather happens late in the year (after mayweather cruises to an easy decision win over pac), and then cotto fights the winner of the canelo/jr fight in spring of 2013 to continue the great mexico vs. puerto rico rivalry.

i'm sure chavez jr. wouldn't embarrass himself against cotto at this point, but i wouldn't give him much chance to win.
11:40 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
if i had to guess i'd say the next year or so goes something like this.....pac/mayweather gets made for may, cotto takes on a semi-credible opponent to stay busy, canelo and jr have a tune up before fighting each other in the middle or later part of the year, cotto/mayweather happens late in the year (after mayweather cruises to an easy decision win over pac), and then cotto fights the winner of the canelo/jr fight in spring of 2013 to continue the great mexico vs. puerto rico rivalry.

i'm sure chavez jr. wouldn't embarrass himself against cotto at this point, but i wouldn't give him much chance to win.

easy UD win for mayweather eh?

haha so was this your assessment before the pacquiao/marquez fight as well?

just curious...
11:42 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
im ready for this weekend.

khan is my boy.

aside from a somewhat suspect chin, khan has all the tools to be a great fighter.
11:44 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
easy UD win for mayweather eh?

haha so was this your assessment before the pacquiao/marquez fight as well?

just curious...

over the years i've gone back and forth, but my most consistent opinion has been that mayweather would be able to outbox pac......i think trevor/ghostyouare can vouch for that.

edit:i won't lie though, the latest marquez fight has had some influence on my thinking.
11:44 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
aside from a somewhat suspect chin khan has all the tools to be a great fighter.

absolutely.
11:47 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
over the years i've gone back and forth, but my most consistent opinion has been that mayweather would be able to outbox pac......trevor/ghostyouare can vouch for that.

ha alright fair enough.

i have pacquiao by SD.
11:59 AM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
ha alright fair enough.

i have pacquiao by SD.

if the fight happens it's going to hinge on whether or not pac can get to mayweather with his straight left hand, or if mayweather is able to counter it effectively.....mayweather has been susceptible to that punch in the past (one of the few drawbacks of his shoulder rolling defense).....but i think he'll be able to more or less neutralize it against pac.
12:04 PM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
if the fight happens it's going to hinge on whether or not pac can get to mayweather with his straight left hand, or if mayweather is able to counter it effectively.....mayweather has been susceptible to that punch in the past (one of the few drawbacks of his shoulder rolling defense).....but i think he'll be able to neutralize it against pac.

yup. all of this is truth.

except for the last part...

pacman has punches coming at so many angles and comes forward ALL the time and puts constant pressure that i dont think mayweather will be able to hold him off for twelve rounds.
12:18 PM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
yup. all of this is truth.

except for the last part...

pacman has punches coming at so many angles and comes forward ALL the time and puts constant pressure that i dont think mayweather will be able to hold him off for twelve rounds.

nah.

pac has shown that he really doesn't respond all that well to being countered (he becomes much more tentative and attempts to box), and mayweather is one of the best pure boxer/counter-punchers to have ever put on a pair of gloves.
12:25 PM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
mattyrocks
nah.

pac has shown that he really doesn't respond all that well to being countered (he becomes much more tentative and attempts to box), and mayweather is one of the best pure boxer/counter-punchers to have ever put on a pair of gloves.

now this is truth.

buuuuuuut pacmans chin is better than mayweathers.

that being said i think pacmans punches would be more effective than mayweathers.

not to mention pacman has more power than mayweather.
02:28 PM on 12/05/11 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
now this is truth.

buuuuuuut pacmans chin is better than mayweathers.

that being said i think pacmans punches would be more effective than mayweathers.

not to mention pacman has more power than mayweather.

i don't know how you can say that. it goes without saying he's never been ko'd and mayweather's only officially been knocked down once in his career......and that was because he hurt his hand. zab judah got him to touch the canvas, but mayweather wasn't hurt and it wasn't ruled a knockdown.

pac on the other hand has been ko'd twice by people no one has heard from since.

if pac can't land any punches it doesn't really matter how effective they COULD be.

i don't know who's got more power. neither knocked out marquez or mosely, both ko'd hatton, and while pac got the tko against de la hoya it wasn't because of punching power as much as it was de la hoya quitting out of embarrassment.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos