Username
Password

01:44 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
None of this bickering changes the fact that Jon Jones refused to fight a middleweight.
01:46 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
I just dont like how Dana says Jon has money and should of fought for the other guys who need it. He is looking out for his career, can't blame him, he didn't think or want the whole card cancelled. Dana has 10x the money that Jones has. Along with he can promote his while life, Jon can't fight his whole life. Dana should of took the hit financially on this one for the lower ranked fighters and offered refunds for the fans if they wanted just like they did with the Diaz Condit fight. He tried to take the blame completely off him.

Dana is being a bully and covering his ass, period. It's his fault as President that an entire card was cancelled. They weren't prepared in this case.

NOBODY can say that if the UFC had stacked this card with a couple more big fights that they wouldn't of just had a different main event. The UFC put all their money on ONE fight happening and one of the fighters got hurt and the other didn't was to risk his career to fight unprepared.
01:48 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
None of this bickering changes the fact that Jon Jones refused to fight a middleweight.

in a championship fight with only a couple days to prepare.

I wouldn't expect him to put everything he has earned at serious risk because the UFC was sloppy with their matchmaking and their lack of a backup plan.
01:49 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
You can't stack every card. The UFC employ a pile of fighters that need to fight regularly, not every card can be loaded with superstars.

Also, people seem to be forgetting this card had a solid co-main event with Koscheck vs. Ellenberger, but Koscheck also had to pull out due to injury.
01:51 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
badger52683
AP Madden Vet
FL
Male - 31 Years Old
The UFC did not have their hands tied, period. They didn't prepare for an emergency and they decided to cancel the whole event. They could've just had the event anyway and taken the heat for not being prepared. INSTEAD they throw Jon under the bus and cancel the whole event.

I was saying it's an oversimplification of MMA to suggest that training for Dan Henderson is the same as training for Chael Sonnen. It IS an oversimplification. Jon is being smart in not chancing his belt and all of his hard work and training by throwing it out the door because the UFC did plan for an emergency in the main event.

Shogun and Machida BOTH refused to fight Jones because they are aware that a championship fight is not something to just jump into without PROPER training for a particular fighter. Nobody wants to be sloppy in their decision making when it comes to championship fights.

Again... Shogun and Machida turning it down are not even remotely similar. They aren't ready to fight ANYBODY.

Jon Jones is more ready to fight than anybody the UFC can put in front of him, and that is a FACT. That is why he looks like a scared entitled brat.
01:53 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
badger52683
AP Madden Vet
FL
Male - 31 Years Old
in a championship fight with only a couple days to prepare.

I wouldn't expect him to put everything he has earned at serious risk because the UFC was sloppy with their matchmaking and their lack of a backup plan.

How is everything he has earned at risk? If he loses does he go bankrupt? He would get another shot immediately... this is the OMG I CANT LOSE mentality that is killing the sport.

Does Nike pull out after losing one fight? No, infact they should pull out now after he acted like a bitch.
01:54 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
I don't mean they should put 3 championship fights on each card, but they should a couple extra potential main events.

This would've been much easier if they had just put Ellenberger v Heiron as the main event. They would've gotten a little shit, but it would've saved a LOT of people (and fighters) money. and they could've offered a refund for people who were no longer interested.

I know I would've still gladly paid for the card.
01:57 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Stavie Steelo
Chicago
Male - 24 Years Old
I was pumped to see Ellenberger v Heiron myself, it's not main event worthy but still would of been a very entertaining fight.
01:58 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
How is everything he has earned at risk? If he loses does he go bankrupt? He would get another shot immediately... this is the OMG I CANT LOSE mentality that is killing the sport.

Does Nike pull out after losing one fight? No, infact they should pull out now after he acted like a bitch.

That is silly. He has a long undefeated streak including 4 champions and a couple title defenses and...oh yeah...THE BELT. He has a ton to lose and pretty much nothing to gain.

This OMG I can't lose mentality has lead him to become one of the most dominant fighters in the sport with his name in the GREATEST OF ALL TIME discussion.

So talk shit on him all you want, but he is in the position he is in for a reason. He has not been playing it safe, as he is known for all kinds of wacky throws and strikes that 99% of fighters would never throw because they are too risky.
01:59 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Might have saved the fans some money, but not a single one of them would have been happy they spent what they did to see Ellenberger vs. Hieron main event.
02:00 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
badger52683
AP Madden Vet
FL
Male - 31 Years Old
UFC deserves blame... but none of this would matter if Jon Jones took the fight. It's that simple.

I'm not going to expect the UFC to donate millions to people just because Jon Jones wouldn't fight somebody.
02:02 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
badger52683
AP Madden Vet
FL
Male - 31 Years Old
That is silly. He has a long undefeated streak including 4 champions and a couple title defenses and...oh yeah...THE BELT. He has a ton to lose and pretty much nothing to gain.

This OMG I can't lose mentality has lead him to become one of the most dominant fighters in the sport with his name in the GREATEST OF ALL TIME discussion.

So talk shit on him all you want, but he is in the position he is in for a reason. He has not been playing it safe, as he is known for all kinds of wacky throws and strikes that 99% of fighters would never throw because they are too risky.

No it hasn't. He has won all these fights because he is just that good. The most legendary fights are the ones where guys go back and forth with the belt. Jon Jones has ruined his legacy with this. He could have just taken the fight and won... moved on. It makes no logical sense.
02:10 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
blindrider529
Lynnwood, WA
Male - 28 Years Old
No it hasn't. He has won all these fights because he is just that good. The most legendary fights are the ones where guys go back and forth with the belt. Jon Jones has ruined his legacy with this. He could have just taken the fight and won... moved on. It makes no logical sense.

AND HE IS JUST THAT GOOD BECAUSE HE IS SMART AND HE STUDIES HIS OPPONENTS TO A T. In this case they were trying to force him to sacrifice everything with a few days to prepare because the promoters failed at having a backup plan.

He didn't ruin his legacy, he just inflamed the butthurt haters who complain no matter what he does. He made a smart decision - the UFC did not.
02:18 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
badger52683
AP Madden Vet
FL
Male - 31 Years Old
Except he's not being smart here... fight a not ready Chael or a ready Chael??? How hard is it to watch some film on Chael and put together a quick gameplan? This is just Greg Jackson being a weirdo.

The UFC had a backup plan. Jon Jones rejected it cause he got scared of losing the belt to a middleweight.

It goes back to that quote from Jackson for me: "This would be the biggest mistake of your life..." This guy is just crazy.
03:06 PM on 08/24/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I've never understood the whole "haters just hate whatever Jones does" mentality. He has these "haters" because he thinks he's bigger than the sport.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos