Username
Password

11:34 PM on 08/11/12 
User Info.
achassi
duck president
NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Like I'm going to discuss the opinion of a guy who doesn't think other guys are allowed to have opinions if they aren't fighters themselves.

The guy I think won is the champion, again, so you can cry about it all you want.

I think you should, you don't know me and I was only trying to get a reaction out of you (It was a success!). Anyway, I was only kidding but I still do not agree with your opinion on point fighting. If a fighter's strength is going out there and giving a guy a workout with some quick jabs and combos then I'm all for it. What I'm saying is that it doesn't all have to be KO or SUB or slobber knocker to be a compelling fight. So where did you think Benson took it? I'm all for a truce and a friendly discussion.
12:09 AM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 22 Years Old
Knew Cerrone would come out on top! Though those first few seconds kinda scared me hahaha

and I would have been ok if Edgar won, it could have gone either way IMO but it was a LOT LOT closer this time around than in their 1st fight which Henderson clearly won.
12:21 AM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Figure8Guitar
Columbia, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
Man, I don't have anything personal against Edgar, but I really want to see him out of the title picture for a while. It's been way less exciting with him backing up the division. Plus, I feel like he's been given a lot of gifts.

I had him losing the first BJ Penn fight, to be honest. It was close, but I feel like BJ got robbed (especially with one judge giving all 5 rounds to Frankie. What the hell?). He clearly won the second fight, though, so I guess it's alright.

I also had him losing the first fight with Maynard, but he was given the draw and it saved him from losing his belt. But again, he came back in the second fight and won decisively with the finish.

Also thought he clearly lost the first fight with Bendo, yet he was gifted this rematch. It sucks that this time he got "robbed" according to a lot of people, but seriously... this dude has had some good luck with judges so far, so he can't complain too much.
04:08 AM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
xglassjawx
Sergio Georgini
Reading, England
Male - 26 Years Old
Henderson won the fight imo, he had a clear advantage on the feet in both the first and second fight. He looks like a middleweight compared to Edgar. Still, I don't think Henderson has done anything too impressive, he's just eeked out a few close decisions to win and retain the title. Anyway, now is the time...

06:41 AM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
drudo182
Be Royal
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
Diaz is going to go crazy on Henderson. That one should be a good fight.
10:20 AM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Stavie Steelo
Chicago
Male - 24 Years Old
I am pumped for Pettis vs Cerrone. I hope Pettis wins and Nate takes the title so those two can finally fight, would be an awesome fight since they have been shit talking each other for a bit now.
12:52 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I am one of the few who had Henderson winning it.

In my opinion, Henderson CLEARLY won the first fight, so Frankie really should've come in and really dominated - this rematch was a gift and a huge opportunity and I didn't feel like he really get much off. Granted, Ben didn't get a lot off either.

I absolutely DON'T feel bad for Frankie, though. He didn't deserve the rematch to begin with and he needs to quit point fighting.

Frankie keeps getting in rematches because he has a terrible time finishing fights or winning convincingly (except for both Penn II and Maynard II, of course).

Couple things..

First off, I don't see how anyone could have scored that fight for Henderson. A draw is the best result for Bendo I would have given out. He quite clearly lost, given by the hometown crowd booing the hometown fighter, every publication scoring it for Edgar, and the list goes on. The only people who seem to think Bendo won are people who like Bendo as a fighter more than Frankie, and the judges, and we all know how reliable they are.

Second, Frankie isn't the matchmaker. He can't be blamed for getting a rematch. Sure, he lobbied for it, who wouldn't? The UFC gave him the fight, and he took it (and won it, but we'll get off that topic). As far as his fights go, he's a LW who should be fighting at featherweight, in a division with a lot of versatile, talented guys. He doesn't finish fights because he doesn't have a lot of power, he's at a size disadvantage in every fight, and LWs generally don't carry one-punch KO power the way higher weight classes do. I get what you're saying, but it's silly and unfair to say he doesn't finish fights or win convincingly, considering the exact same can be said based on your logic for BJ recently, Maynard, and even Henderson himself.

Also, you say "except for Penn II and Maynard II, yet those are 2 of his last 5 fights, and many people last night believe Henderson II was a convincing win. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just seems silly to give Frankie shit over what you're giving him shit for.
12:55 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Also, I'd like to see Bendo vs. Nate main event the UFC on FOX card later this year. That and Rory vs. BJ would be a great pair.
03:01 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Jaimehere
Support local music!
Philippines
Male - 22 Years Old
Hope Edgar finally goes down and he gets to fight Aldo, that would be an interesting match-up/challenge for Aldo.
03:09 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
xglassjawx
Sergio Georgini
Reading, England
Male - 26 Years Old
Also, I'd like to see Bendo vs. Nate main event the UFC on FOX card later this year. That and Rory vs. BJ would be a great pair.

Sounds good enough to head a PPV tbh. Though the Shogun/Vera card was one of the very best cards all year.
03:29 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Figure8Guitar
Columbia, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
How did everyone score the fight?

I had rounds 2, 4, and 5 going to Frankie. Even though I like Benson more as a fighter, and I really want to see Edgar out of the title picture for a little while, I really can't think of any logical way Benson won that fight.

Round 4 was the closest round, I thought. Frankie landed more shots, definitely. He also landed some good ones early on, leading to his front choke attempt. But on the other hand, Benson might not have landed as often, but his shots looked like they were hitting harder (which is hard to account for with the judging). Also when he got the "take down", Frankie did absolutely nothing with it, then ended up getting kicked in the head while he was standing over Benson.

Like I said, that one was super close, so MAYBE I could see Benson taking that round to give him the lead, but I honestly don't think so. I sort of want to re-watch it but without Joe Rogan. He would yell and shout every time Frankie would land any small little punch, so it was hard not to have some bias.
03:53 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Sounds good enough to head a PPV tbh. Though the Shogun/Vera card was one of the very best cards all year.
Definitely, but the FOX cards will be PPV caliber when they have NFL games to promote them.
07:15 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
Couple things..

First off, I don't see how anyone could have scored that fight for Henderson. A draw is the best result for Bendo I would have given out. He quite clearly lost, given by the hometown crowd booing the hometown fighter, every publication scoring it for Edgar, and the list goes on. The only people who seem to think Bendo won are people who like Bendo as a fighter more than Frankie, and the judges, and we all know how reliable they are.

Second, Frankie isn't the matchmaker. He can't be blamed for getting a rematch. Sure, he lobbied for it, who wouldn't? The UFC gave him the fight, and he took it (and won it, but we'll get off that topic). As far as his fights go, he's a LW who should be fighting at featherweight, in a division with a lot of versatile, talented guys. He doesn't finish fights because he doesn't have a lot of power, he's at a size disadvantage in every fight, and LWs generally don't carry one-punch KO power the way higher weight classes do. I get what you're saying, but it's silly and unfair to say he doesn't finish fights or win convincingly, considering the exact same can be said based on your logic for BJ recently, Maynard, and even Henderson himself.

Also, you say "except for Penn II and Maynard II, yet those are 2 of his last 5 fights, and many people last night believe Henderson II was a convincing win. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just seems silly to give Frankie shit over what you're giving him shit for.

Yeah, when it comes to rematches and his style of fighting I think I mostly just have a bad taste in my mouth because that the first fight with Ben was a clear lost for him in my opinion, and I soooo didn't want to see another fucking rematch. I understand that Frankie felt like he gave rematches...but one of those was due to a draw and the other was a much closer fight. I just didn't feel a rematch was warranted in the first place (maybe BJ didn't deserve one, too?) and I felt like it would've been nice to see him come out and really handle business, leaving no confusion. I could probably say the same about Ben in this fight, but I thought he did that in the first fight, anyway.

Also, I'm excited for Diaz vs. Ben. I have a feeling Ben will rely on his crazy submission defense and Nate will show him that was a bad idea. It just seems like Ben allows himself to get in subs all the time because he knows he'll survive. Seems like every fight.
07:16 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
Thirdly - WTF is with "It's FIGHT Time" Bruce Buffer?

Not digging it.
08:54 PM on 08/12/12 
User Info.
speakhandsforme
no shame in impulse
St. Louis, MO
Male - 24 Years Old
Yeah, when it comes to rematches and his style of fighting I think I mostly just have a bad taste in my mouth because that the first fight with Ben was a clear lost for him in my opinion, and I soooo didn't want to see another fucking rematch. I understand that Frankie felt like he gave rematches...but one of those was due to a draw and the other was a much closer fight. I just didn't feel a rematch was warranted in the first place (maybe BJ didn't deserve one, too?) and I felt like it would've been nice to see him come out and really handle business, leaving no confusion. I could probably say the same about Ben in this fight, but I thought he did that in the first fight, anyway.

Also, I'm excited for Diaz vs. Ben. I have a feeling Ben will rely on his crazy submission defense and Nate will show him that was a bad idea. It just seems like Ben allows himself to get in subs all the time because he knows he'll survive. Seems like every fight.

I kind of see what you're saying. I did feel that the two rematches that Frankie gave were unavoidable. By most persons' accounts, he lost to BJ in the first fight and he drew with Maynard. In fact, I think Frankie lost to BJ more clearly than he did to Bendo in their respective first encounters.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos