The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
Lexington [myspace] [purevolume]
LEXINGTON is signed to Torque Records & distributed world wide through Victory Records. The band has a progressive rock sound with various hardcore influences and a love for experimental/epic art.
1. How did you get your band name? Though a lot of people assume the bands name came from a Chiodos song titled "Lexington" which was released as a single around the same time the band's debut EP was being released however that's not how it came to be. It was more of an unconscious decision to use the name. The name Lexington was something that sounded simple yet classy, a one word title that had a long history, over 20 cities share the name, one of the first battles of the American Revolutionary War, vessels, automobiles and even a porn star. I think if anything was the underlying influence to use the name it would probably be due to it's use in the Dashboard Confessional song "Age Six Racer". The actual lyric in the song is "I hate the winter in Lexington".
2. How did this band get started?
Lexington was a creation much like many other bands, a group of talented musicians from around the Toronto, Canada (GTA) area that were looking for something more than their previous endeavors. All the members came from other bands that had been in the Canadian music scene, and founded Lexington as the perfect creative outlet for a group of very individual personalities with their own influences but with the common vision/goal of creating something beautiful, something that would make it's mark in time, however large or small that may be.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
The list is way too long. Every member of Lexington has their own eclectic influences but also share some of the same music to draw from. Bands from every era, and many genres influence the bands writing though what comes out is always a modern sound.
We're influenced by artists like Glassjaw, Circa Survive, Michael Jackson, Guns N' Roses, Radiohead, Underoath, Hopesfall, Damien Rice, Sigur Rose, from old jazz musicians to 60's rock, 80's Rock & Roll to modern hardcore. Whatever really screams out to us.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Again that list would be way too long. At the present time I think any band that we admire would be amazing, any tour that would help get our music out to as many people as possible. If was to pick one for the moment I would say Circa Survive because we all admire how they've grown through out the years and because I know the guys in Circa. I think it would be a more comfortable learning experience to do a bigger tour with a band you are acquainted with instead of strangers.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal? Definitely a big cat of some sort. The reason is because I have a Bengal Cat (part domestic cat and part Asian Leopard Cat) named Mookie that is my pride and joy, he seems to be quite care free and enjoys his life to the fullest... whether that be just chillin on the highest shelf he can find, splashing around in the bathtub, playing fetch or when his wild nocturnal hunting instinct kicks in at night and he attacks everything in sight with no fear!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
That's not an easy question to answer but in all honesty I think people should give Lexington a good listen because we're writing music for not only ourselves but for everyone that loves art, wants an escape, believes in something more than what you see in every day life. We work really hard at writing what we believe to be great art that gives back, something that anyone can put on and find something to relate to whether it be in the lyrics or through the mood or feeling the music gives off.
Music is something special, it's a very personal medium but can be taken by another person and twisted to become their own in one way or another. A song can become so much more than just words and music to someone.. it can represent a moment or period of time in someones life, memories can be brought back by simply putting on a song.
We hope to be able to do all of this for people and that's why they should listen.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert? Probably one of the new songs that will be on our full length which will be released sometime in 2009 on Torque Records & available world wide through Victory Records.
It would be fairly hard to get a five star on expert.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? Ummm, god, family, friends, every single person that ever had faith in what we do or took the time to listen to our music, everyone that supports the band by buying our records, and merch, everyone that comes to the shows or takes the time to tell us what they think of our music.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Too many things! It's a messy situation right now due to the rapid changes that happen daily and I think the industry is trying to adapt but the music is suffering. Art and Commerce will rarely walk hand in hand so I think no matter what I could change it wouldn't make things perfect for everyone.
10. Memorable tour experience?
When we got our new van which for some reason came with a P.A. system installed in it and only a tape deck to listen to music. We basically drove home with a mic plugged into the P.A. and had a karaoke night. The problem was we only had two tapes to choose from... a Pink Floyd record or a best of Marvin Gaye.
We went with Marvin.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
My official source of music news, and a daily read.
12. What is your favorite song to play? Probably one of the tracks off the record we just finished writing!
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Never really been on a vacation personally, So lets say.. time off from everything at home with family.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
There are a bunch of artists that remind me of my child hood, or child hood memories. Definitely Guns N' Roses and Michael Jackson.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Hard to say which traditional "Super Power" I'd go for personally, but at this moment in time I'd be fond of anything telekinetic. Some power that would enable me to control anything with my mind.. whether it be moving things like a Jedi or stopping time to enjoy a certain moment in time. Or yesss.. I got it. I would like to have the "Super Power" Hayden Christensen's character David Rice has in the film "JUMPER". To move from one point to another in the blink of an eye. That would be it, for obvious reasons.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I would say Lexington is working harder than ever at this point in time, striving toward the moment we can be lucky enough to say we've "made it". To be able to do this as a legitimate career, support ourselves and family's.. be financially stable enough to build a future for ourselves and our loved ones is one of our most important goals. To be lucky enough to see the sort of success that allows artists the freedom to continue writing & performing on a daily basis, and in turn using that freedom and success to help others in any way possible.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
There really is a lot our fans don't know about us! We like to do our best to keep the attention on our music and the goal of connecting with people through our music and art rather than us personally. I think the one thing that most people don't know or realize about Lexington is how much we actually care about what we do.. in a time when bands are a dime a dozen, and music is everywhere (some truly amazing & others just made to sell.) we feel blessed to have as many people listen to our music as we do and we work very hard creating it, living and breathing the music/message/art.
18. What's your favorite holiday? Valentines Day! There is something about the positive vibe that day brings, you can feel love in the air.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Lexington is made up of 5 very individual guys, we all have our own things we like to do on our off time from work and the band. Some of us like to party and have crazy nights, others like to build things, paint, write poetry, watch movies, do charity work, spend time with our families. I like to spend time with my love and teach my Bengal cat Mookie new tricks.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? We all have our various hidden talents.. some we can't speak of in interviews, unless it's one for Playboy! lol
Thank you for reading, we hope you enjoy. And please come visit us at our myspace page, listen to the music and leave us a personal message! We look forward to hearing from you all.