Username
Password

09:40 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
Springfield, MO
Male - 29 Years Old
Really wish Kansas City could get an event. I'd be there in a heartbeat.
10:12 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
4Who4What
Future Eagle
Auburn, WA
Male - 29 Years Old
10:14 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Figure8Guitar
Columbia, MO
Male - 24 Years Old
So he was scared...

And how long could Sonnen possibly have known? Like maybe a couple weeks. Hardly enough time to get ready. What is 21 days compared to 8 days to prepare? It's still Greg Jackson being a dumbass.

My point was that he wasn't getting off of his couch to fight Jon or something. He was probably more prepared than people are giving him credit for. Besides, Chael's the one who said himself that he is never "in-between camps" and that he's always training and in shape year-round.

I'm not standing up for Jones, btw. That was just another side of this whole thing that no one considered.

Also, like they said before, this whole week wasn't even going to consist of training. A few weeks ago would give you at least 2 full weeks to at least prepare a LITTLE. During fight week, you don't train. You just do media stuff and cut weight. So I guess there is some difference.
10:17 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
badger52683
AP Madden Vet
FL
Male - 31 Years Old
My point was that he wasn't getting off of his couch to fight Jon or something. He was probably more prepared than people are giving him credit for. Besides, Chael's the one who said himself that he is never "in-between camps" and that he's always training and in shape year-round.

I'm not standing up for Jones, btw. That was just another side of this whole thing that no one considered.

Ya, I know, but still... Even if Chael did know right when he started the twitter battle. That isn't going to make much of a difference. Chael will be way more ready after getting a tune up fight against Forrest Griffin. Jon Jones and Greg Jackson are just stupid for not stopping Chael now. I think they are scared. For no reason.
10:31 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Figure8Guitar
Columbia, MO
Male - 24 Years Old
Ya, I know, but still... Even if Chael did know right when he started the twitter battle. That isn't going to make much of a difference. Chael will be way more ready after getting a tune up fight against Forrest Griffin. Jon Jones and Greg Jackson are just stupid for not stopping Chael now. I think they are scared. For no reason.

I know, I agree. Now was a much better opportunity to beat him and make sure he doesn't get a proper title shot in the future.

I didn't get my edit to my last post made in time, I guess. The only advantage Chael really had in knowing ahead of time, is that if he knew a couple weeks back, he could have been training for at least a week, whereas Jones wouldn't get to train at all. This upcoming week leading to the fight is all weight-cutting and media stuff. No training.
10:38 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Stavie Steelo
Chicago
Male - 24 Years Old
I think Chael gets the next shot now. Not only did he step up but the UFC will cash in on the trash talk and hype around the fight now. I don't see them doing any favors for Machida and Rua since they both turned down the title shot next month.
10:47 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
koryoreo
Fuck You Seattle
Portland, Oregon
Male - 26 Years Old
I think Chael gets the next shot now. Not only did he step up but the UFC will cash in on the trash talk and hype around the fight now. I don't see them doing any favors for Machida and Rua since they both turned down the title shot next month.

I assume Chael still has to beat Forrest and one more opponent convincingly to get a shot. Otherwise he would have been put on UFC 152 vs. Jones. Dana said Chael was only getting the shot because it was such a desperate situation. I assume Hendo still gets his shot when he's healthy and I wouldn't doubt that Alexander Gustafsson gets a title shot if/when he destroys shogun.
11:47 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
They didn't ruin it for the other fighters. Jon Jones did that. No fighter has ever refused to fight....EVER. They probably will have a backup plan now as long as Jon Jones is in the main event.

The UFC cant put on an event on PPV that cant sell PPVs.

BULLSHIT. Jon Jones has absolutely no power to cancel cards or other fights. They SHOULD always have a backup main event in case one fighter pulls out (DAN HENDERSON).

He's carefully worked his ass of training and preparing for his opponents and it got him to the point where he is now the defending champion who is knocking off former champions left and right. It is the definition of throwing him under the bus to expect him to take a fight with a fighter who just lost a middleweight fight with no time to train or prepare at all. BY THE WAY, Chael and Dan train together...so Chael has basically been training for Jon, anyway.

The UFC makes cards and the UFC cancels cards. Period.

Also, OF COURSE fighters have turned down fights, including champions.
11:54 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
I'll still shit talk Jones because none of these other guys that turned the fight down have been in camp, training---ready for a fight on Sept 1st, Jones was.

He was training for Dan Henderson, not Chael Sonnen. His entire camp and mindset are strictly focused on a particular fighter (kind of the way Chael has an edge already in training because he trained FOR Jon Jones w/ Dan Henderson...).

Giving him a guy who just lost a middleweight fight with only a couple days to train is not fair to him at all. Just like it's not fair for the UFC to cancel an entire event and blame it on this one fighter because they didn't prepare for a maincard emergency.
11:58 AM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
4Who4What
Future Eagle
Auburn, WA
Male - 29 Years Old
He was training for Dan Henderson, not Chael Sonnen. His entire camp and mindset are strictly focused on a particular fighter (kind of the way Chael has an edge already in training because he trained FOR Jon Jones w/ Dan Henderson...).

Giving him a guy who just lost a middleweight fight with only a couple days to train is not fair to him at all. Just like it's not fair for the UFC to cancel an entire event and blame it on this one fighter because they didn't prepare for a maincard emergency.

But its like Dana White said last night on Sportscenter.

Chael and Dan have trained together for a LONG LONG time and really their only difference is that Chael is a Southpaw. He mentioned that Chael doesn't hit nearly as hard as Dan does, its pretty much the same damn fight.

This was a safer fight for Jones than Hendo was, especially since Chael wasn't even near fight weight with 8 days to go.
12:04 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Stavie Steelo
Chicago
Male - 24 Years Old
Hendo isn't a wrestler anymore. He would be looking to knock him out. Chael would look to smother Jones on the ground taking away his biggest advantage, his reach.
12:06 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
But its like Dana White said last night on Sportscenter.

Chael and Dan have trained together for a LONG LONG time and really their only difference is that Chael is a Southpaw. He mentioned that Chael doesn't hit nearly as hard as Dan does, its pretty much the same damn fight.

I don't buy it, though. Dana isn't a fighter and certainly hasn't trained for either guy. Preparing for a Southpaw on a few days notice is a big deal, and just to say that they are both wrestlers way over simplifies an mma fight. I really doubt that they throw the exact same kind of punches, combinations, kicks, and keep their hands in the same position all the time. No doubt their wrestling technique is different, too. They have some general similiarities, but Chael Sonnen is by no means the same fighter with the same weaknesses that Dan Henderson is.

And, like I said, Chael has been helping Dan train for Jon, so Chael has actually been getting plenty of training specifically for Jon Jones, while Jon hasn't trained for Chael for a second.

Most importantly - JON JONES CAN'T CANCEL A CARD OR CANCEL OTHER FIGHTERS FIGHTS. That was hands down a Zuffa decision and I'm not a promoter, but I don't think it was a good one.
12:13 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
badger52683
AP Madden Vet
FL
Male - 31 Years Old
That isn't really the point. We know Jon Jones can't cancel the card, but the UFC had no choice because he wouldn't play ball. UFC is partly to blame, yes, but they would do this event Sept 1 if they could.

People seem to think this is just an elaborate plan by Dana and the UFC to bash Jon Jones and Greg Jackson. Kind of an expensive smear campaign, dont you think?

And to say we are oversimplifying this whole deal is ridiculous. Greg Jackson is really just overcomplicating things. This is probably why he comes up with gameplans of running away from the fight... when its a fight...??? Another reason why Dana hates this clown. These guys are fighters, but they are starting to act like they are reinventing the wheel here.

Jon Jones apologists are also overcomplicating this thing. All he had to do was fight a guy on short notice... that's all. Instead he is too scared to lose his belt. You are a champion. Act like you know you are the best.

Furthermore, Jon Jones basically contradicted himself in every tough guy statement he has ever made. Another reason why he looks silly.
12:13 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Stavie Steelo
Chicago
Male - 24 Years Old
I just dont like how Dana says Jon has money and should of fought for the other guys who need it. He is looking out for his career, can't blame him, he didn't think or want the whole card cancelled. Dana has 10x the money that Jones has. Along with he can promote his while life, Jon can't fight his whole life. Dana should of took the hit financially on this one for the lower ranked fighters and offered refunds for the fans if they wanted just like they did with the Diaz Condit fight. He tried to take the blame completely off him.
12:15 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Stavie Steelo
Chicago
Male - 24 Years Old
Also Silva said he will fight if they could find someone who would take the fight than they should do it. Just because it was cancelled doesn't mean they can't put the fight on still. Doubt the arena already booked something.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos