AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Late Night Habit - The Single Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 89%

Late Night Habit - The Single Life

Reviewed by: dlongo (07/21/09)
Late Night Habit - The Single Life
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: July 21, 2009

Fans of Parade The Day probably know who the guys in Late Night Habit are (and if not, shame on you), but overall, Late Night Habit has been under the radar. The current project of ex-Parade The Day members Matt Wolk and Nick Marfing, formally titled Clouds & Cities, splashes onto the scene with the perfect album for the summer months with The Single Life.

Wolk sent out a note to the MySpace fans of LNH talking about how Parade The Day’s “To Keep Us Moving” was his baby for so long, and there will always be a special place for those songs, and now he is equally as proud of this release. Granted I will never have those exact same feelings for the songs as him, I do feel my thoughts relate to that statement.

The Single Life features seven songs about love, life, lessons learned, and pretty much all the topics you would expect from a summer album. Lots and lots of people will relate to the words, but even more people will be drawn in by the music. They may not have written these songs for radio, MTV, or any other mainstream outlet, but it would not surprise me if they end up getting airtime somewhere.

The EP starts out with “Summer Girls” (no, not a cover of the LFO song, sorry) and it really sets the tone for the rest of the tracks. The keyboard sets the rhythm for the song early; it’s got a mellower pace to it, but then once the chorus hits you get the energy and hooks that are featured throughout. Track two, “Sometimes I’m All Heart” is a new one for those who followed the band. It’s definitely not a standout track on the CD, but it fits in great and brings the listener into a stretch of three songs that were released under the name Clouds & Cities, all three of which bring catchy hooks and lyrics that will make the listener think about certain times in their life. “Stories,” the EP’s fifth song, is my personal favorite track. It has been since they released it months back and if you don’t feel the need to sing along or get into the music, then pop music must not be your thing.

I think the sequencing of tracks six and seven is where there was a mistake made. “Crazy Love” and “Hopeless Romantic” round out the EP, in that respective order, and I really feel it should have been “Hopeless Romantic” then “Crazy Love” to close it out. “Hopeless Romantic” is another great piece of pop-rock music. Placing it after the song “Stories” would make for a killer back-to-back sequence, and then the much slower ballad of sorts, “Crazy Love”, could close off the CD. Even the lyrics of the song lend themselves to that position, as the chorus beings with “This is goodbye.”

Overall I believe Late Night Habit have an EP worthy of the purchase by any Parade The Day fan, and basically any fan of music that enjoys Boys Like Girls, All Time Low, and all the other bands with radio-ready music. The songs are sing-alongs, they are catchy, and most importantly, they sound good. Give it some time in your summer rotation and you won’t be disappointed.

Recommended If You LikeParade The Day; Boys Like Girls; The Summer Set

http://www.myspace.com/latenighthabit

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
05:30 PM on 08/07/09
roche
You think a pirate lives in there?
User Info.
Great review man, so glad I can get my Parade the Day fix from somewhere.
08:14 AM on 08/08/09
dlongo
Amplified Esq.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hear ya. Thanks for checking it out.
03:52 PM on 09/21/09
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
I absolutely love these guys. I can't believe I didn't catch that they changed their name--total coincidence I stumbled upon LNH and realized the change. Love, love, love these guys. Parade the Day will always be one of my favorite bands.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version